Lt. Commander
# 1 Rescue Deferi Captives (Daily)
09-12-2010, 04:45 PM
So I just completed this mission without firing a shot.

I'd just like to give a quick tip of the hat to whomever designed this mission.

*SPOILER ALERT*

Watching the Breen come about as I read what my science officer was saying... excellent.

Having the Breen ask for payment for the slaves. Not bad.

Having my tactical officer suggest something ... well... tactical. Great.

The science officer piping in with some brilliant scheme to fool the Breen sensors so we could beam off the Deferi and then get away before they discover the trick? BRILLIANT! Most Trek-like mission to date. Felt like the perfect starfleet solution to the problem. The only thing that could have made it better was voice-overs bringing that little extra bit of life to the Boffs actions.

But all in all, I loved it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-12-2010, 05:43 PM
The KDF version is equally as amusing, the breen still try to get you to pay for the defari but your tatical officer basically says the insult you (the captain) and the empire and should be fired on. Which you have to do or you fail the mission.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-12-2010, 07:02 PM
This was actually a lot of fun. I enjoyed having options for completing this. I also completed it by using my science officer's recommendation and didn't have to fire a single phaser. This felt like a true Starfleet solution. Sometimes it's not all about fire power! Great job, Devs!!
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-13-2010, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash-Brewster View Post
The KDF version is equally as amusing, the breen still try to get you to pay for the defari but your tatical officer basically says the insult you (the captain) and the empire and should be fired on. Which you have to do or you fail the mission.
Does anyone know if you can complete this mission as a klingon? You would think you could threaten them in to submission or soehting but i always seem to provoke them and fail the mission
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-13-2010, 07:08 AM
As the KDF, our options seem limited to kill or fail.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-13-2010, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
As the KDF, our options seem limited to kill or fail.
Dont they ask for 1000 GPL at one point?
Or is there no option to give them that GPL?
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd4921
Dont they ask for 1000 GPL at one point?
Or is there no option to give them that GPL?
If one has 1000GPL, I can only assume that it would work to pay the ransom.
I do not have 1000GPL and seek another means to solve the riddle.
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-13-2010, 11:46 AM
We should get a alternative option like the feds have though more along the lines of using a tachyon burst to make the breen have to reset their shields and beaming over to resue the defari in the few seconds that their shields are down.

The Enterprise E uses this tatic on the s'ona in insurection.
Though it seems that the devs have the impression that the klingons are more like the pakleds and too stupid to understand science skills and abilities which is not true, there have been many instances of a klingon showing a understanding of this kind of thing.
Lt. Commander
# 9
09-13-2010, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash-Brewster View Post
We should get a alternative option like the feds have though more along the lines of using a tachyon burst to make the breen have to reset their shields and beaming over to resue the defari in the few seconds that their shields are down.

The Enterprise E uses this tatic on the s'ona in insurection.
Though it seems that the devs have the impression that the klingons are more like the pakleds and too stupid to understand science skills and abilities which is not true, there have been many instances of a klingon showing a understanding of this kind of thing.
Klingons are not as stupid as Pakleds. Otherwise there would have been no point to introduce the Pakleds.

But it is is clearly a Federation Engineering/Scientist shtick to come up with odd deflector dish modifications to achieve the required effect of the day. I think there is even a scene where the Jem'Hardar mention their admiration for this ability of Starfleet Engineers, implying that this type of improvisation is not found on others.

If you want the Klingons not to be only taking scraps from the Feddie table, a Klingon option should be fully Klingon. Challenging the Breen to honor duel, or simply dropping his shields with disruptor fire and then beaming the Deferi over. That's the Klingon approach.
As a Klingon, one might even question whether someone that was taken as a slave deserves a rescue, or if his honor can only be restored by dying with the ship he was enslaved on. (Not necessarily all Klingons will come to that conclusion, but it might be on the table.)

Remember that episode about the Klingon-Federation-Benzite Officer exchange program? The Klingons reaction to finding some kind of metal-eating organic material was not studying it and finding counter-measures, but looking for a way to avenge the suspected betrayal of the Enterprise. That's how Klingon priorities should be. Unless they are just Feds with funny foreheads. (But why would we need another one of those?)
Lt. Commander
# 10
09-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
If one has 1000GPL, I can only assume that it would work to pay the ransom.
I do not have 1000GPL and seek another means to solve the riddle.
If you pay, you still have to fight or your fail the mission. At least, that's what happened to me.