Lt. Commander
Hey everyone, I've been able to run STO since its launch with no problem. But last sunday I tried to run it, and I kept getting a BSOD everytime I'd get to the first loading screen or the character selection screen. When I'd reboot windows would give say that "you've just recovered from an unexpected error, click here for solutions" I do, and it says its a problem with my graphics driver. I though that might be the case since I hadn't updated it in a while. So I updated it to the latest version. Everything worked fine for two days. Then today, I tried to launch it and got the same BOSD. I re-updated the drivers again, didn't work...restarted the computer...and it played all afternoon, then tried it a few minutes a go and BSOD again. What's happening!!!???

Processor: Intel Core 2 Extreme X9770
RAM: 4GB DD3
Video: 2 ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 in CrossFire
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-30-2010, 12:28 AM
Sounds like your graphics card OR even both the cards may have been damaged(Dusty case?) as STO on its own cannot POSSIBLY cause a BSOD as it simply doesent have a high enough level of access to the kernel,however graphics cards do.

Try cleaning out the case,inspecting cards for obvious signs of damage(Scorch marks,little blue flames,phaser burns etc etc) and then try again if they are not damaged.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-30-2010, 05:14 AM
can you give us a little more details on what the bsod error was ie the error itself?
if you dont know what the error was try a tool called who crashed which will analyze the crash dump file and give a human breakdown of what the error is
http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

if the error is always the same post details of the most recent error, if you see different errors post one of each
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-02-2010, 01:19 PM
Given the pattern (worked fine, then started crashing) and the fact that it's obviously a video issue, you're looking at either hardware failure (not necessarily the video card) or corruption of something important on the hard drive (no way to diagnose that, might end up reinstalling windows - check everything else first, since that's a huge hassle).