Lt. Commander
# 1 New Player questions
10-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Hi all

I've just started playing STO and have really enjoyed it so far, If anyone wouldn't mind answering a few questions...

What are some of the best ways to get energy credits?

Are there no visable name displays for other players, except on mouse over, i have the "show other players" name checked but no permenant names showing per say.

The term "Fleets" refers to temporary groupings for harder missions?

Is voice chat ever used?

Are there any guides for new player basics?

Tyvm to anyone that can help
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-15-2010, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purefyre7

Are there no visable name displays for other players, except on mouse over, i have the "show other players" name checked but no permenant names showing per say.

Tyvm to anyone that can help
1: PvP. But then ec isn't really that useful. Run exploration missions, and use the badges to get blues/greens. Another method is harvesting the mid-level data samples from exploration zones near Romulan space and selling them for ec. But seriously. Just use exploration badges if you wanna level with gear.

2: Options > HUD

3: No; fleets in STO are like guilds in WoW

4: Only for STFs in certain fleets

5: Not really. Roll an alien with Soldier, and 3 of the following: Accurate, Efficient, Elusive, Techie, or Warp Theorist, (add Astrophysicist to this list of considered racials if you intend to fly a science vessel).
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-15-2010, 08:35 PM
1. Just sell all the loot you don't use or equip, you level up pretty fast so you don't need to worry about keeping old tiers of gear.

2.. There may be an option for that, but I wouldn't recommend it. Social areas can have enough people that it would get really crowded on your screen with all that text.

3. Fleets are permanant groups of players, while Groups are the temporary mission teams.

4. People generally use either TeamSpeak 3 or Ventrilo if they know someone with a server.

5. You may want to google STOWiki, or check the sigs of other people on the forums, there are tons of good links. (Kinda like the referral key you can use if you're still in the demo version )
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Quote:
PvP, sell useless items, etc. Honestly you really do not need energy credits when you start playing. Plus you can buy better items with Badges of Exploration.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure there is an option for it. Go back into options where you saw mouse over and try changing it.

Quote:
No. Fleets are like guilds, clubs, whatever you want to call it.

Quote:
Is voice chat ever used?
The game doesn't have voice chat, but some fleets and players do use it for certain missions.

Quote:
Check out the link in my signature. There is a lot of useful information on that site. If you ever have questions feel free to send me a message. You can also ask on the board, and look at the sticky topics.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-16-2010, 09:09 PM
I found a lot of very useful guides in this thread: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=118581

I'm pretty new to the game too, and found the people on this forum rather helpful!
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-16-2010, 10:15 PM
Excellent! thanks for the tips all...