Lt. Commander
# 11
10-08-2010, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetzaal
User Generated Content - Essentially you can create your own missions using built in templates.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. The fact cryptic failed so badly in CoH means they will have a better idea of what was wrong and hopefully they won't make the same mistakes twice.
Small nitpick, by the time CoH got the Mission Architect Cryptic had long since sold the game off to NCSoft. They had nothing to do with the UGC system in CoH.
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-08-2010, 07:31 AM
Grinding is sadly part of MMO's once you hit the top levels. No one has come up with a good solution to it. WoW's answer is new releases, BC, WotLK and soon Cataclysm, but once you've hit the top level it's back gear grinding. WAR at least had 'War' to keep people happyish. Theres still some grind but its not as repetative as WoW and STO (no dailies last time i looked thank god), and thats something STO should have done, make the war more pronounced.

The biggest problem in the grind with STO is that its sooooo dull because the missions are so limited. Shoot 5 of this, scan 5 of that, just in a slightly different skin. MOre variety is desperetly needed in this game. the weekly espisodes are a good start but did I read right, they going to remove the breen one? why? why do this? leave it in so people who come in to the game in teh future have that variety, or those creating new toons having something more than shoot 5 fo this, scan 5 of that.

It could be worse however, the grind could become a vital part of the game, like wow, where one piece of equipment gives you a massive boost in abilities so if you want to compete with everyone else, you have to have it. WAR is a little like that, STO not so much, yet.
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort1980 View Post
Oh, ok, thanks

I remember seeing that for CoH/V and thinking it looked like fun. Never got a chance to play around with it properly though. If it sucked that badly though, maybe it's a good thing I didn't. Let's hope it works well for ST:O though. Being able to write your own episodes could be kinda cool.
It doesn't suck. It's just not being used for it's intended purpose. Many people use it to Powerlevel characters and never have to leave the building the Architect is in. Some refer to those as AE Babies. What makes it bad, is those AE babies are running around at max level asking questions about simple things a normal max level character would know.
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Hello,

I would just like to say that this game, as opposed to many others, is not very "grindy." I don't feel as if I need to spend 2 hours a day doing daily quests and then all evening finding a pug to raid content for 4 hours straight for that purple gear that will never drop for me.

Leveling is cake, especially on federation side.

I can understand that you are getting bored of the same dailys every day. I experience this too from time to time. This is a legitimate concern, just because it may seem to get tedious. However, if you want to be the best, I think there should be some sacrifice on the player's part.

But honestly, I feel like this game has a nice casual feel to it. If I don't feel like doing my dailys one day, it will be there the next, and I certainly don't feel pressured to commit hours to the game or be pestered by a guild just to get decent gear. You can work at your own pace for the most part.

The greatest advice in MMOs is this: take a break. Whether for a day or a week, or even a month, you will be refreshed and ready to come back if you truly love the game. =) Happy gaming!
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb74
The biggest problem in the grind with STO is that its sooooo dull because the missions are so limited. Shoot 5 of this, scan 5 of that, just in a slightly different skin. MOre variety is desperetly needed in this game. the weekly espisodes are a good start but did I read right, they going to remove the breen one? why? why do this? leave it in so people who come in to the game in teh future have that variety, or those creating new toons having something more than shoot 5 fo this, scan 5 of that.

It could be worse however, the grind could become a vital part of the game, like wow, where one piece of equipment gives you a massive boost in abilities so if you want to compete with everyone else, you have to have it. WAR is a little like that, STO not so much, yet.
I think you missunderstand, unless of course it's me, but the breen aren't coming out of the game. They just have a policy that the special reward is for those who view the episodes at release rather than as reruns. It's the breen officer that is coming out of the game... well for a while. Half a year from now I would expect it to be in the C-store for all those who missed the original (and frankly, that's fair).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefertari View Post
It doesn't suck. It's just not being used for it's intended purpose. Many people use it to Powerlevel characters and never have to leave the building the Architect is in. Some refer to those as AE Babies. What makes it bad, is those AE babies are running around at max level asking questions about simple things a normal max level character would know.
There's a simple solution to AE babies... no experience for UGE. If you can't take uber-drops out of UGE, then why take experience? That way all the UGE that gets made will serve the purpose of end game grind relief. I think they really thought they had enough PVE that end game wouldn't be such an issue for a while. But there's a massive demand for quality Trek out there, and CBS/Paramount left us starving for good stories.

And I thank Cryptic that they didn't go to the "must have but rarely drops purple item" model for end game. That's the dullest grind ever. Making proper use of players is really the only way to keep end game content interesting while they crank out the next tale of adventure.... That means better PVP, and UGE that is just about the entertainment value rather than powering up your toon.
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-12-2010, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb74
the weekly espisodes are a good start but did I read right, they going to remove the breen one? why? why do this? leave it in so people who come in to the game in teh future have that variety, or those creating new toons having something more than shoot 5 fo this, scan 5 of that.
The Breen series (and all of the weeklies AFAIK) will remain in the game. The special rewards for completing the series before the next one starts (in this case, the Breen BOff) will be removed. Keep this up for a year and that will be quite a bit of additional content.
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-15-2010, 07:05 AM
The reason grind exists at end game is simple:
It takes less time to play a mission/quest/storyline than it does to create one.

As a consequence of this and the fact that the game has existied for a finite amount of time; it will have a finite amount of content. Thus until the game has been around long enough that enough content to last a human life-span has been built up, and everyone who joined previous to that point is dead it will be possible for a player to have exauseted the playable content and have to either repeat repetable content or find some other game to play.
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-15-2010, 07:45 AM
Something that people need to remember is that Cryptic (and any other MMOG maker) need to develop for the majority.
Various stats and studies and the like show that the vast majority of the playerbase are 'casual players', who get on at most for a few hours once or twice a week. Hardcore raiders, Serious roleplayers, Accolade collectors and gearquest minmaxers... these are a startlingly small percentage of the players. The vast majority never get on the forums, rarely see the end boss of a raid, and have no hope or inclination to get the obscure accolades.

What they do want is the ability to do a good, interesting quest for their couple of hours. They want light death penalties, easy grouping with nice people, just enough of a challenge to be entertaining, and perhaps some cute things to buy that serve as a brief bit of 'look at me' when in a public area.

Thus... cstore vanity pets, weekly episodes, hardcore players being ignored on the forums, roleplayers feeling hard-done-by, unstable PvP maps and STFs, and so on. It's not that Cryptic doesn't care, it's that they have to pander to the people paying the majority of their salary first.

Hence, the grind. It's not the most interesting thing to do, but at least it's something to keep the people who've flown to the end occupied until they have time to do something more interesting for them. It's a timesink, a fairly arbitrary goal to work towards in between weeklies.

As people have suggested... don't sweat it. Take a day or two off in another MMO, come back for the weeklies and the events, keep an eye on the UGC and the like, and take the game for what it's worth... which, considering the ROI, is still better than the vast majority of single player games.