Lt. Commander
# 11
09-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miiru
This is a generic error which says nothing more than "something went wrong". Not a useful one, sorry. You'll have to run with wine debugging on (and then go talk to the wine developers about interpreting the log - should lead you to the cause).
Seems it was just a matter of turning off my TV-as-a-second-monitor setup. When I disable TwinView, the game runs perfectly. Performance and quality is basically indistinguishable from Windows, and I haven't even applied any tweaks yet. (Now is a good time for that second wine bottle, I think.) Thanks for the help anyway, though.
Lt. Commander
# 12
09-26-2010, 08:26 PM
Still trying to tweak STO a bit. It has problems on planets. Space seems as smooth as when I run it under Windows, unless there are a lot of ships on the screen at once, but ground is definitely more troublesome. I'm thinking the biggest problem is that the game tells me that I am running an unsupported video card every time I run it. I have to choose "Run with lowered settings" or "Default settings" every time. (Yes, I know I could check the box, but that doesn't solve the problem, it just hides the problem.)

So, I'm thinking that the game isn't taking full advantage of my card, and that's causing the slowdown. Is there a way around this, or does everyone that runs the game in wine have the same issue?
Lt. Commander
# 13
09-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_House_of_Darok View Post
Still trying to tweak STO a bit. It has problems on planets. Space seems as smooth as when I run it under Windows, unless there are a lot of ships on the screen at once, but ground is definitely more troublesome. I'm thinking the biggest problem is that the game tells me that I am running an unsupported video card every time I run it. I have to choose "Run with lowered settings" or "Default settings" every time. (Yes, I know I could check the box, but that doesn't solve the problem, it just hides the problem.)

So, I'm thinking that the game isn't taking full advantage of my card, and that's causing the slowdown. Is there a way around this, or does everyone that runs the game in wine have the same issue?
of course its not taking full advantage of your card... you don't have DirectX... all the DirectX graphics is being carried out with OpenGL.

no way around that with Wine right now.... MS won't ever license anyone to make DX for non-Windows.. its their main tie in forcing gamers to stick to Windows.

the only speed up for ground graphics I found is the "strictdrawordering" one.

then just make sure you have your graphics a bit lowered than you'd do in Windows... draw distances and such.
Lt. Commander
# 14
09-27-2010, 02:22 PM
Well, what I find odd is that when I look at the config files for the game in Linux, it reports my processor as 2.4 instead of 3.0, and my video memory as 256mb instead of 512. I tried correcting those errors, but they changed themselves back after starting the game. I wold think at least the doubling of the video memory would be a significant help, so I'm curious as to why it isn't at least letting the card use the full memory allotment. (I'm assuming that the otehr 256 is usually taken from system memory, but surely Linux has that ability too.)

Besides just buying a beefier card so that there is more raw power, Is there a different card that would be allowed to come closer to using all of its resources, or is it just a matter of "it's never going to work the way you want right now"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
the only speed up for ground graphics I found is the "strictdrawordering" one.

then just make sure you have your graphics a bit lowered than you'd do in Windows... draw distances and such.
Tried both of those suggestions. It helps a little, but the ground performance is so far below what it is in Windows that it really takes a lot away from the game. Thanks anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_House_of_Darok View Post
Well, what I find odd is that when I look at the config files for the game in Linux, it reports my processor as 2.4 instead of 3.0, and my video memory as 256mb instead of 512. I tried correcting those errors, but they changed themselves back after starting the game.
What file are you looking at here?

Quote:
I wold think at least the doubling of the video memory would be a significant help, so I'm curious as to why it isn't at least letting the card use the full memory allotment. (I'm assuming that the otehr 256 is usually taken from system memory, but surely Linux has that ability too.)
System memory cannot be used by a real video card - that's a hardware hack for cheap embedded video chipsets, which wouldn't run the game anyway. Nothing to do with the operating system, it's hardwired into the motherboard on systems which do that.

This is either a wine bug or a video driver problem (somewhere in X). Probably the latter.

Quote:
Besides just buying a beefier card so that there is more raw power, Is there a different card that would be allowed to come closer to using all of its resources, or is it just a matter of "it's never going to work the way you want right now"?
You actually want to use an older card that has better driver support on Linux (something over a year old is usually fine if you're using the proprietary binary drivers), not a more powerful one.

Wine has long since got to the point where it supports pretty much anything the host system can do, so it's just about how good your opengl support is on the host system. Funnily enough this can be faster than native directx under windows in some obscure cases (due to design errors in older versions of directx that cripple windows performance). Wine's D3D->GL translation layer isn't slow, it's just missing a few features, so for performance issues you always want to look at the host.

Check the basics: http://wiki.winehq.org/3DDriverIssues

If that's ok, start looking at opengl performance on the host.