Lt. Commander
# 101
10-12-2010, 10:04 PM
I've clipped some things out and reorganized your post so I can address it in the chunks that relate to each other. Hopefully is re-collation will communicate a bit on its own without my having to explain much in extensive reiterative repetitive ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronH View Post
Rael and Andromedans:To me is just another religion. I don't see how this is evidence of a "religion of knowledge" as you call it.
Actually the alien cult is a front so that nobody would take them seriously. Raelians are a group of scientists, doctors, physicists, sociologists, and other brilliant folks, mostly with *at least* one PhD who all started getting together in the 1960s to lobby against human cloning in every nation on earth, while simultaneously buying a private island outside the boundaries of those legal entities so they could perform human cloning experiments. They used global politics to corner the market on clinical immortality. Smart folks. The alien cult thing is just a way to keep every casual observer that runs across them to busy to understand what they're doing and why. Ingenious if you ask me.

It makes them the sole proprieters on this planet of human cloning technology... and guess who wants to live forever? Rich people. I'm not talking about millionairres here, that's not the kind of rich I mean. I mean billionairrs, trillionairres, Kings, Warren Buffets, Alwaleed Bin Talals, Bill Gateses. Those are the people that have risen so high in our global community that they now control more wealth than most entire nations. They're iconic, ubermenschen, the pinnacle of what humanity has to offer whether you like it or not. They have outcompeted everyone else, they won. Now, for the last several thousand years these kind of people have been trying to find immortality... the philosopher's stone, the fountain of youth, vampirism... they'd do just about anything to stay alive and enjoy the fruits of their labor. Also, they can actually afford it.

Only now are we reaching a point in technological sophistication that we might actually give them what they want. We can clone someone, we can repair spinal cord tissue. Those two things alone mean that we can now give someone a brain transplant back into their own younger healthier body. That's what I'm talking about when I say clinical immortality. Raelians have created that situation already, it's here now. This isn't something that's happening in the future, it's here NOW.

Quote:
As for basing morality on reason, I have to disagree. At its earliest inception morality was based on reason, because right and wrong grew out of the necesities of the group. Don't get me wrong, a lot of unreasonable things have grown out of it, but usually if you trace back down cultural lines, most of our current social stigmas and unwritten rules had a logical beginning.
You and I can have this debate elsewhere, if we put it on this forum we'll get trolled until the end of time. Sorry dude, some people just can't handle reason yet. They're still in the "it's an outsider, kill it!" mode that has supported all religions through known history. I'll address what I can about more specific points.

Quote:
All of that aside, I don't see how that relates to the religion of knowledge? Many of these things are things that interest me, but ultimately while I am knowledgable because they interest me, the vast majority of people I interact with know nothing or little about the topic, because the will isn't there. For the people like me who are interested, the information is simply easier to access, but for the people who aren't it doesn't effect them.
Will... okay, well, without getting too far into it... some people have the will to blow themselves up in heavily populated public places. There's no logical reason for that kind of behavior, there's no emotional reward of any kind involved. Will can be, and often is, manufactured by bureaucratic entities. That's WHY Coke, McDonald's, and Nike are global.

Quote:
now I am being told in 2010 technology will cure old age, end world hunger and carry us all to the starts.
World hunger maybe not, but the other two are the past not the future.

Quote:
So yah, maybe I don't think the next decade will be the awe inspiring technological marathon that some are making it out to be, that doesn't mean I don't believe we are making progress. Things are changing, we are getting there, I just have trouble getting my hopes up to high.
Let's talk about the last decade for a second, then. In 2000 the "y2k bug" was a big fear for a lot of people who thought the world would come to a grinding halt because of an operating system flaw that counted 2000 as 1900. It didn't happen because it was never an issue in the first place, but people were scared of it because computers have become involved in every aspect of the modern world. Since then, we have seen this less than comprehensive list of technologies come into existence:

1.) 9 different cures for 138 kinds of cancer
2.) hand-held data/communication devices (iPhone, NintendoDS, Nook, blackberry)
3.) commercial spaceflight
4.) wireless broadband, bluetooth, blu-ray, portable commercial satellite uplink, commercial GPS
5.) human pheremone based hygeine products (Axe body spray only smells good because it hacks your brain chemistry)
6.) unmanned aerial drones for military applications
7.) sophisticated globally networked AI systems (Echelon LONworks, XEROX PARC)
8.) genetically engineered biofuel synthesis and pollution cleanup products
9.) nanotech monofilament transistors
10.) hand-held BEAM weapons (the "pain ray" non-lethal riot-breaker as an example)
11.) micronuclear reactors for commercial use (currently there are 77 of them already in office buildings around north america, three different companies in Japan are producing them for extremely cheap)
12.) stem cell treatments for curing congenital diseases
13.) holographic interface (there are about four thousand versions of this in alpha stages of development)
14.) direct brain/machine hardware interfaces (UCLA, Apple, and brainfingers.com all have some very cool stuff already)

This is just since the year 2000.

