Lt. Commander
In the recent feedback interview Dstahl mentioned a couple of times that Cryptic are working on figuring out the how and why of costume types.

Why are they needed at all? What purpose does having costume types serve other than to needlessly complicate both the programming and the end-user service? People are already annoyed at how it works and yet the track the devs seem to be on at the moment is to maintain the complexity and just fix the bugs.

Just get rid of costume types altogether and it solves a bunch of problems and no doubt makes the programming of costumes easier.

Who does it hurt for us to have access to all types of costumes for every slot? It's not like Cryptic are somehow preserving the look and feel of Star Trek. When we have half of ESD filled with 7' aliens that have shoulder width and bulk maximised, or blonde, big-breasted, narrow-waisted, scantily clad women running around as 'captains'.

So what purpose does typing the slots have other than to frustrate and annoy everyone, including the developers?
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-02-2010, 06:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekvar
In the recent feedback interview Dstahl mentioned a couple of times that Cryptic are working on figuring out the how and why of costume types.

Why are they needed at all? What purpose does having costume types serve other than to needlessly complicate both the programming and the end-user service? People are already annoyed at how it works and yet the track the devs seem to be on at the moment is to maintain the complexity and just fix the bugs.

Just get rid of costume types altogether and it solves a bunch of problems and no doubt makes the programming of costumes easier.

Who does it hurt for us to have access to all types of costumes for every slot? It's not like Cryptic are somehow preserving the look and feel of Star Trek. When we have half of ESD filled with 7' aliens that have shoulder width and bulk maximised, or blonde, big-breasted, narrow-waisted, scantily clad women running around as 'captains'.

So what purpose does typing the slots have other than to frustrate and annoy everyone, including the developers?
Hey, take away the blond hair and my toon The Tick totally resembles that statement. Well except for the scantily clad part, well sure the skirt is kinda short, but it's appropriate for TOS... *double face palms for himself* ...I never should have got drunk before I made that toon.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-02-2010, 06:09 AM
/signed

Sadly, the immersion is already ruined by what the OP said. And if that didn't ruin it for you, the fact we're seeing character names like CHuKNorRis or U'r mama should do the trick. Immersion into the Star Trek universe is sadly lacking(Which is not the same thing as me saying I dislike the game). I'd love it if we could just use any costume piece set in any costume slot.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-02-2010, 07:46 AM
I agree with this, it never made sense in the first place and only complicate things. Just get rid of it altogether.
I can see where it came from, in a superhero game you have a hero outfit and a civilian outfit, which for whatever reason they can switch quickly, but its not needed in trek at all.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Actually it is needed in STO since The Next Generation had dress uniforms, regular uniforms, and off-duty uniforms. It makes more sense to go to Risa in a swimsuit than with your regular uniform.

As far as allowing all costume options for all costume slots, the types of costumes created would lose any sense of rationality. Imagine a huge hairy guy in an Orion Female costume. There always has to be some level of restriction to keep things nice and peaceful.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-02-2010, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
As far as allowing all costume options for all costume slots, the types of costumes created would lose any sense of rationality. Imagine a huge hairy guy in an Orion Female costume. There always has to be some level of restriction to keep things nice and peaceful.
You seem to have missed the point of my fourth paragraph...
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-02-2010, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekvar
And how does "What does it hurt for us to have access to all types of costumes for every slot?" not relate to an ugly male in an Orion Female garb? Such an instance is painful on the eyes so allowing all types of costumes for every slot hurts the players. If you mean that any slot can be used as a uniform or non-uniform slot, then I would agree with you, but complete customization will result in too disturbing costumes.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-02-2010, 03:31 PM
You know what I would like to see as far as customization...?
When you make an "Alien" from scratch, every single 'part' should be allowed for customization options.

For example, I have unlocked Caitians, TOS/Mirror Universe/TNG/WoK/Formal Wear costumes... so wouldn't it make sense to be able to use all those in conjunction? Couldn't you have the neat Formal Wear 'accessories' on a Mirror Universe Top, With an Orion Bottom, and TOS boots? For that matter, why couldn't we have the ability to put 'tails' or 'cat ears' on our Aliens? I wouldn't personally, but I know lots of people WOULD! So that would be pretty nifty I think!
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-02-2010, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
And how does "What does it hurt for us to have access to all types of costumes for every slot?" not relate to an ugly male in an Orion Female garb? Such an instance is painful on the eyes so allowing all types of costumes for every slot hurts the players. If you mean that any slot can be used as a uniform or non-uniform slot, then I would agree with you, but complete customization will result in too disturbing costumes.
Lt. Commander
# 10 It sucks
10-03-2010, 11:34 AM
I like to be able to mix and match cloths. There sets I willl just not get if they get put in the Off Duty group.
Cloths should be able to mix with the others sets.