Lt. Commander
# 1 The Top 10 Star Trek Tech
10-15-2010, 09:35 AM
Top 10 Star Trek Tech

Classic Star Trek contributed more to the modern world than phrases like "Beam me up, Scotty!" Many of the devices we saw decades ago are now available for use in the real world; we thank the engineers who made real these ten Star Trek technologies. - Bill Christensen, Technovelgy.com

Click here to visit the list

I found this while waiting for my update to complete. Thankfully my inet speeds are amazing as I'm already half way there and started maybe 15mins ago... But in the mean time, hopefully this'll help you to bide your time while you wait for that engage button to popup.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-15-2010, 09:54 AM
Interesting list. I would agree with everything but the QUID - while apparently "designed" as interstellar currency, that would hinge on the idea that any intelligent lifeforms we encounter accepting it. Otherwise, they'd just life. Personally, I always saw Federation credits as sort of analogous to modern day credit and debit cards.

The correlation between modern day ion thrusters and Star Trek's implulse engines might have been better.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archanubis
Interesting list. I would agree with everything but the QUID - while apparently "designed" as interstellar currency, that would hinge on the idea that any intelligent lifeforms we encounter accepting it. Otherwise, they'd just life. Personally, I always saw Federation credits as sort of analogous to modern day credit and debit cards.

The correlation between modern day ion thrusters and Star Trek's implulse engines might have been better.
Agreed.

Thanks for sharing, Opa, that was pretty neat (even if I already knew about most of those). I fail to see how the PHASR looks anything like a phaser rifle from the shows, and I hope any actual model they put out for actual use is a lot smaller, because that is just too frickin' huge to use practically, especially as just something meant to disable someone.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archanubis

Very true on all accounts. I always find it interesting that for the most part, sci-fi has seemed to always set the bar for real technological breakthroughs in the future, although I'm still waiting for my hoverboard...
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-15-2010, 05:48 PM
I recall seeing recently that there was a "new" way of injecting vaccines into people without using a needle and syringe. From what I saw, it seemed to work like a hypospray, but it was a while back so I don't remember the details.

There's also the Airborne Laser system being tested by the U.S. Air Force, which, to me, seems like an early version of ship mounted phasers.

And finally, there's the VAriable Specific Impulse Magnetoplasma Rocket (VASIMR) which sounds an awful lot like Star Trek's Impulse Engines. It's supposed to be capable of getting us to Mars in roughly 2 weeks as opposed to the current 6 month trip using current rocket tech. I may have mentioned this before on here, and if so, well that's how excited I am about it. Now, if the government would just quit ****ing around and give NASA the funding it requires.....
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-15-2010, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USSNighthawk
I recall seeing recently that there was a "new" way of injecting vaccines into people without using a needle and syringe. From what I saw, it seemed to work like a hypospray, but it was a while back so I don't remember the details.
Hypodermic sprays aren't new, though I do remember last year or the year before a more viable consumer level option was available that mostly eliminated the risk of embolisms.

They were used during some of the big global vaccination pushes like smallpox, since the same injector could be reused repeatedly without risk of passing blood borne diseases (very good if you're trying to vaccinate tens of thousands of rural residents in a malaria hot zone with minimal funding). They're not (at least the old ones weren't) gentle and painless like a Star Trek hypospray. My grandfather got his army vaccinations with one, and described it like being hit in the arm with a baseball bat. He has a nasty scar to show for it.