Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
09-20-2010, 02:34 PM
Ah!

Okay, I think I see what you are saying.

First of all..."conversions" are not needed...or rather, there should be minimal modifications to the already neutral content on the Fed side.

As to why it would be "conditionally based" -- that is self evident, but I will spell it out anyway -- the reason why access would be conditionally based and therefore only available part of the time (based on the conditions set by PvP) is for the simple reason that these missions are available in FEDERATION space only. So...to gain access to the missions...you have to gain access to Federation Space...to gain access to Federation Space, you would need to meet the PvP conditional threshold. If I was not clear before, then let me reiterate -- winning the PvP threshold opens up Federation space -- specific Federation owned sectors -- for Klingon incursions. The missions in those areas would become available the Klingon faction until the Klingon faction loses the PvP threshold advantage, or loses it due to a threshold reset, which I proposed would occur weekly. Then the process would start over again to regain access to those same areas.

Now...as far as what I would PREFER...I think I also made that clear as well. Fully unique, new, Klingon -only content that is available all of the time to the Klingon Faction only would be great and is, of course, my first choice. Unfortunately, and not to beat a dead horse even more, we have been told that this is not a short-term reality...

You have to understand that the content described in this idea basically is NOT Klingon content - it is FEDERATION content made accessible to Klingons by right of conquest on the field of battle. The reason why it is conditional is that you have to give the other side a chance to deny us that content, as we did gain it through warfare. That is only fair. In terms of conversions, there is a lot of Federation content that would not need any modification at all to do -- examples include the Crystaline Entity, and many of the Cardassian and Romulan missions, such as the sector patrols, etc., and the deep space encounters in other areas of the game. Some unique content -- such as the ability to blockade positions in the enemy area, or clearing out those Federation Transports that wander around the home sector for emblems or rewards could also be cool...but that would be a "second phase" kind of deal.

But hey...we are talking hypotheticals here...as well as the fact that all of this effort and thought are only partially formed ideas with a low chance of being adopted. If it was adopted as part of the STO universe, the idea would need some additional work to make it feasible.

Does that clear things up for you?
Lt. Commander
# 22
09-21-2010, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTempest
Does that clear things up for you?
It finally clears up why you feel the way you do, so thank you for answering. However, the game itself proves your reasoning wrong. There are quite a few Fed episodes in Fed territory where you fight Klingons, so that means Klingons ARE in Fed territory. Furthermore, there are quite a few Fed episodes in OTHER FACTION's territory. Therefore your reasoning that you can only do episodes in territory you control is wrong according to the game itself. So once again, if the Devs take the time to make these episodes playable by Klingons, theres no reason they shouldnt ALWAYS be playable regardless of what faction controls the sector. I still think capturable sectors is a good idea, but there is absolutely NO reason KDF players should be locked out of content that they could be playing.
Lt. Commander
# 23
09-21-2010, 09:21 AM
Here's my opinion... PvE'ers shouldn't be reliant on PvP'ers to unlock their content, and vice versa, regardless of the faction involved. As soon as you make one side of the playerbase reliant on the other to grant access to their content, you breed resentment between the two... and heck knows, there's plenty of resentment between the two sides of the playerbase already.

I have no objection to having them influence each other in the form of faction wide buffs for doing what they do. For Example:
PvP'ers winning more matches/owning more territory in the open pvp zone providing a faction wide buff to Skillpoints/Honor/merit accumulation.
PvE'ers collecting X number of crafting components/completing X number of "aid to the front" style missions providing a faction wide discount on emblem/mark vendors.

By going down this route, giving rewards for both sides of the playerbase doing what they do best, but not having the rewards be so influential that they're considered to be required to complete their favourite gameplay type you breed a little more cooperation, and you are less likely to get nasty, flaming posts along the lines of "F*** those X'ers, they're not doing their job which means I don't have access to Y whenever I log in. You guys suck!"
Lt. Commander
# 24
09-21-2010, 09:27 PM
Darkphoenix,

My opinion -- this type of system would not breed resentment.

I really, really hate to make comparisons...but look at World of ********, and the Wintergrasp PvP event that happens every few hours....

The faction that wins gains the shops, NPCs, and the Instance that can only be obtained in Wintergrasp -- and the content becomes universally available the faction that controls Wintergrasp. If you are not familiar with WoW, then know that Wintergrasp is an entire region in the ******** world -- very similar to one of our Sectors. What's more, the entire faction gains a Buff for experience and I think Damage throughout the game world whereever they may be until the next PvP session...the faction that loses also loses access to all of the NPCs, the instance there, etc, until they can win it back.

