Lt. Commander
# 201
10-05-2010, 11:50 PM
While StarbasePrime is correct, we have another interview coming out very soon on all question UGC so lets see how that pans out.
Lt. Commander
# 202
10-08-2010, 06:44 AM
Thank you Mapolis!

Earlier it was reported that the UGC tools could not carry mission data between missions and this completely destroyed some ideas such as the UGC Starbase. However, Mapolis looked into it more and it turns out it is possible! [link]

Other news:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapolis View Post
We already have hidden marker volumes that can be used as a mission objective that will complete when the player enters them. These can be used to trigger encounters currently. We don't have random mission branching, but I love that idea, so I'll put it on the wishlist

We will be adding the ability to have optional objectives soon, but it's not in yet.
Mapolis: Could you check the OP (and next couple of posts) to ensure those are on the Wishlist too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapolis View Post
We pretty much enabled our entire object library for UGC authors, so most of what you see in the game will be available for use. In the editor, you can make nearly any object a clickable object
Lt. Commander
# 203
10-08-2010, 12:33 PM
StarbasePrime,

Interesting, that really answers alot of good stuff and answers on and in regards to alot of different directions and projects in which people wish to do with the UGC.
Lt. Commander
# 204
10-09-2010, 07:12 AM
Some notes from Dan on the UGC Ranking system:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Player Authored Missions will be marked and have their own Tab on the new remote contact list. Missions must receive author ratings before they ever have the chance of being public, and even then only highly rated public missions are ever displayed in the "here's some cool ugc content" list. Note that you "will" be able to search for specific missions so that you can play them even if they don't show up in public lists. (aka you can share your mission, or look for a favorite author, or search by category of missions etc)
Missions must receive author ratings
This is interesting - but I'm not sure what it means. An author of a mission would rank it five stars (if they didn't think it was great why would they post it?). So, I wonder if that means that "authors" in the sense of folks that have already successfully published well received missions don't form some sort of panel? We'll need more info on that!

Categories
Not sure what they mean by this, possibly space, ground, diplo. I can't imagine trying to categorize missions in other ways, too many varieties and combinations that I don't see it being useful.

What Worries Me About Rankings
I still haven't seen anything calling the rankings "personalized" or "subjective". The big problem with a flat average ranking (the sum of all the scores divided by the count) is that it waters down rankings in a needlessly useless way. Some people like insanely hard missions, some people like missions with lots of dialog, the point is the players of STO are very different and like different things - we're diverse. If I like the insanely hard missions but 80% of the people rate it poorly, the mission I want would be lumped in with the mass of 1 star missions - being forever lost - we'll never find the types of mission we like (other than the few that have universal appeal). Sure, an an average is easy (straight db query), but a "personalized" system really isn't that much harder (a nightly process that reranks missions by a player's ranking) and would open far more missions up to more people.
Lt. Commander
# 205
10-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Mapolis has been at it again! Lots of tips here
Lt. Commander
# 206
10-11-2010, 02:36 AM
I apologize if this has already been listed above (its a long post and I couldn't read it all just now).

One basic feature I would like to see is the ability to make a mission *fail* if the player kills to many of something. This would allow us to make stealth missions where the player must infiltrate a base or get to a planet without being spotted by enemies. Ideally this idea should also be extended to include scanning as well, so you could make puzzles which the player can fail if they end up scanning too many of the wrong thing.

-- Z
Lt. Commander
# 207
10-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Good interview with Dan on STOked regarding the tools, timeframes, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapgun View Post
One basic feature I would like to see is the ability to make a mission *fail* if the player kills to many of something. This would allow us to make stealth missions where the player must infiltrate a base or get to a planet without being spotted by enemies. Ideally this idea should also be extended to include scanning as well, so you could make puzzles which the player can fail if they end up scanning too many of the wrong thing.

-- Z
Good idea! Not sure yet if it will be possible based on what we know.
Lt. Commander
# 208
10-13-2010, 05:47 AM
I mentioned it on another thread, apologies if anyone has already suggested it on this thread. I'd like to be able to tell whether a player is wearing an off-duty uniform or not. This would help "undercover" missions, whereby NPCs refuse to help you (possibly even fail the mission) if you're wearing your normal pyjamas and communicator.

(Though this is rather contrary to other people wanting to be able to totally mix-and-match uniform and off-duty costume pieces...)
Lt. Commander
# 209
10-13-2010, 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by divycom View Post
I mentioned it on another thread, apologies if anyone has already suggested it on this thread. I'd like to be able to tell whether a player is wearing an off-duty uniform or not. This would help "undercover" missions, whereby NPCs refuse to help you (possibly even fail the mission) if you're wearing your normal pyjamas and communicator.

(Though this is rather contrary to other people wanting to be able to totally mix-and-match uniform and off-duty costume pieces...)
Now that's some creative thinking! Great requirement!
Lt. Commander
# 210
10-19-2010, 06:15 AM
Cool Beans! The beta for the tools is beginning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
... the Foundry is going into a short closed beta this week (crossing fingers), ...
To you lucky few in the beta - Feel free to use the OP (and next two posts) as a checklist. Most importantly, please look for and report anything that can be used as an exploit.

Warp Speed!