Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
Hey All,

I知 looking to build the best possible gaming system that I can that I can with a budget of 600.00 or less.

I知 currently running Intel Duo Core system that I built via parts just about 4 years ago and I don稚 really have any problems running STO but I would like a new system to play with.

I知 very out of the loop with what is the best bang for your buck when it comes to computer parts has well has complete systems these days so I was hoping to get some advice other gamers and see if I can at least get some kind of sense of what I should be looking for when building or buying a new system.

I really like building my own systems; however, I知 not against buying a pre built.

Here are some of the things that I知 looking for in my next system

CPU the fastest that I can get (I like Intel but I guess any will do)

Mother Board needs to support at least 16 gig of ram, have a good on board video, sound and wireless Network. An Expansion slot for a nice Gamers Video card and at least 2 Pci expansions slots (I知 not even sure if PCI is still relevant these days)
USB slots the more the merrier

Video Card: The best card possible for a poor persons gaming system

RAM: I guess DDR3 ram is the newest type out there; however, my current system is running 2 gigs of DDR2 ram and it痴 not all that bad. My existing mother board can only support up to 4 gigs or ram so if I can get a lot of DDR2 ram cheap I should be fine right?
I壇 like to start the new system out with at least 4 gigs of ram.

Case: I知 looking a mini tower that can support 4 internal sata drives and have room for 2 Dvd/Blu-Ray burners.

Please feel free to let me know if I知 overlooking something.

Please let me know your thoughts on what makes a good gaming system, list parts and brands that I should look into and I値l research everything and figure out would work best for me and how much money I can afford to spend on it.

Thanks for your time and your help
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-15-2010, 02:31 PM
First off www.newegg.com is the a good place to start. It may not always be the cheapest but you'll find good deals there and they have a very nice return policy.

Quote:
Mother Board needs to support at least 16 gig of ram, have a good on board video, sound and wireless Network.
Will you be running Windows 7? XP won't really use more then 3GB of ram. Also you're wasting money by having onboard video if you're going to buy a card.

Quote:
at least 2 Pci expansions slots (I知 not even sure if PCI is still relevant these days)
PCI-E 2.0 is what you want now for video cards.

What I do when I'm putting together a build for someone is start with a budget and if the system will be for a gamer or what. Then I just look though newegg for parts that will fit in that budget. Newegg has reviews on all the hardware so it's not hard to find the best bang for the buck there. Just sort by price, and look for the best item with in the range you want to spend.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Tom's Hardware has a quarterly "Systems Builder Marathon" that uses three different price brackets, and gives you a good idea as to what your money can buy at those levels.

You can find the value comparison writeup for this quarter's SBM here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ents,2725.html
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-15-2010, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarfox
First off www.newegg.com is the a good place to start. It may not always be the cheapest but you'll find good deals there and they have a very nice return policy.

Will you be running Windows 7? XP won't really use more then 3GB of ram. Also you're wasting money by having onboard video if you're going to buy a card.

PCI-E 2.0 is what you want now for video cards.

What I do when I'm putting together a build for someone is start with a budget and if the system will be for a gamer or what. Then I just look though newegg for parts that will fit in that budget. Newegg has reviews on all the hardware so it's not hard to find the best bang for the buck there. Just sort by price, and look for the best item with in the range you want to spend.
Hey thanks for the quick responce.

I'm running Windows 7.

The reason that I like having an on board video card is so I can have a backup just in case the one I buys dies (Its happend to me in the past and it was a pain to deal with)

Someone in my office told me to go to pricewatch.com but I hear it's not has good has it was years ago.

Thanks again