Lt. Commander
# 141
08-22-2010, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorena
http://theenginescannaetakeit.wordpress.com/
THIS PAGE, read it its the sto bible imo
Sadly Its true- this guide has now become outdated and is only good for its base game mechanic equations.
Though I do still refer to it from time to time.
Lt. Commander
# 142
09-01-2010, 12:14 AM
I salute the OP on this guide. It really helps a tremendous amount.
Sadly, if you think about it, we really shouldn't have to do all this stuff just to survive in PvP combat.
I've played both sides for quite some time now, and its pretty ridiculous how overpowered Klingons are in the arena. Its next to impossible for Starfleet to win a match unless there are more Fed ships than Klingon. It can't be evenly matched or there's little to no chance of Starfleet winning. Feds have to do all this work, specialize their abilities specifically for the purpose of staying alive in PvP, whereas, playing as my Klingon captain, I can just go in with whatever skills I like, and often not break a sweat. As much as I get the cheap thrill of beating up on Fed ships with little trouble, I'm too much of an honorable Klingon to want it to stay this way. Hopefully Cryptic will balance things out soon.

There's my $ 0.02
Lt. Commander
# 143 Keep the change...
09-07-2010, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan.Skon View Post
Sadly, if you think about it, we really shouldn't have to do all this stuff just to survive in PvP combat.
I've played both sides for quite some time now, and its pretty ridiculous how overpowered Klingons are in the arena. Its next to impossible for Starfleet to win a match unless there are more Fed ships than Klingon. It can't be evenly matched or there's little to no chance of Starfleet winning. Feds have to do all this work, specialize their abilities specifically for the purpose of staying alive in PvP, whereas, playing as my Klingon captain, I can just go in with whatever skills I like, and often not break a sweat. As much as I get the cheap thrill of beating up on Fed ships with little trouble, I'm too much of an honorable Klingon to want it to stay this way. Hopefully Cryptic will balance things out soon.

There's my $ 0.02
Actually, if that's the conclusion you've drawn from your extensive game play on both sides then it isn't worth the two cents you are offering and it does a disservice to anyone looking to join PvP. The guide, while great in it's day and still having some very good tactics and information, hasn't been updated since May. As you can imagine there have been tremendous changes since then.

Some people seem to have it easy but that's because they've been working hard at it for a long time and know what they are doing. That holds truer and truer for both sides. All I'm saying is, just because someone has logged a lot of time online here doesn't make them awesome. It's the quality of learning you take away from it that makes the difference. If you go into a fight with this defeatist attitude that the opponents are overpowered it serves as a good excuse for losing but doesn't help make anyone better.

Now I say all of that but admit that it certainly has seemed that way on occasion. We have to consider any number of variables that could give two people such different opinions on the same subject. Maybe we fly at different times of the day and there is a skill gap based on time of day (who is off from work or school). Maybe you are running in with those hordes of people who don't care about PvP and are just there for the emblems - that is frustrating for BOTH sides. There is a much larger base of Fed players with many more distraction, than Kilnks who primarily PvP, so it stands to reason that there would be a higher amount of sub par players on the Fed side.

My points are, Klinks aren't overpowered. Feds don't need to have the advantage of numbers on their side as the only way to win. Balance is mostly fine as it is. It's not the ships or gameplay it's the people playing the game. Just showing up isn't going to make you a better PvPer on either side. So anyone who happens across this post, please don't be discouraged. PvP is a lot of fun with some minor BS mixed in (when the queues work properly). Hang in there, work hard, and soon people will think YOU are overpowered! ^^
Lt. Commander
# 144
09-07-2010, 02:18 PM
But he's dead right about not having to do all the stuff we need to do to survive in PvP.

It would be more of a challenge, accurate to the show and would even up the factions if we could only dispense with all the sneaky crap and just fight with our weapons!!
Lt. Commander
# 145
09-14-2010, 04:31 PM
Quote:
At least 1 EPS Flow Regulator (for weapon recharge and quick power preset switching).
Is this still necessary or is this a relic from an older version of the game? I was under the impression that EPS Flow Regulator was nerfed so it did not provide quicker weapon recharge any longer and that its main advantage in PvP is being able to switch in and out between Full Impulse and get power back after re-spawn quicker. Any tips?
Lt. Commander
# 146
09-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan.Skon View Post

There's my $ 0.02
What level pvp do you play at? T1 is very easy for the Klingons to win, but it quickly balances out by T3.
If you had such an easy time then you were not fighting experienced feds at T5 rank pvp -its vastly different and often goes iether way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKillerNacho View Post
Is this still necessary or is this a relic from an older version of the game? I was under the impression that EPS Flow Regulator was nerfed so it did not provide quicker weapon recharge any longer and that its main advantage in PvP is being able to switch in and out between Full Impulse and get power back after re-spawn quicker. Any tips?
EPS conduits still help with the ability to maintain constant power levels while firing rapidly.
Lt. Commander
# 147
09-14-2010, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
What level pvp do you play at? T1 is very easy for the Klingons to win, but it quickly balances out by T3.
If you had such an easy time then you were not fighting experienced feds at T5 rank pvp -its vastly different and often goes iether way.

EPS conduits still help with the ability to maintain constant power levels while firing rapidly.
Thanks for your reply. So in your opinion, they are still needed for consistent PvP?
Lt. Commander
# 148
09-14-2010, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Thanks for your reply. So in your opinion, they are still needed for consistent PvP?
I don't know that I ever really noticed the effect on weapon power, mostly because there is so much going on and I'm too slow to keep up with all of it, lol. Truthfully though, I always keep one equipped on everything I use. The advantages when swapping power levels around or recovering from full impulsing around just feels too good. Personal preference at least.
Lt. Commander
# 149
09-15-2010, 05:22 AM
Quote:
Depending on your build and vessel used they still have a purpose, but not a needed to be competitive.
Lt. Commander
# 150
09-15-2010, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Depending on your build and vessel used they still have a purpose, but not a needed to be competitive.
I took your advice and tried one on my Cruiser, and it has immensely helped. Thank you. I don't know what it is - but one high-value EPS seems to be like magic.