Lt. Commander
# 1 Thatís just not right.
10-15-2010, 07:49 PM
So while doing missions I came across one that left me shaking my head and muttering ďThatís just not right...Ē

I had beamed down to investigate some rare mineral (just another scan X, the scan 4 more X mission). All fine, exploration is very Star Trek. Then my tac officer gets in contact. Apparently some weird alien race (canít recall their name but not part of the Klingon faction) are also investigating the mineral.

Well fair enough, the Federation is all about the sharing... wait... I have to kill these guys to finish the mission? Seriously Starfleet is going to reward me for gunning down aliens whose only crime was to be here first (because they sure seem to be settled around all the interesting minerals)?

Thatís not my Federation.

Then another mission. Apparently someone has gone into the pirate business and a local system wants me to investigate. I check the wreckage of the cargo ships, sift through the evidence and come to the grim conclusion that the Terran Empire is behind it. Villainous thugs from another universe. Sickening! I report the news to the planet, who then reveal that apparently they will deal with this through diplomatic channels.
Diplomatic channels to another universe? Impressive, this one system race has a better diplomatic corps than the Federation.

So people, what missions/things make you go ďThatís not right...Ē

(More talking about story stuff rather than things like, "we seem to blow up an awful lot of ships", which while true, is hard to avoid when making a game)
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-15-2010, 07:54 PM
It's a time of warrrrr. The feds have no moral compass.

If you had a problem with this mission, you'll also have have a problem killing scientists, bar patrons, and every other example of the lackluster state of ethics in the sto universe.

I've learned to think of it as the mirror universe, since it's a dystopian vision of the future of humanity.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-15-2010, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbrop View Post
So while doing missions I came across one that left me shaking my head and muttering ďThatís just not right...Ē

I had beamed down to investigate some rare mineral (just another scan X, the scan 4 more X mission). All fine, exploration is very Star Trek. Then my tac officer gets in contact. Apparently some weird alien race (canít recall their name but not part of the Klingon faction) are also investigating the mineral.

Well fair enough, the Federation is all about the sharing... wait... I have to kill these guys to finish the mission? Seriously Starfleet is going to reward me for gunning down aliens whose only crime was to be here first (because they sure seem to be settled around all the interesting minerals)?

Thatís not my Federation.

Then another mission. Apparently someone has gone into the pirate business and a local system wants me to investigate. I check the wreckage of the cargo ships, sift through the evidence and come to the grim conclusion that the Terran Empire is behind it. Villainous thugs from another universe. Sickening! I report the news to the planet, who then reveal that apparently they will deal with this through diplomatic channels.
Diplomatic channels to another universe? Impressive, this one system race has a better diplomatic corps than the Federation.

So people, what missions/things make you go ďThatís not right...Ē

(More talking about story stuff rather than things like, "we seem to blow up an awful lot of ships", which while true, is hard to avoid when making a game)
I often use stealth to finish those mission, and use combat as a last ditch effort. or i will just abandon them and let the aliens have their resources.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-15-2010, 08:18 PM
It's the "Han shot first" rule of diplomacy.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
It's a time of warrrrr. The feds have no moral compass.

If you had a problem with this mission, you'll also have have a problem killing scientists, bar patrons, and every other example of the lackluster state of ethics in the sto universe.

I've learned to think of it as the mirror universe, since it's a dystopian vision of the future of humanity.
I tend to think of it as a dimension half way between the 'Prime' setting and the Mirror U.

We look like Prime but act like MU...sort of. It's like we're the Diet Coke of the Mirror universe.

Lt. Commander
# 6
10-15-2010, 08:24 PM
This happens a lot with the Genesis System. ESPECIALLY when dealing with the Borg/Mirror Universe, since the dialogue treats them like any other race, with territory, leaders, etc. I just try to ignore it. Would be nice to have Cryptic clean it up one day but honestly new content is more important.