Lt. Commander
Star Trek is full of people and factions that are not part of the federation or any massive empire. Yet, I see no plan so far to let us play as, say, Yridian smugglers or Maquis rebels.
While I agree we should have the Cardassian Union and the Romulan Empire as playable factions, and probably even more, I think this leaves a lot of species out of the game. And it would be a shame if we wouldn't be able to play them.

What I propose is, instead of making seperate factions for all these different species, we could have a "non-faction" faction with neutral bases like Drosana. With weekly episodes and UGC on the horizon, leveling shouldn't be much of a problem either.
I won't even go into detail about the actual species in this faction, because there is a huge amount of possibilites. But the species we currently have on the Federation and KDF side should be playable here as well.

I realize this would not be on the to-do list anytime soon, but I think it's worth considering before adding new factions to the game.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-04-2010, 02:52 AM
that or your prefered faction(s) (Romulan,spoon head,Undine etc) templates.. once we have the basic set up... they can then say... right.. go make missions with the UGC for your factions.

Winning team gets the cryptic teams lunch.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-04-2010, 07:56 AM
One day, STO will be needing pirates.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-04-2010, 05:38 PM
I have always liked the idea of having a Ferengi Captain... smuggling, wheeling, dealing, quoting rules of aquisition... and then retiring on my own planet. Yeah... that sounds good. []
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-04-2010, 06:42 PM
... I secretly want to be a Ferengi and own my own moon.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-04-2010, 11:15 PM
A ferengi faction would be good for folks who like to do a little space commodity trading. Maybe their activities could have an effect on vendor prices...