Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Galactic News Network
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
09-10-2010, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_illustrious_q
Is there going to be an ingame event, (or at least announcement) at 8:46 AM EST and at 9:03 AM EST in honor of thosewho preished in the 9/11 attacks?
It is not something that should get an official ingame event. Halloween, Christmas, and Valentine's Day are the usual events that get celebrated in MMOs. The anniversary when Zephram Cochrane launched his starship and met the Vulcans or Kahless uniting the Klingons are far more appropriate holidays to remember. After all, not all STO players are Americans and non-Americans don't have the same attitude as Americans do. If you and some friends want to get together at Club 47 or another club to have a memorial, then go for it.
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-10-2010, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_illustrious_q
Is there going to be an ingame event, (or at least announcement) at 8:46 AM EST and at 9:03 AM EST in honor of thosewho preished in the 9/11 attacks?
Why would there be a 9/11 memorial some 408 years in the future when humanity has moved past national identity on Earth and is working on inter-quadrant relationships? It would seem specious.
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-11-2010, 12:54 AM
While I agree it doesn't work with the ingame timeline or genre; I do not understand how this is an issue about 'Americans' vs 'non-Americans' aka 'everybody else' or national identity...

Monsters killed 3000 people in a horrific way; I understand if Cryptic doesn't want to mark it because of the fact that this is supposed to be a video game aka 'a means of escape from the harsh realities of life that we're trying to switch off for a few hours' and cryptic doesn't want to harsh our mellow while we're having fun.

However, to make this a controversy about nationality and attitudes, or joke about how it was 408 years ago, I do not it find tasteful or funny. I don't know of one peace loving or compassionate person across this beautiful but often dangerous world that would not care about the massacre of 3000 individuals or have an issue with giving them some small measure of honor on this day, even a subdued one...

The folks at Cryptic are people too you know; they might not make an announcement but I'm sure they'd have no problem with the community paying respects, I bet they'll even join in...
In fact... I'm going to organize something ingame during my radio show tonight...
Lt. Commander
# 14 Weekly episodes are awesome.
09-11-2010, 01:24 AM
The weekly release of the Feature Episodes is a great idea. Moreover, the story is really interesting and I love it how Cryptic combines the canon-species Breen with their own creation, the Deferi, into this storyline.
Thank you, Developers!
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-11-2010, 01:35 AM
l like when the fed ambassador says not to cause trouble in this region.

errm was that before or after i got an accolade for killing 200 of their ships
Lt. Commander
# 16
09-11-2010, 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Jiro and Jempok
You may have already noticed that there is a new contact option in the Defera Sector this week to speak to a political representative from your faction. Over the next several episodes, you'll begin to see your faction's political response to the events taking place with the Breen and the Deferi. While there is no direct mission related to these contacts, they are there to help add depth to the story. We hope you enjoy this!
I love this for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
i l like when the fed ambassador says not to cause touble in this region.

After the Dominion War, the official definition of "trouble" has been ... loosened up a bit.
Lt. Commander
# 17
09-11-2010, 02:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
i l like when the fed ambassador says not to cause touble in this region.

hehe yeah so true!
Looks like some one at Star Fleet Command does not read his memos, infact Quinn must have a cone of silence over him in his office. ^^

Nice one Cryptic, another thing to look forward to in the weekends.
Lt. Commander
# 18
09-11-2010, 02:32 AM
-crosses fingers, hoping the next reward is either a CRM 200 or a Neural Truncheon-
Lt. Commander
# 19
09-11-2010, 02:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MundaneRaptor View Post
While I agree it doesn't work with the ingame timeline or genre; I do not understand how this is an issue about 'Americans' vs 'non-Americans' aka 'everybody else' or national identity...
Each country has instances of tragic events that define a part of their country. However, 9/11 doesn't have the same impact to the rest of the world as it does to Americans. Sure it is tragic, but the Haiti Earthquake, Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill, and various other natural disasters are more of a concern to the rest of the world. Everyone is concerned about their own piece of the world and are only mildly concerned about global events. A person in Asia doesn't care about an event in America that happened years ago just like a person in North America doesn't care about an event in Asia that happened years ago. Why should a person in Europe have to be reminded about the actions of a few idiots that would intentionally kill themselves for some undeserved payback rather than trying to make their country better? IMO, it is a subject that should involve rebuilding and moving on rather than dwelling on it. No country is better than any other country and to think otherwise is shortsighted. After all, it is one of the beliefs of the Federation.
Lt. Commander
# 20
09-11-2010, 03:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mox
hehe yeah so true!
Looks like some one at Star Fleet Command does not read his memos, infact Quinn must have a cone of silence over him in his office. ^^

Nice one Cryptic, another thing to look forward to in the weekends.
It may be that Starfleet (a military organization) and the Federation (a political organization) have an internal conflict of interest when it comes to the Deferi and the Breen. Especially with the Klingons (who are at war with the Federation) taking such an interest in honoring their friendship to the Deferi.

I'm curious to see how this internal debate will unfold myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGoblin256 View Post
-crosses fingers, hoping the next reward is either a CRM 200 or a Neural Truncheon-
Awesome Avatar btw...