Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
10-01-2010, 03:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalnar
Some science abilities are great, some are bad, some are never used on certain ranks, but the ships itself are a little awkward. Also, its very hard to create interesting hybrids out of them, and its really hard to be creative with them. If you think about it, there is not that great variance in the most viable builds and it boils down to just a few used. But that's likely because the difference between the usability of science BO skills and the design of science ships.

Usually some sci abiltiies are overused, then eat nerf and are never heard of again. After that some people bring up new builds, which leads to most people overusing it with people complaining, and that leads to another nerf. Science in STO is in eternal nerf spirale.

Viral Matrix was first, Feedback pulse second followed by jam sensors.....I wonder what will come next. Charged particle burst probably.

With that said, I think there is always the misconception about dps, total dmg, and spikes. You can top dmg done charts with spamming transphasic torps/mines/breen torp, but it doesn't mean anything.
i actully have a feeling that charged burst may not get the nerf hammer, simply because they found a way to increase shields. (the thing on the thing in tribble).

and as for there being cookie cutter builds, it does make me a little to sad to think of it like that (no matter how true it is) but on the other hand, having the same build as everyone else doesnt make you as good as that other person. -wonders if his build is a cookie build-
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-01-2010, 03:50 AM
Well cookie cutter works, hence why people say science is not weak. But remove the cookie cutters and check again if its true.

For me personally, science abilities are nice secondary supportive abilities of my ships. Hence why I prefer ships with extra sci slots. But overall, there is not much I can do in science ship, I cannot do in other vessel for roughly same effect. Hence why I pefer to fly my latest sci in Galaxy-R, although it was originally created to fly the cruiser variant of nebula, which would suit my playstyle better I guess.
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-01-2010, 06:37 AM
I think CPB will not be nerfed because I havne't really seen any complains on that. Maybe after RSP changes hit Holodeck?

But it really seems that the primary build is focused on CPB and TB and that's it. What other builds are really common and effective? And couldn't be done just as well as a Cruiser build? I figure something with PSW is also nice. Photonic Officer might be an overlooked ability to deal with Science's cooldown issues.

If I see no evidence of alternate, viable succesful builds, I just have to assume they don't exist. Maybe there are superior setups in premades, but what about PuGs where not everyone is fine-tuned to specific Science builds?
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-01-2010, 10:18 AM
I'm built around survivability, with only 3 "offensive" Sci powers (FBP 3, GravWell 1, PSW 1).

Annoy the heck out of people, get them to target me, and then punish them with FBP 3. It works out well. I've also found that I'm better off (again, YMMV depending on playstyle) with all Cannons/Turrets and Rapid Fire for Phaser procs and damage instead of using beams and TSS.
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-01-2010, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I think CPB will not be nerfed because I havne't really seen any complains on that. Maybe after RSP changes hit Holodeck?

But it really seems that the primary build is focused on CPB and TB and that's it. What other builds are really common and effective? And couldn't be done just as well as a Cruiser build? I figure something with PSW is also nice. Photonic Officer might be an overlooked ability to deal with Science's cooldown issues.

If I see no evidence of alternate, viable succesful builds, I just have to assume they don't exist. Maybe there are superior setups in premades, but what about PuGs where not everyone is fine-tuned to specific Science builds?
yep well mostly and matteo also covered alot...

but well PO is fail because its cd is too high.

science is fun if your team works well, and if you have luck you can beat anyone, just spawn some crazy battleship that one-shotīs your opp..
but well i do fine solo or in a team in sci, itīs just way more fun in a team, the opposition in this game is seriously lacking though.

to all puggers: look for a pvp fleet and hook up with them for pvp, even if you donīt wnna join them for rp or pve reason.... pvp is teamplay, solo pvp is stupid, pugging is actually stupid, the only reason would be for tesing builds or chilling or whatever.

oh well iīm drunk cya tomorrow
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-08-2010, 05:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellfxxx
the only reason would be for tesing builds or chilling or whatever.
and maybe for...fun?

nothing like getting a good PUGvsPUG
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dassem_Ultor
and maybe for...fun?

nothing like getting a good PUGvsPUG
but even then all it takes is one person to then cordinate the others on his team to make it one sided. ive done that several times, all it takes is "target -insert name-" and then like magic they shoot them until another target is called.