Lt. Commander
# 41 Investigative Reporter
09-27-2010, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Armstrong View Post
Microtransaction stores are NOT a bad thing, but the way that they are handled CAN be. Look at how many people have left the game because of it. Regardless as to if you like it or not, it IS hurting the game.
Please provide some hard data to back up this wildly speculative claim?

90% of statistics are completely made up to support the poster's own opinion.

They're not actually using the C-Store to its full potential, actually. I thought the Galaxy-X in there was a bad thing at first but it's not. They still have yet to load up the Red Matter Capacitor, Type 8 shuttle, or other trinkets people would whine about then purchase.
Lt. Commander
# 42
09-27-2010, 11:08 PM
Player population has declined since February. He's not exactly making that up.
Lt. Commander
# 43
09-27-2010, 11:10 PM
Lt. Commander
# 44
09-28-2010, 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Sisko View Post
soooooo what your saying is your ****ed you spent all that money on the game (lifetime sub etc etc) and now they are asking you to spend more money..........hmmmmm its not like they are a business or anything and they need to keep the money flowing i dont blame them .........let me put it another way .....hell will freeze over first before the c store disappears hell its more likely the game would become free to play with a c store first............................................T issue?
your period button is stuck, i suggest fixing it.

back on topic, yes cryptic is a business, but you EITHER have a item store and NO sub or you HAVE sub and no item store. you do not do both, as evidently ppl will run far FAR away from games that can't make up their mind.

at the moment all they do is looking greedy trying to scam as much money out of us as possible for "features" that we SHOULD have free to begin with because we pay a subscription fee. its not like this game has to much stuff so they actually can get away with it. Blizzard probably could with WoW if they wanted to, a unfinished game like this can not.

yes i know they will make "some" of it available through normal gameplay, but they will most likely keep the most desirable items as a C-store exclusive, and only have the stuff almost no one buy free.

now, they might not have a CHOICE but to keep the c-store as so many have abandoned the game partly because of it, but on the other hand it sure wont help them financially.

i wish they would at least handle the C-store in this game the same way they do on CO, there they just add avatar costumes every once in a while, in this game they mostly seem to want to make up for the dwindling subscriber income with it, and that just won't work.

i read their "excuse" for adding all that stuff on the C-store, but the problem is that they do not have a dedicated team for it, they use devs i'm already paying with my subscription, so technically i'm paying for it twice (or more depending on the cost) if i decide to buy something.

and THAT is what angers me the most.
Lt. Commander
# 45
09-28-2010, 12:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizen_Giggles View Post
Please provide some hard data to back up this wildly speculative claim?
heres some proven facts, server queues that lasted over an hour the first few months after launch and 10+ instances PER SECTOR. now you'd be lucky if there were 10+ instances TOTAL across all sectors with the exeption of the weekly episode sector on saturdays.

pvp queres taking 30 minutes to an hour+ to fill up compared to instantly popping at release, even at cap rank.

i could go on but tbh, if u cant even see these two issues i doubt it would be worth the time to write them down.
Lt. Commander
# 46
09-28-2010, 06:46 AM
I'm in favour of the c-store, but I do have to admit the OP makes some good points here.

I hope that some of the new costumes they're working on can be purchased by GPL instead of CP. I'd still buy them either/ or, but having more in-game means to do so would be nice.
Lt. Commander
# 47
09-28-2010, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Player population has declined since February. He's not exactly making that up.
The temperature in the Northern Hemisphere has also risen since February.

Clearly, the C-Store causes global warming on an alarming scale.
Lt. Commander
# 48
09-28-2010, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorgald View Post
heres some proven facts, server queues that lasted over an hour the first few months after launch and 10+ instances PER SECTOR. now you'd be lucky if there were 10+ instances TOTAL across all sectors with the exeption of the weekly episode sector on saturdays.

pvp queres taking 30 minutes to an hour+ to fill up compared to instantly popping at release, even at cap rank.

i could go on but tbh, if u cant even see these two issues i doubt it would be worth the time to write them down.
They have also done a lot of things regarding how load balancing was implemented and how the queues function. Also, part of the problem with the queues is that there aren't enough klingons playing - but I bet more left over the lack of PVE than of the C-store.

I don't disagree there are fewer people playing. I do disagree your "proven facts" show that people left over the evil scary C-store.
Lt. Commander
# 49
09-28-2010, 08:55 AM
To make a compelling case, not only would you need hard evidence that X number of people have left because of the CStore, you would need to show that the subscription $ of those people exceeded the $ from the CStore that were gained.

Even more problematic, you would need to show that closing the CStore would somehow bring in enough new subscription $ to make up for the lost revenue going forward.

Good luck.
Lt. Commander
# 50
09-28-2010, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorgald View Post
here's some proven facts, server queues that lasted over an hour the first few months after launch and 10+ instances PER SECTOR. now you'd be lucky if there were 10+ instances TOTAL across all sectors with the exception of the weekly episode sector on Saturdays.
Wait... did you actually just prove that the Weekly Episodes are good for STO and in fact, that since you have to maintain a subscription to be able to play Weekly Episodes, there actually are people paying the monthly fee to play weekly episode but they are perhaps avoiding playing on weekdays and thus still paying for STO and yet not taxing the servers?!?!