Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
09-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Yeah, that's happened quiet a few times to me. We die at or about the same time and we pop in the same spot.
Lt. Commander
# 22
09-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Is it considered spawn camping or a smart tactic when a player starts dropping turrets at the spawn point?
It has happened once to me on a respawn. Big surprise to fade into existance to see this going on and immediatly get attacked. I killed the guy and moved on to the bigger fight, but didn't find it so upsetting as to post about it.
Lt. Commander
# 23
09-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dank65
The easiest fix for this is to move from your spawn and as a matter of fact most of the time when we see
the feds noving to the middle we hold off on our inatial attack and we follow them back to the middle.

So yes this is easily avoidable.......
You're right about it being the Feds fault if they get spawn camped in space. I'm iffy on moving to the middle as a solution though.

On the fed side I'll normally go full impulse to 15 or 20 km away from the spawn almost immediately. Not all the way to the middle, just enough to get some breathing room.

There's a couple of problems with clearing away from the spawn point, especially in PUGs. The most common issue is that everybody has to move at about the same time. If you take time to type instructions, the Klinks will already be on you, so you need to start moving and just hope the rest of the team is thinking the same thing you are. Which is why going all the way to the middle is a bad idea -- if you go 15km away then at least your team can still see you and get to you quickly, even if they didn't think to move at first.

The second complication is that everyone needs to move the same distance. It helps to have one person for everyone to follow. Very often in PUGs, once one person makes it okay to move, everyone decides they are going to lead or stop at different times. Another thing I see a lot is that cloaked Defiants go out front to try and pass the enemy, but then everyone tries to follow them. I love getting hit with CSV while my shields are down because some doofus parked his Excelsior on me.

The biggest problem with clearing all the way to the middle is Full Impulse. If your team straggles at all, or takes any time at all to organize, then you can be sure that one or more players will not have their weapons or shields powered up by the time the fight starts.

An organized team can move to the middle of the map with no problems, but I don't see organized teams complaining about being spawn camped. For PUGs, about the best they can reasonably manage is to move out of firing range of the spawn point.

On the Klingon side I will usually try not to sit right at the gate, and I see a lot of Klingon players that specifically back off. The Klinks don't have to, it's not their fault the Feds didn't move, it's just sportsmanlike. In Klink PUGs that I'm on, there are usually enough players who will back off when it becomes apparent that the Feds just can't spawn, that if one or two Klinks don't back off they'll end up regretting it. From a purely selfish standpoint, if the enemy isn't having fun, he won't queue.

On ground the spawncamping really only bothers me if my team stops respawning and the enemy doesn't move on. I've been on teams that were disciplined enough that after 1 or 2 got killed respawning, we just all held off. I fully understand shooting at enemies as soon as they show up, but if the combat stops you should move on.

Engineers are the worst about it, because once they build their forts they don't want to move. I've seen several that will go build their forts on a spawn point and then just wait there, which is pretty cheesy.

As long as the enemy is at a spawn point, I don't see a problem with fighting where the enemy is. But if the enemy isn't there you need to clear out, even if you know the enemy will be respawning behind you. Since the guy is respawning, in theory he sucks more than you anyway, so losing an advantage shouldn't be such a big deal.
Lt. Commander
# 24
09-15-2010, 09:03 AM
Hmm...spawn camping in space actually helps the spawning side, since they don't have to travel so far to get back in the fight, and they don't lose people for as long, while the campers have the reverse effect.
Lt. Commander
# 25
09-15-2010, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naevius
Hmm...spawn camping in space actually helps the spawning side, since they don't have to travel so far to get back in the fight, and they don't lose people for as long, while the campers have the reverse effect.
You spawn at 0 power.

If only one ship dies, then being at the spawn point is helpful. If you lose 2 or 3 it's disastrous, because they are in no shape to survive an alpha-strike when they spawn. Once the camping team gets a significant numerical advantage it's next to impossible to turn things around on respawns.