Lt. Commander
# 41
10-18-2010, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simale
No, that's not true. Not every other time. I've experienced at least a couple of times before this time when they haven't sent any kind of warnings. And it wasn't emergency maintenance either.
Every time I have been on during any sort of maintenance, where it be account, or server, or whatever, there are plenty of warnings.
Lt. Commander
# 42
10-19-2010, 01:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClingingMars View Post
Every time I have been on during any sort of maintenance, where it be account, or server, or whatever, there are plenty of warnings.
Most of the time i've experienced countdowns in STO for shut downs. My experience with MMO's suggests that countdowns are a GM/Server Admin tool that can be adjusted and initiated at any time they need to shut a server down. It's a matter of bringing up the tool and setting the amount of time they want the countdown to state.

That is why I stated what I did. It isn't like they don't have the tools or the ability to trigger the countdown whenever they want to or for whatever duration they need to. It's a matter that they chose not to. If their tool doesn't allow them to adjust the length of the countdown warnings (such as an semi-emergency shut down timer of 5 minutes) then they simply fail at coding their software to work at a Standard level for the Industry.

I've played a LOT of MMO's. Last count off the top of my head in excess of 20 odd MMO's and every one of them had the ability to trigger a 5 minute warning. If STO doesn't have that ability.. lol *fail*.
Lt. Commander
# 43
10-19-2010, 02:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonwindspirit
Most of the time i've experienced countdowns in STO for shut downs. My experience with MMO's suggests that countdowns are a GM/Server Admin tool that can be adjusted and initiated at any time they need to shut a server down. It's a matter of bringing up the tool and setting the amount of time they want the countdown to state.

That is why I stated what I did. It isn't like they don't have the tools or the ability to trigger the countdown whenever they want to or for whatever duration they need to. It's a matter that they chose not to. If their tool doesn't allow them to adjust the length of the countdown warnings (such as an semi-emergency shut down timer of 5 minutes) then they simply fail at coding their software to work at a Standard level for the Industry.

I've played a LOT of MMO's. Last count off the top of my head in excess of 20 odd MMO's and every one of them had the ability to trigger a 5 minute warning. If STO doesn't have that ability.. lol *fail*.
Hold on heh. You've played MMO's. Remember that I know for a solid fact that not all server softwares used by different companies have a timer with a shutdown including length of choice before triggered. Quite a few I know of do 30 seconds, 10 minutes, 30 minutes and 1 hour, but a lot don't and require an Administrative count down done by hand.

It's not a software issue, it's a having someone do the announcement issue. REGARDLESS of "Standard level for the industry" or not, hasn't this debate gone on long enough? If they didn't do it (which has happened on rare occasions) well piddle sticks. I'm sure by now stormshade, destra or the likes has read this post and they'll make sure it's done properly later on ^^
Lt. Commander
# 44
10-19-2010, 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askray View Post
Hold on heh. You've played MMO's. Remember that I know for a solid fact that not all server softwares used by different companies have a timer with a shutdown including length of choice before triggered. Quite a few I know of do 30 seconds, 10 minutes, 30 minutes and 1 hour, but a lot don't and require an Administrative count down done by hand.

It's not a software issue, it's a having someone do the announcement issue. REGARDLESS of "Standard level for the industry" or not, hasn't this debate gone on long enough? If they didn't do it (which has happened on rare occasions) well piddle sticks. I'm sure by now stormshade, destra or the likes has read this post and they'll make sure it's done properly later on ^^
Due to the policy of a company I will neither confirm or deny exists, nor confirm or deny that I am or have been an employee of, if I were to reveal my true depth of experience in the MMO Industry I would be forced to eject you from an escape hatch into deep space where your blood would quickly boil, your eyes would explode out of your head and your screams would not be heard.

So how about them Klingons huh?
Lt. Commander
# 45
10-19-2010, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Due to the policy of a company I will neither confirm or deny exists, nor confirm or deny that I am or have been an employee of, if I were to reveal my true depth of experience in the MMO Industry I would be forced to eject you from an escape hatch into deep space where your blood would quickly boil, your eyes would explode out of your head and your screams would not be heard.

So how about them Klingons huh?
I seriously doubt all of this.
Lt. Commander
# 46
10-19-2010, 11:58 PM
Quote:
I seriously doubt all of this.
Grinz. It was a joke. I've never been more than a Voluntary Mod for an MMO (forum). I do have a friend that was a GM for Everquest though. lol.
Lt. Commander
# 47
10-20-2010, 12:03 AM
Quote:
Grinz. It was a joke. I've never been more than a Voluntary Mod for an MMO (forum). I do have a friend that was a GM for Everquest though. lol.
YES! I do have the ability to detect some jokes on forums after all. VICTORY IS MINE.
Lt. Commander
# 48
10-20-2010, 12:20 AM
Quote:
YES! I do have the ability to detect some jokes on forums after all. VICTORY IS MINE.
Arghhhh I haz been Defeated!
Lt. Commander
# 49
10-20-2010, 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardalpha2clearance View Post
The new warp FX need top be rolled back also!!!!!! It looks choppy and sounds like a trans warp failure!!!!!

The old ones were much better!!!
No, the old ones weren't better. They don't support wing animations well.
Lt. Commander
# 50
10-20-2010, 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
No, the old ones weren't better. They don't support wing animations well.
I like the wing animations...finally some love for the KDF ships in animations...lol. Now, if they could do something to make my Orion BO's have some pretty trashy voices....lol...