Lt. Commander
This may be of some interest to those of you who are concerned about the future of organized PvP in STO:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho....php?p=3016686

I figured I'd put it in the forum that dstahl actually tends to read, but it'll probably scroll off there pretty quickly too.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Please help! I dont know what cryptic can do to be compleatly honest.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorena
Please help! I dont know what cryptic can do to be compleatly honest.
It's a rough situation, to be sure. I'm not sure there is any resource-efficient way out of it. And if there isn't, then I sort of expect that the response is going to be indefinite postponement ("we'll definitely be doing this at some point in the future") or possibly even a well-spun no ("we will be supporting PvP as much as possible, but cannot dedicate large amounts of resources to what is essentially a very tiny fraction of our player base").
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-07-2010, 02:11 PM
I have 8 days on my sub and can't come up with a good reason to renew. There is no future of pvp in sto, all that is left is to accept this reality and move on I'm afraid.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Well, they could take the carrot dangling from a stick approach. Actually start giving bigger rewards to do PvP.

Seeing a trio of PvP games participated to provide a large number of emblems daily (I dunno... 7?) could be a fricking big incentive. Enough to have PvEers feel it's worth showing up in PvP even if they aren't big fans. Some might end up liking for they see and stay around. Besides, the extra emblems will be pretty irrelevant when people have their Mk11 gear cap anyhow.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-07-2010, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoberraz View Post
Well, they could take the carrot dangling from a stick approach. Actually start giving bigger rewards to do PvP.
This would require them making the Emblem rewards actually worth getting in the first place - many people still have their Mk X purples because they're mechanically superior to their badly-designed XI purple counterparts. Shields and Deflectors are notable examples of this.

I agree that bribery (increasing PvP emblem rewards) might be of help as you say, but it's a weaker incentive for organized PvP play than casual.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-07-2010, 02:32 PM
*grimaces* I wouldn't know. I haven't actually bought anything with the 35ish emblems I've accumulated thus far.

Well, there's always the 'ultimate' reward of earning enough emblems to get a retrofit ship too. Slap the Tier 5 Nebula and Excelsior retrofits as obtainable via emblems (maybe even the Galaxy X?), give a good emblem reward to PvP and maybe the Excelsior/Nebula fans that haven't bought them on C-Store will start PvPing their butts off to get them. (heck, maybe FvK matches give bonus emblems too, just to get some Feds out of the FvF matches to bother fighting klingons if that's a problem)

Following that idea, I'd say that breathing more life in the revamped PvP aspect of STO is more important to sustain a healthy playerbase than C-Store monetary gains. I think that keeping the clientele interested will provide more dividends in the future for Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-08-2010, 12:00 AM
I will say it again. pve content is of no interest to me. And more of it is like a slap in the face! I'll only take so many more slaps
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-08-2010, 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgecase View Post
This would require them making the Emblem rewards actually worth getting in the first place - many people still have their Mk X purples because they're mechanically superior to their badly-designed XI purple counterparts. Shields and Deflectors are notable examples of this.

I agree that bribery (increasing PvP emblem rewards) might be of help as you say, but it's a weaker incentive for organized PvP play than casual.
The MK XI items are a small improvement in a lot of cases.

The shields, for example. Are situationally useful. They problem is, their prohibitive price makes them pointless to grind.

If PVP daily gave out 10 times more emblems per daily completion ... this might change. You could get a weapon per day doing the PVP. Or a console per day. This might have an impact. And might finally increase interest in the slight improvement that some Mk XI's are.
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-08-2010, 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
The MK XI items are a small improvement in a lot of cases.

The shields, for example. Are situationally useful. They problem is, their prohibitive price makes them pointless to grind.

If PVP daily gave out 10 times more emblems per daily completion ... this might change. You could get a weapon per day doing the PVP. Or a console per day. This might have an impact. And might finally increase interest in the slight improvement that some Mk XI's are.
or would just increase the number of people going AFK in PVP :p