Lt. Commander
# 11
09-29-2010, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrananapuss View Post
did you ever watch Star Trek? ANY of it?
What the hell has that got to do with anything?

This is, supposedly, a MMORPG. So far, I see no RPG in this MMO. I see a lot of RTS, but no RPG. I want more RPG. What making an MMORPG more RPG-like has to do with characters in a TV series, is beyond my obviously limited comprehension. By all means, do explain.
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-29-2010, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekvar
What the hell has that got to do with anything?

This is, supposedly, a MMORPG. So far, I see no RPG in this MMO. I see a lot of RTS, but no RPG. I want more RPG. What making an MMORPG more RPG-like has to do with characters in a TV series, is beyond my obviously limited comprehension. By all means, do explain.
I think it's just an MMO... but the point is, the devs made the game initially seeing you playing more as the crew then as one person, the captain. Which fits in with the Star Trek show itself, which was about the experiences of the crew as they explored the great unknown. Of course, there are a number of ways to implement such a vision better than the way it is (playable First Officer, BO story arcs, etc.) but that's the idea.
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
I think it's just an MMO... but the point is, the devs made the game initially seeing you playing more as the crew then as one person, the captain. Which fits in with the Star Trek show itself, which was about the experiences of the crew as they explored the great unknown. Of course, there are a number of ways to implement such a vision better than the way it is (playable First Officer, BO story arcs, etc.) but that's the idea.
Agreed.
All your chars and BOs and Ships are your "one" Character. Its not about just one person. I like it this way, and Id love to have a similar system in space like its on ground. At least I am an Admiral!
Lt. Commander
# 14
09-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Great idea's here, commanding your own fleet of ships would make VA mean something. Another option might be making this an ability similar to fleet support...as in it has a cool down and is for a limited time or something.
Lt. Commander
# 15
09-29-2010, 08:06 PM
It would be nice to still have a use for the lower tier ships.
Lt. Commander
# 16
09-30-2010, 10:39 PM
I think this would be a great idea, but only if they made it alot more difficult to get to admiral and they put more detail into the research. This game is too boring without the ship battles and away team. When I played WOW I loved just going out and building up my research into weapons or smithing. Some of my friends are admirals and are back to playing eve online or WOW. This needs to be addressed before more people start leaving.
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-01-2010, 04:37 PM
I think being able to command a task group made up of your promoted officers and other ships would be a great idea. But to be fair to those who perfer the lone-wolf style of play it would have to be an option only. Thankfully I think the game already supports both styles of play very well.

We already have mission scaling for solo and group play so they could use the same system. If you're a lone wolf admiral and elect to not bring another vessel along, that's fine. You play a standard solo mission. If you elect to bring another ship or two along with you the game could scale up to a group mission the way it does now when you have other players in the team.

In addition, future level expansions they could add a captain skill tree revolving around bonuses to commanding your subordinate ships (formations, attack patterns, etc). Cryptic would also have to offer other desireable skill trees specializing in enhancing aspects of your own ship to give the solo admiral attractive alternative skill progression paths as well.
Lt. Commander
What would it take to get the people at Cryptic to look into this?
Lt. Commander
# 19 Love the Idea
10-04-2010, 03:36 PM
This would also make things easier for players who are not in fleets.

Lt. Commander
# 20 Good idea but
10-04-2010, 04:20 PM
You should make it so that the two sub-ships under your command add up to no more than 1 ship tier below yours, in any configuration. So if you fly a T5 ship, the biggest fleet you can have will be of size 4, consisting of 2 T1's or 1 T1 and 1 T2 (if you want to go in undergunning), 1 T1 and 1 T3, 2 T2's, or a single T4. That keeps it from being excessively powerful while still making it meaningful.

Should not be allowed for carriers or for any ships lower than T5 (i.e. make it RA1 and up only, from a command perspective). You should have to spend some command points (muuuuuch more expensive to command and heal T4's than T1's) to add these ships to your fleet and they should be subject to the same death penalty as that of the captain.

Of course the AI from, say, SFC3 to command your fleet will be a big challenge.