Lt. Commander
# 1 Problems getting it to play...
09-23-2010, 11:43 AM
Hi guy,
I am brand new here and already I seem to have some problems with the game... I am able to play with my laptop directly connected to the internet (ethernet cable) and that is just dandy, except for the fact that when I do this no one else in my family can use the internet. My problem is that whenever I use an ethernet hub or any type of hub for that matter, the game cant seem to connect. It either goes to the loader and says that it can't connect to the server or something like that or it can't authenticate. A few times it has just gotten stuck with the cryptic auto update window, connecting and reconnecting for seemingly endless periods of time. I just want to be able to play the game without using the only internet connection, would the game work with a wireless connection (I don't have one but it is possible I could get one and set it up) would the game even run well over wireless? Quite frankly I don't know what the problem is, and nothing that I have found on the forums seems to help. Also I have been waiting nearly two days for help from Atari but they have not responded, why did they cancel phone support!

HELP,
CJH
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-23-2010, 02:46 PM
I'm somewhat guessing without information on your internet service type, setup etc. However...

Generally simply trying to go through a hub won't work if one connection is your internet provider. You'll have only one address from your internet provider and multiple users connecting to a hub will just mean they are all trying to use that same address and the hub will not know where to send the data passing thru it.

You need some type of router (wired, wireless or combo) between your internet provider (modem or whatever) and a hub (most routers will also have buiilt in hub). The router will direct all internet traffic to the computers in your house by assigning them a separate internal private network ID for each. Should be less than $50 for a very good combo router.

Finally wired is generally better for heavy use like games, but wireless will work.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-23-2010, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiiliitiila
Hi guy,
Also I have been waiting nearly two days for help from Atari but they have not responded, why did they cancel phone support!

HELP,
CJH
FYI - you can go to the STO support site now, log in with your Cryptic STO account credentials, and chat with tech support live now. (here's the link link)

As for your issue - it might be that your internet router (I don't see how you could be using a hub for multiple connections as hubs don't do NAT) is blocking some ports the game needs top run properly; but again, you might want to use the above link and chat directly with STO support.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-24-2010, 08:04 AM
Okay I have finally spoken with tech and they suggested a router as well, now I just need to get one...
Thank you for all your help!

CJH