Lt. Commander
So, I was thinking... what if we did the following:
  1. Just like in the OP, each "crew-member" has a view of the same ship piloted by the Captain.

2. The Captain is the only one who commands Bridge Officers, i.e. activates BO abilities.

3. Ships that are populated by players who are "crew-members" cannot join an instance with "normal" ships, so the game offers either the current form of play, or a team composed of one ship with a crew of players.

4. Each player crew-member is in charge of several mini-games that activate automatically when the Captain uses BO abilities.

5. Each time a mini-game activates for a player crew-member, the player can dismiss the mini-game or play through it.

6. Mini-games that are failed, cause the cooldown on the BO ability that belongs to the mini-game to lengthen, while mini-games that the player won cause the cool-down to decrease!

7. Mini-games that are dismissed by the player, do nothing to the cooldown, thus allowing the player "crew-member" to prioritize which BO ability they would like to shorten the cooldown for.

8. Because multiplayer ships should have better performance than singleplayer ships, missions difficulty should be Elite, and whenever crew death occurs, there should be a random chance that player crew members will suffer injuries while on duty.
That's what I've got for now, any comments?
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-19-2010, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.
exactly. I do really want something like this, but I doubt it could be properly implemented.
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.

I've not seen any proposals for player crews that don't fail or become irrelevant without a reliable permagroup, involve splitting out existing gameplay tasks to an extremely boring extent, and fail to address the issue of the 'captain' role just realistically consisting of someone sitting on voice chat yelliing "more power to the shields!" I don't think many people would find player crews to meet their dream expectations even if the STO dev team were miracle workers.

Player crews belong in text sims and tabletop RPGs, which I participate in and face enough hassle in those mediums.
Hypothetically speaking, lets just say the Devs DID impliment a system like I described in the OP. If you think it would be boring, you wouldnt have to use it. It gives no advantage to those who choose to do so, so why would you care?
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Hypothetically speaking, lets just say the Devs DID impliment a system like I described in the OP. If you think it would be boring, you wouldnt have to use it. It gives no advantage to those who choose to do so, so why would you care?
it would take away significant time from improving other areas of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-19-2010, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClingingMars View Post
it would take away significant time from improving other areas of the game.
Really? Considering the fact that nothing new is being added, I dont see how. But feel free to explain it.
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Really? Considering the fact that nothing new is being added, I dont see how. But feel free to explain it.
Quote:
So to summarize, you invite people to join your group and you launch into space. Everyone see the captain's ship and can perform any ship action the captain grants them access to. When you beam down to a planet, everyone is together like a normal group of players doing a ground mission. This would allow players to explore together without having a bunch of ships and give crew members something to do.
I don't see how you could've posted these two posts, Nagus.
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-19-2010, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlewing View Post
Player crews in an MMO is a fundamentally flawed conept.

You'll probably realize that yorself if you try and design a complete system for it (not just the big picture but all those develish details that you glossed over in your original description). Remember that your system has to be able to:
1. handle flaky players who show up late or not at all but expect to be able to jump rite in when they do show up, and leave whenever they feal like it.
2. handle anti-social players who can't keep 4 friends around for long, who think it's funny to be the week link who brings everybody down, or can't tolerate anything less that a likely imagined level of perfection in others.
3. handle groups with vastly different amounts of free time (ie captain has a job and family but chief engineer is a middle-schooler on summer break).
4. it has to be a more engaging experience that the status quoe (otherwise no one will use it and it would be a waste of development time)

and the coup de gras
You can't give any competative advantage to the multi-crewed ships because the game has already been marketed as allowing every player to command their own ship and much of the playerbase would be angered if they percieved this had been changed.
Reading this post really takes me back to organizing Naggy raids back in EQ.

Probably why I haven't had the impetus to do it since.
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post

I don't see how you could've posted these two posts, Nagus.
Perhaps I wasnt clear. The idea I'm suggesting uses existing game mechanics; the view we already have, the powers we already have. All that would have to be "added" are the "permissions" for other people to use certain powers if they are in your crew/group. I'm not a programmer, so I dont know what all is involved in that. Perhaps someone who IS could enlighten us?
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Perhaps I wasnt clear. The idea I'm suggesting uses existing game mechanics; the view we already have, the powers we already have. All that would have to be "added" are the "permissions" for other people to use certain powers if they are in your crew/group. I'm not a programmer, so I don't know what all is involved in that. Perhaps someone who IS could enlighten us?
OK, here goes...

First, you'd have to synchronize the view, in as near Real-Time as is possible, so that the players can view the ship being piloted by the Captain of the ship who is also a player. Secondly, you'd have to synchronize the display of all players so that when a player who is permitted to execute a BO ability can trigger it and all other players on the ship can see the power trigger and all of the effects fire off like they should.

All this, is a bunch twisting existing network and graphic code, as well as perhaps creating some new pieces of network and graphic code.

Now, you'd also have to create a Permission Model probably an extension of the Team/Group Model in which the BO-ability/Player permissions matrix would reside. Next you'd need to create the view (again some graphic art and code) to manage the BO-ability/Player permissions matrix model, after which you'd have to add client and server code ensuring the BO-ability/Player permissions matrix is enforced when players attempt to activate BO-abilities they were authorized to execute.

Finally, you'd need to QA the whole thing, and then deal with all the possible bugs and other issues this new system would introduce.

Sorry... software is a complex thing.

EDIT :: By the way, not that my suggestion is simpler than yours, but what do you think about it?
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
Sorry... software is a complex thing.
Obvious statement is obvious. I never claimed otherwise, but that statement applies to every single thing that is coded into a game, not just this specific idea. As far as all the synchronization goes, how is that any different than the synchronization that already occurs in a PvP battle?