Lt. Commander
Ok I found that once I hit Admiral (lower) I could not promote my BO's to Captain (even tho option shows - dumb). However on impulse I tried fitting one of them with a ground weapon and shield that shows you have to be Captain rank to use.... and they fit without a problem (was expecting message saying "can't use this"). Does anyone know if this is another bug (like showing an option to promote them to Captain but can't) or will the Captain level ground weapons and shields actually work for BO's even if not Captain? I would hate to do a ground mission and find all my BO's have no working shields or weapons lol.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-02-2010, 12:51 PM
This has been available since the tail end of Beta due to player request.

Basically: we'd get rewards we couldn't give our BOs, it was obnoxious, we asked it be changed, it was. (It's why there were a few weapons post-launch, like the overcharged plasma sniper rifle, that could not be equipped to BOs until they were at it's Mk rating.)
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-02-2010, 01:16 PM
Thanks but am afraid it doesn't quite answer my question (unless I am being dense). Am trying to find out if 'captain' ground weapons and shields are functional on a BO that is just commander - since the fitting window allows you to equip them with 'Captain' grade items??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistformsquirrel
This has been available since the tail end of Beta due to player request.

Basically: we'd get rewards we couldn't give our BOs, it was obnoxious, we asked it be changed, it was. (It's why there were a few weapons post-launch, like the overcharged plasma sniper rifle, that could not be equipped to BOs until they were at it's Mk rating.)
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-02-2010, 06:14 PM
That is exactly what I said. <@.@>

Allow me to put it another way:

If you're a captain you can use Mk VIII gear yes?

Your BO is only a commander; however they can still use Mk VIII gear, because it goes off of your level. Way back in Closed Beta it was not like that however - they could only use gear to their own level. This was disliked by players and changed.

So summed up: Yes, they can use any gear you give them that you yourself can use; unless it's bugged. (I believe all the bugged gear has long been fixed however.

I apologize if I was unclear however, I was very tired when I wrote that, and i can be a bit incomprehensible when tired.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Great thanks so much for the information.... I think I had a hard time understanding since it doesn't make sense to me lol. I mean a commander being able to equip Captain stuff - just odd to me. Also a bit mad - as that means I have been 'under equipping' my bridge officers the whole time I have been playing lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistformsquirrel
That is exactly what I said. <@.@>

Allow me to put it another way:

If you're a captain you can use Mk VIII gear yes?

Your BO is only a commander; however they can still use Mk VIII gear, because it goes off of your level. Way back in Closed Beta it was not like that however - they could only use gear to their own level. This was disliked by players and changed.

So summed up: Yes, they can use any gear you give them that you yourself can use; unless it's bugged. (I believe all the bugged gear has long been fixed however.

I apologize if I was unclear however, I was very tired when I wrote that, and i can be a bit incomprehensible when tired.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-07-2010, 05:59 AM
Well the entire level bound items are a artifact of game design.
theres simply no reason with someone should not be able to pick up a gun and use it, especialy in sto where the guns are all the exact same across the levels, they just do more damage. Its not the better weapons are more complicated or different.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Anything you can use, your BOs can use.

And furthermore, should be using - if they are not equipped to your level (roughly), they will probably get slaughtered.