Quote:
If a man can start his life in a farrmhouse with no running water, a coalfired stove to heat the place, and the only way to communicate being to walk into town; and end his life with a device that allows him to communicate in picture and sound with the other side of the world, to have electric heating and cooling and to be able to travel around the globe with ease, then imagine what those of us born at the dawn of the internet age will see in our twilight years?
yes, while it was only in 1882 that CPR was no longer considered "necromancy" and by 1982 every schoolkid in the world had to learn it by age 10 in order to be a responsible citizen.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, modern culture has seeped into every corner of the earth, but there are still good chuncks of the human population that don't have electricity, running water, let alone the internet. I am not saying it is the majority of the population, and we are making progress, but that population is there. If you are saying that all the information the west recieves on these topics is fraudulent and part of some globabl conspiracy, then I can't really argue with that and we should just drop it and focus on other topics.
That's an infrastructural thing, not a religious one. Okay, Amish people aside, even Mennonites use cellphones. Some countries are just run so poorly that they can't develop the infrastructure to get involved in the technologically modern world in a large scale, but even in those places the governments are already online and using satellites. It's only a matter of time before the overflow of prosperity reaches even the bush people of central africa.

Quote:
Now, as for the technological singularity. Its a cool concept. I know some people are predicting it will happen soon, but who knows? The reequirment of building a computer as smart or smarter than a man kinda throws things up in the air, because it isn't just a feat of science, but a feat of engineering too. We went to the moon in 1969 not because we were so incredibily scientifically advanced, but because we had the engineering willpower. I honestly believe we have reached or are reaching the hardware level necessary to create the necessary intelligence, and there are numerous theories on how it could be accomplished, the problem is the program and the willingness to fund the high development cost. That is the only reason I question whether it will happen in the next decade.
Well, have you met people? The problem of building a computer as SMART as a person isn't an issue... it's building a computer as DUMB as a person that we're running into problems with. In all seriousness though, in the AI circuit we have a bit of a saying, "Artificial intelligence is easy, it's artificial stupidity that's difficult."

Quote:
Virgin Galactic: Actually, Virgin Galactic I know a lot about. But, keep in mind they aren't the only ones engaged in the private space venture. Check out Bigalow Aerospace, they are working on a space hotel, and from what I have read they look to be the most promising candidate for getting it done "soon". There are a lot of people out there competing in the field of commercial spaceflight. That is one thing that is really cool about the US current administration (lets not get political, this is simply based on their stated goals), they are heavily supporting privatization of low earth orbit (which all current private ventures are working towards) and letting Nasa focus more on beyond earth. The thing is, their current timetable doesn't have us going to mars until 2035 .
(oops, too many words)
Lt. Commander
# 102
10-12-2010, 10:05 PM
(...continued...)

NASA WorldWind is a free prgram you can download from the NASA website. It's the collated images of earth, the moon, mars, any celestial body we've surface mapped. Now, because NASA is a government entity there are certain rules they must follow, as set forth by the various agencies in charge. One of those rules is the repetitious deletion of the surface image of high security military bases. Near the southern pole of Mars there is such a deletion. It's the only graphical anomaly on Mars of its kind, and it's in a great place for a military base... nice square plateau with a V-shaped cut in the eastern face that is roughly 100 miles from a glacier and 100 miles from a source of iron.

Now, having said that, I can't actually prove that there is a U.S. military base at the south pole of Mars... but why else would there be a repeated surface deletion on a government map? That is to say... we launched a manned mission to Mars in 1986 and mysteriously never heard another word about it. It's SOP to run a few tests and make sure something can be done WELL before we leap into a propaganda campaign claiming it's possible and we're doing it. I mean, we aren't exactly known for our honest transparent governments on this planet.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion about our discussion. I look forward to your reconsidered response.
Lt. Commander
# 103
10-12-2010, 10:23 PM
If aliens are real and do come here, they probably wont look like a person with foam or whatever material it is all over his face, thats the one thing i cant stand about star trek, everything else is fine.
Lt. Commander
# 104
10-13-2010, 03:50 AM
Imagines the future when aliens live among us. I can see it now, the new series of Come Dine with me here in the UK.

Thats the one with the alien guest who eats the party hosts pets thinking they are the horderves. Followed by the guests for the main course.