There is absolutely no resentment between PvPers and PvE players in WoW that I know of -- in fact, PvE players appreciate the opportunity to do the Vault Instance, gain heroic badges, and use the NPCs in Wintergrasp.

As far as content goes...Nagus...you will see that I mention repeatedly Cardassian, Romulan, and events like the Crystal entity. I also mention in a previous post that the Klingons present in Fed space could be considered a rogue house or whatever...there are many, many different lines of argument that you can take with this reasoning...There are just as many faction-neutral missions and content on the Fed side as there is content that is crafted specifically for Feds vs. Klingons. The idea I am getting from you is that this would be a good idea if that content was modified and open to Klingons all of the time...I understand that sentiment..but you do realize that what you are talking about in this particular case is to merge the two factions into one, right? That is practically the only way to have the Fed content available to Klingon players 100% of the time. If that is what you are proposing, then to be candid, I would rather not have that system in place, and will be more than willing to wait the two years to bring us up to speed at least a bit. Bowing to the Federation is simply not an option for me...nor is it an option for many other Klingon players, I think. That is capitulation in the name of expanded PvE, and that simply does not make sense.

But, this is just an idea -- one that I think still has merit. Will it ever be considered? I sort of doubt it, but I have enjoyed the conversation. It has been enlightening. Thank you to all who have contributed.
Lt. Commander
# 25
09-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Quote:
The idea I am getting from you is that this would be a good idea if that content was modified and open to Klingons all of the time...I understand that sentiment..but you do realize that what you are talking about in this particular case is to merge the two factions into one, right? That is practically the only way to have the Fed content available to Klingon players 100% of the time. If that is what you are proposing, then to be candid, I would rather not have that system in place, and will be more than willing to wait the two years to bring us up to speed at least a bit. Bowing to the Federation is simply not an option for me...nor is it an option for many other Klingon players, I think. That is capitulation in the name of expanded PvE, and that simply does not make sense.
You seem to be very, very confused. YOU are the one who suggested that Klingons be able to play Fed episodes, not me. You posted this thread, remember? I am simply saying that IF that were to occur, that the content should be available all the time, not just part of the time. Thats ALL I'm saying. Its actually pretty hard to understand why you seem to think it is somehow vastly different than what you are proposing. The ONLY differnce in "your way" and "my way" is I'm saying that if "new"(we discussed this earlier so dont get confused by my use of that word) content is opened up to the KDF(as you are suggesting happen here), that that content be available all the time.
Lt. Commander
# 26 hahahahahha
09-22-2010, 04:24 PM
my associate Grand Nagus point me to this post. Ill say it again lol

the klingon delima is harsh and at best can be argued on both sides. the problem is the STO team didnt do much research on the klingons. for that matter on majority of star trek. there old executive producer swore they did but from the looks of it, they didnt.

klingon content to me is easy. what do the klingons love more then blood wine. thats simple a nice war between themselves lol there ya go content filled and its about time for another civil war between houses lol. Oh not your cup of blood wine. fine. take over a world in fed territory and hold it until your outpost can arrive. do this and you can gain that territory on the map. be quick as you only have a few days to move in and surprise the fed dogs. HMMM no, not enough contentt filled hmm how about this. its time the gorn stop being weak prey. make them capture some romulan worlds or for that matter a few romulan sectors for the empire. are they brave enough. oh wait no gorn ships to do that darn. okay let a klingon house or several houses try and do it. whats that you say STO team. there is no tech for such a content filled ep. darn i thought i had them at there.

hahahahha ya gotta love this though people
Lt. Commander
# 27
09-23-2010, 03:30 AM
Quote:
Exactly hehe.

Because the idea also works in reverse. If the Feds gain the threshold and keep it, then they could enter the Klingon areas, such as they are LOL.

Of course I think I know how the Devs are going to maybe look at this issue -- as "backdoor open PvP"...but it really would not be that at all -- sure, the Fed "visitors" could be challenged...and perhaps if they enter the Qo'nos (spelling, sorry), they could get mobbed by level 70 NPCs...but it could be fun all the same, but I think that if the Feds could capture and win that PvP threshold, then bragging rights should be allowed and they would deserve them. Cruising the Klingon area in their gunboat is one way to show bragging rights.
Maybe an accolade or title for doing this mission. Qo'nos Killer or something along those lines.