Lt. Commander
Hello everyone,

again, I did a proof of concept machinima. This time, the scope is somewhat larger than what I did previously. I did a play through of "Cold Call" and enhanced it with cut scenes and automatic text-to-speech voice overs.

This result can be achieved in about roughly four days. Since I have a real live, I will not be able to do the complete Breen Series in this way. However I think, this video demonstrates how cut scenes and voice acting could improve the game significantly.

Due to my bad estimation of how long the synthesized VOs would be, the NPCs will sometimes have to keep talking, although the dialog window is closed or leave out some bits and pieces. Also, I did some research on health and shield strength of NPC entities for the wiki, so please ignore my steady use of the info window and map.

I cannot quite understand DStahl, when he says that the use of cut scenes would extensively slow down episode creation. The cut scenes in the video where done using the demoplay editor in under four hours. And unlike the devs I had to do capturing and video editing along the way. Also, there are some additional cut-scenes for fights, explosions and flybys that would not be in a playable mission. When you already have scripted events like the Breen beaming in, how difficult would it be, to hook up a camera animation created in the demoplay editor to that event? Yes, I is some work, but I cannot imagine, that the creation of each cut scenes actually means the loss of a whole playable episode. Or does Genesis really do that much work for you, that you can create missions in under four hours?

That being said, I hope you enjoy the video (actually it is a 23 min playlist), although it is one and a half week late to the party.

YouTube-Link to Playlist
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-08-2010, 09:46 AM
Awesome! I can't watch it right now 'cause I'm at school, but I'll load it up when I get home.

I totally agree, some cut-scenes, even just short ones like the warp in/out ones, would add a ton to this game. Maybe if we raise enough of a stink over this, they'll start working on it like everything else they've put in. :p
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-08-2010, 10:12 AM
nice

they make their own videos as well for certain features. it seams easy enough for them to do, the only thing i can think of, and i might be talking complete rubbish here, is to make a video and display it as a simple video file that can play on you tube is completely different to actually coding it into a computer game.

im sure if it was that easy to do they would do it. i trust him when he says its very time consuming and as they make their own videos its not like they dont know how to do it, so there must be some technical stuff that we are missing.

the bit at the start of the second vid when they beam down to defera looks really nice and really shows off the city. id love to see that in game.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Well, there's that spiffy video intro sequence at the start of the game, plus the warp/beam in/out sequences, so the tech is definitely there.
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-08-2010, 11:53 AM
i'm pretty sure theyre talking about more sophisticated cut scenes, than the short cutaways you see here. Like the aforementioned intro sequence.

i think the lack of cutaways is a design choice, so that you arn't constantly plucking control from the player. I do think short cutaways when you beam in somewhere would be a great touch.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allerka View Post
Well, there's that spiffy video intro sequence at the start of the game, plus the warp/beam in/out sequences, so the tech is definitely there.
i dont think anyone is saying they cant do it, the only question is how long it takes to actually put in.
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyShoe
i'm pretty sure theyre talking about more sophisticated cut scenes, than the short cutaways you see here. Like the aforementioned intro sequence.
Actually, the intro is not that different. Besides the Klingon vs. Federation and Borg vs. Federation battles, the rest is only the camera moving through space. And I would think, that the battles are simply done by pitting two AI factions against each other, maybe with a hand full of manually timed explosions. Of course, the intro was quite a piece of work, but mainly because most of the scenes required a new planetary system to be built. In a mission like Cold Call, I do not see where you would require to build more "sets" than the ones you have already in the game.

Although I have to agree, that in some games, cut scenes can be quite an annoyance. So I do not want to say, that they must be used extensively in the game. But as you said, a nice (skip-able) establishing shot right after the map has been loaded or a boss enemy enters the scene would be nice.

Regards,
Rachel
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-08-2010, 03:45 PM
TBH, I never cared for the voice over in the Tutorial anyway. It's an impressive effort (although a bit stiff and electronic), but I'm not one who really thinks VOs are neccessary.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-08-2010, 08:51 PM
That was neat to watch with voice overs it finally felt like an episode......for shame on Cryptic for not including that quality in these new episodes. From now on quality control/ assurance should make sure voice overs are in all new eposonic content.

We only need a 4or 5 of voices for our BOs and then for each race. When you hear the voices it gives it the non low budget episode feel.