Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 51
10-03-2010, 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidrain View Post
Mapolis,

So can we assume that the tool set wont per se be dumb down? To a certain degree there will be complexity to them for those that want the complexity and does that mean that there will be far more dynamic means to creating more elaborate missions?

Cheers,

Acidrain
Lets hope. I would like it complex enough to chase away the silly designers.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 52
10-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warem
I have a question.. is there any chance in hell we'll be able to save data om the module or on the character or somewhere? You see, in an ideal world, it would be rather nice to be able to track standing with certain factions/previous choices of the player on earlier adventures, and have the new adventure develop differently/have different options based on said actions.
I don't believe we currently have this feature in the game as you describe it. I could see it keeping track of what missions you've done, and possibly feed that into the mission dialog trees or something. That would be cool to have in the game in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeamyGoodnss
Are we going to be able to restrict certain abilities on some maps? For example, maybe entering a Nebula will drop your shields, forcing you to fight differently. I even had an idea for a racing mission, kinda like the VOY episode "Drive." If I wanted full impulse to be disabled for that mission so that players would need to be resourceful to win the race, can I do that?
Hmm, I think something like this might be as simple as making a few different special volumes available as objects you can place in your map, but I'll have to look into it a little more. Some things are done using a complicated system in our proprietary tools that UGC doesn't have access to yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Hm. So no costuming/scaling of mobs? I guess I'd thought we'd be able to design the characters' facial features/scars/tattoos/uniforms because CoH allows for this and seemed like the reasonable model to follow.

So I guess I won't be able to create a new Klingon named Karrg or something and give him (for example) Shoulderpads 3 and Gauntlets 2 and give him custom dialogue taunting players as he betrays the empire to work with Sela or something like that. It somewhat confuses me about what UGC is without some customized NPCs/enemies, since telling a story becomes difficult without the ability to create/use characters.

I mean, I suppose I could have J'mpok hail players and challenge them to fight his ship or Quinn do the same but without the ability to tailor NPCs, the story potential is pretty limited.
You can create custom costumes for NPCs using an editor much like our character creator. You can't do something like invent a new kind of torpedo to give to your enemy encounters. Scaling of encounters will depend on the level range you have selected for your project as well as the level of the person who is playing your episode. So you can't just throw a level 45 Romulan ship into a project set for levels 1-5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidrain View Post
Mapolis,
So can we assume that the tool set wont per se be dumb down? To a certain degree there will be complexity to them for those that want the complexity and does that mean that there will be far more dynamic means to creating more elaborate missions?
Our goal is to make UGC tools powerful enough to create most if not all of the current episodes in STO with the same level of complexity.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 53
10-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Will we be able to do branching missions, where there could be two or more possible outcomes based on what choices the player makes?

Will we be able to give out accolades for completing missions?

Will we be able to scale mobs to the players level? Like say, mobs in one part of the mission are set to match the players level, but in another part, they're a few levels lower, or higher?

Will it be possible to have npc or mobs that are attackable, but can't be killed. Say a ship being disabled to be boarded, or a character that must be disable and then confronted?

It's been stated that there are planet surfaces for several of the planets in the Sol system, like Earth, but they haven't been included in the game because there hasn't been any content written for them. Will these elements be available for use with the UGC?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 54
10-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapolis View Post
You can create custom costumes for NPCs using an editor much like our character creator. You can't do something like invent a new kind of torpedo to give to your enemy encounters. Scaling of encounters will depend on the level range you have selected for your project as well as the level of the person who is playing your episode. So you can't just throw a level 45 Romulan ship into a project set for levels 1-5.
What about giving certain abilities to custom enemies like Metaphasic shields (ability that makes certain enemies invulnerable for about 10 seconds) to a Cube?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 55
10-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapolis View Post
I don't believe we currently have this feature in the game as you describe it. I could see it keeping track of what missions you've done, and possibly feed that into the mission dialog trees or something. That would be cool to have in the game in general.
One would think that would be a basic requirement for any serious Role Playing Game with a modicum of depth. There have also already been a few missions that have had the player make some decisions with implied future consequences. It's sad to hear that these kinds of things aren't tracked.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 56
10-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapolis View Post
Scaling of encounters will depend on the level range you have selected for your project as well as the level of the person who is playing your episode. So you can't just throw a level 45 Romulan ship into a project set for levels 1-5.
i would have thought the missions would be level agnostic, and scale to the player like the weekly episodes?
that realy would be best i think?

Would make more sense, especially for Klingons i wouldn't know if i should make my missions for lower or higher level chars... the Fed's have enough low level missions to get up there without ever seeing a weekly or nebula mission, as Klingon you realy have a hard time to get XP with *intresting* missions.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 57
10-03-2010, 06:36 PM
Hey Mapolis,

How much control will we get with the environment? I am talking about doing things like selecting the textures, changing elevation levels, placing structures and the like.

I have played a few game with mission creators and most if not all had the ability for you to get GENERALLY what you wanted across but you never were able to give the maps that personality you wanted. I ask as the Breen missions had alot of map personality and I say that is one big part of their success and if we can have ability for that all the better.

I am just think about scripting a mission that has your team trying to get to the top of a mountain and we are forced to play on flat level terrain, right there that map just feels wrong dispute any text and story.

Also would it be possible to write multiple endings for the missions based on your decisions? I have wanted script a dilo/combat mission. In that your best ending would be via no violence but you can still pass the mission without it but you will get a totally different path from one another.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 58
10-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Don't worry.Your not anywhere near the top of the threat/hate list.
Woot!

10/char
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 59
10-04-2010, 04:39 AM
Quote:
Hmm, I think something like this might be as simple as making a few different special volumes available as objects you can place in your map, but I'll have to look into it a little more. Some things are done using a complicated system in our proprietary tools that UGC doesn't have access to yet.
Man, that sort of thing would be awesome.

Haha, there's lots of stuff i'd love to have in UGC that probably even the mission developers dont have...

I wonder if one day we'll look forward to new episodes for potential new UGC content as much as the episodes themselves

The hard part will be catering to players of different difficulty preferences than my own...ahrg.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 60
10-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapolis View Post
Our goal is to make UGC tools powerful enough to create most if not all of the current episodes in STO with the same level of complexity.
Thank you for the reply, i appreciate the explanation.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:54 PM.