Lt. Commander
# 11 Sto
09-17-2010, 10:27 AM
STO will never reach is full potential because they do not have enough programmers. This not to say the people they got not are not trying. The fact is because they have about half the staff most MMOS got. STO will always be behind. To catch up to were they need to be they would need almost 3 time there current staff for a lest one year. This is to just catch up. Will it happen? NEVER! The boss man has always done things on the cheap even back to City of Heros. It is not the programers fault they are doing a great job with what they got. Will it get better? NO! They got another MMO on the way and I am willing to money on he is cuting into STO and CO budgest to pay for it.
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-17-2010, 10:58 AM
[QUOTE=K1ller;3035577]Hmm I have missed a single mention of the bug fixing. I have left for a month so I would like to ask. Has the B'Tran (and other exploration clusters) been fixed? Has the übermobs been fixed? Is there finaly some endgame content or are both my VAs stuck with B'tran and daily fleet actions? Yes, I read about the weekly episodes, but why do them, when the reward is useless XP?? Shall I stop hoping and simply click on cancel subscription?[/quote]

Hmm, maybe do them because they are fun..
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-17-2010, 01:36 PM
Why is it that with every game released since WoW, and even a few before WoW... You have people saying that if this game doesn't beat WoW, then that means it's going to die.

You don't need to beat WoW to be a success, you just need to have enough players to make a profit.

Now it would be nice to see more people added to the Cryptic staff so the could add more content where it's needed. But even if they did that, it still wouldn't make STO a WoW killer.
Lt. Commander
# 14
09-17-2010, 06:21 PM
Screw WoW.
The Star Trek genre is a tried and true money-making, fan crazed/loved genre and if Cryptic allows the MMO based on it to fall into mediocrity due to lack of manpower, capitol, etc - then its a huge loss for them.
This IP and the genre that has been around for 40 years is a proven source of revenue and deserves the majority of thier attentions and efforts. Anything less is a waste of opportunity.
I feel Dstahl is focused on the Growth of STO and has an idea (with his crew) of where to take it in the future. What I think is a shame is that they have treated the other factions than fed as somewhat unimportant until now and thats a shame. Very few ideas in genre of the scifi world have had as much impact in our society as ST has and for that fact STO must be just as expansive and broad focused to include those aspects that have grown along side the federation over the decades. Klingons, romulans, Vulcans, Andorians, etc - deserve and eventual realization in STO as a fully function factio or subfaction.
I believe that the Cryptic team can do it in time and bring STO to the level the fans as a whole see it.
But not if they get too caught up in just trying to make money or topple WoW.
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-18-2010, 06:10 AM
Is it just me I get the vibe from the State of the Game post that this is all there will really be just the same garbage like it or leave it?
Lt. Commander
# 16
09-18-2010, 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkillusion
Is it just me I get the vibe from the State of the Game post that this is all there will really be just the same garbage like it or leave it?
All they can do is tell you what they have planned going forward. Its all anyone can do when discussing things that are planned to happen at some point that isn't now.

If you don't think the things mentioned add value or are "the same garbage" then you have a pretty easy decision. If people don't feel their articulated, specific complaints about a game are being addressed, like it or leave it are the only two options customers have.

If more people exercised the leave it option, then maybe the more re-occuring complaints would be addressed in an effort to stop the bleeding. At the very least, the forums would see an immediate improvement when the repeating rage-filled complaint threads dissappear.

Oh, and yeah - I think it is just you. The newest SOTG and some screenshots of goodies that have been promised to the KDF has quieted a lot of the raging. Sorry you aren't feeling the love but I guess they can't make everybody happy.
Lt. Commander
# 17
09-18-2010, 08:22 AM
In regards to the State of the Game message, I have to say that I was encouraged by dstahl's focus on the Klingon Faction.

I do not expect the Klingons to ever equal the Feds in terms of PvE play -- but what I think would make many, many Klingon players happy are the two following issues:

1. Parallel ship design and releases that match Federation advances ...not the same capabilities, but the same number of options with Klingon-specific powers and abilities.

2. Having the PvP aspect of Klingon play make a real difference in the game world. Here is an idea -- a built-in monitor to the game that tallies PvP wins and losses between the factions...when a certain threshold is reached in terms of wins and losses, then that faction gains territory that they can enter and do missions in. For example...a threshold is reached to the point where Klingons can enter sectors that are currently closed to them and do missions that are normally only Federation-based (such as Crystal Entity, etc). Imagine a Klingon fleet blockading Sol or DS9 -- just like in the real show. Of course...the disparity of numbers would quickly be a factor...but hey, it WOULD be a good day to die!

You know...now that I think about it, #2 solves a LOT of problems. It opens up TONS for PvE for the Klingons -- the only thing is that the Klingons have to "earn" it through PvP battles and thresholds.

And you can have the threshold reset every seven days -- perhaps time a reset for the release of the weekly dailies.

I like this idea so much that I am going to post it in the Klingon forums to see what my fellow warriors think...
Lt. Commander
# 18
09-18-2010, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Who designs a game to 'kill" WoW?

It's as pretentious as setting out to film a "Dr. Strangelove" or "Full Metal Jacket" killer.
If you can't break into their market and playerbase, then you are severely limiting your ability to make profit in this particular genre.

It's not about trying to "kill" WoW ... it's about trying to compete with the game. Which every MMORPG needs to have some sort of protocol or plan to do so.