Lt. Commander
Everytime I load the launcher, before I can enter my login details I get the following error:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/.../stoerror1.jpg

Pressing Yes or No doesn't remove the window, it just stays there preventing login, and I end up having to go into Task Manager and End Tasking STO in order to try again, which results in the same.

Windows XP SP3 has all the current updates, including ones for IE
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-29-2010, 02:25 PM
which IE version are you using and what are the security settings for it?
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-29-2010, 04:05 PM
I don't normally use IE at all, so I loaded it to check what version I have. The same Script error prevented me from being able to even get to the About Microsoft Internet Explorer option to check the program version.

so I installed IE8 from Microsoft.com

Now I can use IE8 without the script error. However the same script error occurs with the STO launcher no matter if I have my security settings set to Medium, Medium-High, or High (those three are the only options the program is allowing me to use)

Lt. Commander
# 4
09-29-2010, 05:10 PM
This should work as a workaround for the script error message.

Go to control panel, then click on, Internet Options. In the Internet Options window, go to the last tab, Advanced.

In that tab, go to the second section, BROWSING. Look for the option, "Display a notification about every script error." If it's checked, uncheck it. This should be the 5th option down.
This, "Should" get rid of that notification window. Though there is some problem causing it to show in the first place.

If it's already unchecked, then there may be a problem with the insttalation of IE. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanthal View Post
I don't normally use IE at all, so I loaded it to check what version I have. The same Script error prevented me from being able to even get to the About Microsoft Internet Explorer option to check the program version.

so I installed IE8 from Microsoft.com

Now I can use IE8 without the script error. However the same script error occurs with the STO launcher no matter if I have my security settings set to Medium, Medium-High, or High (those three are the only options the program is allowing me to use)

Lt. Commander
# 5
09-29-2010, 05:50 PM
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-29-2010, 07:02 PM
Tried the control panel fix, the box was already un-checked ... so I reset all IE settings and tried again, stil same problem.

I tried running that troubleshooter program you linked, and it got an error and had to close and also didn't fix it.

looks like it's a hassle to try and uninstall back to IE7 or IE6 but I have no idea why that would solve anything.

This problem is a tough nut to crack
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-30-2010, 05:29 AM
had this problem before took a while to work out what was going on

problem with IE is once it gets hold of a sript file even if its corrupt it dosent always delete the file when you run a cleanup with IE so browse to your temporary internet files folder - from IE tools > internet options > broser history click settings click view files and delete everything, this will however delete all your cookies with passwords etc

or use a tool called ccleaner aand run a cleanup of at least IE, you can uncheck cookies to keep your passwords
Lt. Commander
# 8
09-30-2010, 08:02 AM
I tried CCleaner (which I'm a frequent user of) and no change.

I've tried all of the above with no change.

I'm re-installing the client right now, I hope that does it, because otherwise, I'm out of tricks.

Maybe there's a comment from Cryptic about this?
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Corrupted IE install, most likely. Unfortunately, given how tightly embedded IE is into Windows, there's little you can do about it.

Upgrading to a new version of IE usually makes this sort of problem "go away", in that it replaces everything. That's worth a shot (try the IE9 beta if you're on IE8).

Otherwise you might have to reinstall Windows, which is just painful.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-02-2010, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the input ... it appears that IE 9 doesn't have Win XP support.

What's that tremendous sucking noise?

It's Windows taking the next 12 hours of my life