Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 71 End Game
09-20-2010, 10:32 AM
The end game content is just not there. STO is working on it but very slow. Mostly because the will not hire the number of programmers needed. It is not the programmers fault. They want to charge WOW prices but will not give WOW quality. Again not the program fault but upper management.
Lt. Commander
# 72
09-20-2010, 11:48 AM
To be honest, I don't think the leveling is an issue here, it might be my point of view.
But I consider STO to be a game of content after you are maxed out, not about leveling.

However, a little more content or things to do after your are maxed out would be nice, but as far as I know, I'm sure Cryptic is working on it.

Anyway, this is of course my opinion.

//Freeman
Lt. Commander
# 73
09-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Honestly, I don't see the "lack of content". There is only so much that can be done in a game, EVERY game will end up being repetitive after a set amount of time.

What interests me however is what do you guys actually mean as "endgame content" and "endgame progression". Everybody mentions it, but nobody ever gives a "we need something like doing that, for this reward" and so on.

I am not familiar with other MMOs, always considered them too much of a time sink and I am only playing STO becuase it's a Star Trek game (and it can be enjoyed casually, e.g. 1-2 hours a day).

I have a couple of co-workers that play WOW, I asked them and they confirmed being max level...and apparently all they do is raid the same dungeon over and over again to grind some equipment; not sure I got this right, but doesn't seem to be too groundbreaking to me...
Lt. Commander
# 74
09-21-2010, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragerx
I disagree, hate to use the WoW example but hey! I am not one to really rush to max level, but when I play at a normal speed for me and am blazing through he game with only 2-3 hrs play a day something is wrong. And with WoW I can hit 80 and there is so much to do it can keep me busy almost indefinitely. STO isnt that old yet but really there should have been SOME endgame put in, not a complete lack of it. I mean with how easy the game is how fast did they think people were gonna advance? I mean im a casual player and can easily see myself maxing out before the end of the month. And trying to grind a last few levels that have NO content is really gonna turn me off even more!
Actually WoW is a great example in this case.

When you hit 80 on WoW moving at a normal pace, or even an accelerated pace, you can still find story missions to do all over the place.

Look at the Loremaster Accolades in WoW. When I hit 80, my quest log for Kalimdor showed that I had done only about 1/3rd of the available quests. In Eastern Kingdoms, I had done about 1/2 of the quests. Outlands and Northrend I was back to about 1/3rd completed. In Howling Fjord alone, I hadn't done a single quest (having started in Borean Tundra).

Now think about STO. When I hit Vice Admiral, I had 2-3 missions left to do that carried over from the max level. Then I had 2 RA STFs and 2 VA STFs (both are the same story.) Beyond that and the weekly missions, there is nothing more for me to do. No more story, no more need to explore. I've seen it all and done it all.

That is a very obvious area where WoW has a major edge over STO. It takes a very very long time to run out of things to do in WoW. And if you do run out of things to do, then your achievement score would be off the charts!
Lt. Commander
# 75
09-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Well, this is already an improvement.

If I get it correctly, the way to implement something like that in STO would be to have many more "episode" missions, so man actually that you don't need to complete them all to reach VA1. Let's say there are 30 now ( I don't know the numbers), the idea would be to have like 300 of them scattered around the galaxy; On top of that, it would be necessary to not have all of them tied to a storyline - for example, there could be an entire sector where the storyline is not touched at all. This would actually make sense.

As a matter of fact, I think WoW is not inventing anything here - it's something I saw in "The Elder Scrolls" series (and probably even predates it): you can spend weeks playig and leveling up without even touching the "main" quest; Happened to me with Morrowind - after a month playing, I realized that the game actually had a main story that I never bothered completing!
Lt. Commander
# 76
09-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Actually when I thinking more closely on it, WoW isen't a good example at all here.
They are both MMO's, but still apart from each other.

In STO you leveling up fast and try to achive highest rank to be able to captain your ship to new places and goals, pretty much the same in WoW, yes.
Probably everyone have seen the series and every each and one of us got a favorite.
Everyone wants to be like Kirk, Picard, Sisko and Janeway in some way.

Still they didn't work to become more powerful, they worked for other matters like, peace, exploration, diplomacy and most of the combat missions involving defense, not attack without cause.

WoW is different, WoW is all about leveling, get more destructive powers for one purpose really, for an offensive.
In WoW leveling is an experience itself, half the game is about leveling.

My point is... I don't think STO lack end game contents, there is quite alot dungeons to do and on other sets of hard mode aswell.
However, raiding non-stop isen't really my thing.
I'm more of the casual type, and I enjoy example, the new episodes, mission of diplomacy and first contact missions.
I think there is what we have our differences.

- Star Trek is so much more then "loading phasers and fire"

- WoW is about 1 thing "Kill or be killed".

I must say, I've been playing WoW since the first beta and seen everything.
And still I enjoy STO more then WoW now because of the new first contact missions, episodes and diplomacy.
For once in a MMO I can do something else then fire my gun or kill someone/something.
I want more of these missions, thats what I think lacks in-game, more diplomacy and less flex muscle, I agree that some diplomatic missions might fail as in real life, but still.

But thats my opinion of course.

Regards
//Freeman