I agree. My first Federation captain got nothing but Engineers, and what I really needed was tactical officers. My Klingon Captain started out that way too. Only by training to replace repetative skills could I make use of all of those engineeers.
P.S. The bolian engineer on the Khitomer and the inital Klingon Engineer have almost the exact same skills as the Borg Bridge officer. Why choose them? Should be able to pick or change their skills.
Well, the Borg BO has those nice traits (including the elusive Efficient), so that's why the Borg BO is better. I'm waiting for a tactical Borg BO, since that have the other two (the science one you can get from Khitomer Accord STF if you walk into the IMRs (big machines toward the end) you are supposed to destroy, then hail 4 of 10) Unfortunately, the science Borg BO isn't too good. He's only good for his ground traits (and maybe skills?)
My humble suggestions would be...
(When you get to a rank that rewards you with a new BO)
1) Pick if you want Science, Engineering or Tactical
2) Pick if you want male or female
3) Pick what race you want
4) BO traits and skills should be completely random
5) Review candidate, then pick commission or reject
6) If you reject that BO then you redo steps 1 to 5 with traits and skills being completely random again