Lt. Commander
# 11
10-18-2010, 06:07 AM
Torps do need a boost. Not much of one but it is needed. I think they do need to introduce a rapid salvo of some kind (high yield just isn't it).

Even a HY3 fully buffed will not remove a shield facing. More likely it's the cannons, or dual beams that did it long before.

I think it more lays with the torps themselves though than the powers. Photons are worthless. Utterly worthless. (I have several ships which can fire them often, and frankly even in a 2x high yield build they suck) They just don't do enough damage to be worth anything.

Either the torp damage needs to be raised, or the ratio they hit and damage shields with needs to be changed. You can see this poor relationship the most with Transphasic and Photon as they deal so little damage. (Transphasic torps will deal as much damage to a hull through shields as a quantum will,
Honestly they do great against a hull, but not so great vs shields and I think this is where most of the problem is. A beam overload is a far more attractive choice for most gamers than a high yield 3 is. (Which is by far the least efficient torp skill..... Torp spread is so poor I just deny it's existence) Because it's a gauranteed Shield Be Gone, as well as Hull Melter. The problem is with torps is your opponent can probably at least manage to get a magical Sliver of a shield up to mitigate pretty much all the damage from a torpshot.

Where is if that had been say a BO3? you just probably melted his hull anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-18-2010, 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanneArac
No, you're saying they'd be as devastatnig as cannons currently /are/, except with a huge disability against shields and a slightly wider arc.

Even if a ship were firing the hypothetical 1 quantum torpedo a second, any ship with any kind of shield healing would hold up to that indefinitely. The way things are now, torpedoes are simply not a threat on their own.
I elaborated a bit more on my reasoning if you'd care to respond to it. Also, I wasn't talking about torpedoes working alone. I assume that they'd be used in concert with other weapons, as is the norm.

You make a good point about 1k damage per second being easily mitigated. But I'm assuming an attacker will use energy weapons to kill the shields at the same time. And like I said, I personally have no trouble holding a target in my forward arc for 10 seconds or more.
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-18-2010, 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavairo
Either the torp damage needs to be raised, or the ratio they hit and damage shields with needs to be changed. You can see this poor relationship the most with Transphasic and Photon as they deal so little damage. (Transphasic torps will deal as much damage to a hull through shields as a quantum will, same with Chroniton)

Honestly they do great against a hull, but not so great vs shields and I think this is where most of the problem is. A beam overload is a far more attractive choice for most gamers than a high yield 3 is. (Which is by far the least efficient torp skill..... Torp spread is so poor I just deny it's existence) Because it's a gauranteed Shield Be Gone, as well as Hull Melter. The problem is with torps is your opponent can probably at least manage to get a magical Sliver of a shield up to mitigate pretty much all the damage from a torpshot.

Where is if that had been say a BO3? you just probably melted his hull anyway.
What they could do is simply add a torpedo power like HY that does full damage to shields but barely any damage to hull. Call it "Torpedo target: shields" so the torpedo hits and devastates shields for full damage, but does 10% of its normal damage on bare hull. Give it an instant activation and 30 second cooldown and have it fire the same number of torps that high yield does.
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-18-2010, 06:23 AM
the problem with that power, is Transphasic would become even more worthless.

I think it really lies in the ratio of damage to shields, as it presently stands when you fire a torp at a shield you might as well have not even fired the weapon, even on a high yield 3 quantum (The torp which is about the -only- time hy3 is worth anything on in terms of damage to a shield.... and even then it only minorly damages the shield, vs say one of my scatter volley bursts)

It is worth thinking about though, as it stands beam overload is pretty much the most efficient hull melter because of the naughty things it does to both shields and hull in one strike.
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-18-2010, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavairo
the problem with that power, is Transphasic would become even more worthless.
Unless that power made transphasic bypass shields completely, sort of like a special boost. The same way high yield creates a single large plasma torpedo instead of a bunch of small ones.
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-18-2010, 06:29 AM
Hmm, Torpedos could use some love. I'm skilled on quantum and photon torpedos and on phasers as well. Funny fact: the DPS done by quantums and photons isn't much higher than the DPS done by phaser arrays. And since torpedoes tend to miss a lot more often than beam weapons, and their damage nearly get nullified by shields, they're not as powerful as they could be.

I'd like to see higher base damage and maybe additional skills, especially up to Lt. Cmdr. so any ship-class will gain an advantage.

Besides that, I don't think torpedos are worthless like other users wrote. You DO have to take down shields with your beam weapons. Giving torps too much punch against shields would "nerf" beam weapons. I love how they work right now and I never had any problems in taking out shields and dealing a lot of damage with my torpedoes even with HYI. Funny ... none of my tactical BOs have HYII - and HYIII isn't possible for me to get since my Captain isn't a tactical officer.
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-18-2010, 06:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis View Post
Unless that power made transphasic bypass shields completely, sort of like a special boost. The same way high yield creates a single large plasma torpedo instead of a bunch of small ones.
Now I could get behind that. As it would make Transphasic worth a damn.

You sir have my endorsement.
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-18-2010, 07:23 AM
Or reduce the global cooldown of the torps, that will up their usefullness as well.
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-18-2010, 07:30 AM
I think about the only thing in regards to torpedoes that needs work is Torpedo Spread and Transphasic Torpedoes. Both are rather ineffective.

Buff Transphasic firing speed to that of quantum torpedoes and increase the bleedthrough to a total of 50 % or so.
Torpedo Spread should deal damage to all shield facings at least (but only once to hull). Failing that, it could raise the damage inflicted against shields in general.
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-18-2010, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I think about the only thing in regards to torpedoes that needs work is Torpedo Spread and Transphasic Torpedoes. Both are rather ineffective.

Buff Transphasic firing speed to that of quantum torpedoes and increase the bleedthrough to a total of 50 % or so.
Torpedo Spread should deal damage to all shield facings at least (but only once to hull). Failing that, it could raise the damage inflicted against shields in general.
Actually, I'd like to see "torpedo" spread doing LESS damage per torpedo against targets. But ALL torpedoes should do damage to it and not just a single one like it is now. In that case, torpedo spread may do equal damage like high yield - but with splash-damage.