Lt. Commander
# 21
09-16-2010, 11:07 AM
In the interest of gender equality for all species, I suggest simply using a <Rank> <Name> structure.

If the character has a First/Last name structure it would be <Rank><Last Name> and so on as appropriate.
Lt. Commander
# 22
09-16-2010, 12:06 PM
On that note, I have noticed that sometimes NPCs will refer to my Male captain as "her" or "she" in those random "Did you hear about..." convos, they could use some sort of gender checksum.
Lt. Commander
# 23
09-16-2010, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Twilight
I don't want to start anything negative; this is kinda off topic and kinda not, but I'm curious: if a male superior officer asked you to do something similar that wasn't strictly policy, would you have quoted the letter of the law back at him like that? If so, what would his reaction have been, more harsh, less harsh?
So if he was asking that you call him 'Ma'am' from now on?

Anyway, according to official policy in most modern militaries you are supposed to call all officers regardless of gender 'Sir'.
Lt. Commander
# 24
09-16-2010, 04:47 PM
I believe that saying SIR! To any officer regardless of sex is the military's way of saying: "Respect the rank not the person" so it doesn't matter what sex they are, they're just military officers...
Lt. Commander
# 25
09-16-2010, 06:35 PM
Hmmm. . .while we're at it can we have more than just She and He? seems rather prejudiced against different alien species if you ask me! My main toon is technically an it, a third gender in her particular species.

~D
Lt. Commander
# 26
09-16-2010, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythgraven View Post
Twi raises a very interesting point.

Have this conversation in-game. The last place anybody needs, or wants, a "he said she said" gender divide discussion, is in a video game forum. (The point I was trying to make in my -original- post. All Hail GM's!)

OP, your question as to whether or not a junior sailor would have blah blah blah, had the senior blah blah been female, is an attempt to artificially extend a thread revolving around a "hot button" issue that conveniently lends itself to a minor, inconsequential in game feature. There are better places to discuss gender issues, and better topics to discuss here.
No. Who are you to tell anyone else what they can or can't discuss? If you don't like it, go away and read something else. Note that I used your own quote to extend this thread even further. That's because my kung fu is stronger than yours.

I asked the enlisted gentleman what I did because his post got me thinking and I was curious. And yes it relates to Star Trek because equality is a central issue to the entire series regardless of its medium.
Lt. Commander
# 27
09-16-2010, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser711
I believe that saying SIR! To any officer regardless of sex is the military's way of saying: "Respect the rank not the person" so it doesn't matter what sex they are, they're just military officers...
I get all that, but two people with military experience have related that female superiors have given them grief for being called "sir." So obviously this military regulation isn't so clear cut to certain women in the military.

Anyway, my Vice Admiral likes to be called "Ma'am." But the real issue isn't what military regulations say (especially since Star Fleet is hundreds of years in the future, and isn't the U.S. military regardless, so you can't extrapolate directly), but how much programming Cryptic would have to do to make this change.

I made my suggestion, they can note it on their master list, and prioritize it as they see fit (most likely at the bottom or not at all). That's their business, I just tell them what I want.
Lt. Commander
# 28
09-16-2010, 11:55 PM
Rember on Voyager Janeway was asked how she prefers to be called by i think it was Kim, Sir, Ma'am, Captain etc.
So in Starfleet is is definetly not clear cut but more of a preference of the superior officer.
Lt. Commander
# 29
09-17-2010, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Twilight
I don't want to start anything negative; this is kinda off topic and kinda not, but I'm curious: if a male superior officer asked you to do something similar that wasn't strictly policy, would you have quoted the letter of the law back at him like that? If so, what would his reaction have been, more harsh, less harsh?
How I respond to a person (regardless of rank, actual or perceived) really depends on how they approached me.

If a person was a raging a****** or b**** about it, they got responded to in kind. Yes it did make for some interesting times in the Navy and yes, I did get counseled on more than one occasion. But in the same vein, I had some of the same people who counseled me back me up 100% when the question came to policy / regulations.

But yes, if a male officer demanded to be addressed as ma'am, I would have refused. Their response? That would be as varied as the people are. Some officers I could joke around with and behave as though they were just another sailor. Others were more... stick-up-the-backside oriented. The thing many military officers need to learn is that if they work with the enlisted folks, we are far more willing to work with them.

Oddly though, I did have one LCDR tell me that officers are just as human as enlisted and that he'd talk with the Senior Chief about counseling me regarding how I responded to the LCDR on watch. I had as appropriate to him and the Senior Chief felt it was disrespectful.

But yeah, in the Star Trek universe, it's proper to address an officer as Sir regardless of gender (or lack thereof). It was modeled off real life in this regard afterall.
Lt. Commander
# 30
09-17-2010, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idali
So in Starfleet is is definetly not clear cut but more of a preference of the superior officer.
Actually it is... Janeway simply insisted that people address her as Captain, and Ma'am was only for crunch time. A commander of a unit could insist that people address them by rank, but sir/ma'am is not a mater of preference.

An Admiral or General couldn't bring someone up on charges for calling her Sir, regs are regs and no mater your rank you follow regs.

I knew a guy when I was in the Army who bought a cap for his class A uniform, it was the flat "officer" type hat, not the kind that was normally worn by enlisted ranks. But this given cap which didn't have any gold piping on it was authorized to be worn by enlisted personal... He had a copy of the reg number on a little card inside the hat so when he took it of he could say...

"According to Reg blah blah blah, this cap is suitable to be worn with a class A uniform by someone of enlisted rank."