Lt. Commander
# 41
10-19-2010, 08:25 PM
ugh I never even saw a flashing pannel. . .I thought it was broken >.< not happy. . .but I'm not complaining about the console, I'm happy with that now that I know. I'm not happy that I was so clueless Off to beat myself with the agony sticks.

~D
Lt. Commander
# 42
10-20-2010, 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salami_Inferno
We're scheduling FX reviews, bit by bit, to address fx we feel need to be updated. Our goal is to continue to improve them over time to improve the visuals of the game.
More subtility is appreciated. It should be visible that something is happening, but not everything has to explode in colors and bright lights.
Lt. Commander
# 43
10-20-2010, 02:05 AM
i prefer the old way where the whole thing glows that way it is easier to see.
Lt. Commander
# 44
10-20-2010, 02:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardalpha2clearance View Post
i prefer the old way where the whole thing glows that way it is easier to see.
true until I realized that the tricorder points you in the direction of the consoles.
Lt. Commander
# 45
10-20-2010, 06:43 AM
Quote:
I'm glad most everyone likes the new change to consoles! Our plan was to put it out there and see what you thought, and if it went well we'd update all of the consoles over time. It looks like it's positive, so we'll try and work it in that direction.

In response to evasive maneuvers, the goal was to make it look a little more "organic", like your ship was being overcharged. It may be coming off as too subtle, so we might juice it up a little to make it more visible.
100% go on revamp of the consoles

no need to change evasive maneuvers, people just need to understand the change.
i am all for "more realistic spaceship look" as opposed to "blue and green and pink icons popping up out of nowhere to indicate mmo-stuff"...
evasive maneuvers is perfect as it is, people just need to understand the change, they still expect blue rings to pop up ;P
Lt. Commander
# 46
10-20-2010, 06:45 AM
Quote:
We're scheduling FX reviews, bit by bit, to address fx we feel need to be updated. Our goal is to continue to improve them over time to improve the visuals of the game.
Emergency Power to Engines is almost good as it is... only those yellow icons popping up inside the Warp necelles are overkill.
Lt. Commander
# 47
10-20-2010, 07:00 AM
When I was playing Skirmish & saw the new flashing console displays, I thought cool a lot better than the old way. But when it came to find the Medkit, that took me a few times to find it, even with the console on the bridge. Wish I know before playing Skirmish about the change, anyway nice idea & thanks Cryptic.

But if some players don't like the new change, here are a few ways that may help that problem out.

1) To find things like the Medkit/ bridge console is to have the flashing(glow) brighter than normal, then the closer you get to the item/console the flashing(glow) get's dimmer down to normal flashing(glow) once your standing in front of it. Even if your tricorder points you in the direction of the console/item works or not.

2) Is to have the tricorder work in all ground missions(or depending on what setting your difficulty slider is. Doesn't work for Normal, but yes for advanced/elite). So when a player uses their tricorder, have different colors for each things. Example blue for console/ items (like the Medkit) & green if it's a scan item(for that scan game thingy). This way if a console(or items like the Medkit) & scan item are in the same room, you know which is what. And red if there are nothing(much like it is way).

3) Depending now what setting a player has their difficulty slider, that can change how the flashing console displays are seen. Example, Normal: full flashing console displays. Advanced: half flashing console displays. And Elite: the new way of flashing console displays.
Lt. Commander
# 48
10-20-2010, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT_aTonic View Post
And theres just a little bit of Impulse flair when hitting evasive maneuvers now instead of the blue rings
Is it just me, or does "evasive manuevers" not increse speed as much as before the patch?

I like the new grenade throw though, lol
Lt. Commander
# 49
10-20-2010, 08:20 AM
I like the new consoles VERY much. I had no problem finding it, because after the fight I stood directly in front of it and saw the new effect immediately. This should really be the new standard, since I always felt like a stupid kid in the levels with all the flashing stuff telling me what to do. People need to have to look for stuff. Don't make it too easy them. One has to work for success and I for one love a good challenge, even small ones like looking for a console.

Easiest approach: Map markers. We have red markers for enemies, little orange dots for map transitions, blue/orange dots for friendly NPCs and players, white and green dots for team members. Why not make a marker for interactive objects? A yellow triangle or something like that. Or you could just use the existing white circles and place them around a console on the map. No need for even more ambient sounds.

The players should use the map more often (because I often see stupid questions in zone chat, which could be solved immediately by using the map) and this would help.
Lt. Commander
# 50
10-20-2010, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiuz
[..]
Easiest approach: Map markers. We have red markers for enemies, little orange dots for map transitions, blue/orange dots for friendly NPCs and players, white and green dots for team members. Why not make a marker for interactive objects? A yellow triangle or something like that. Or you could just use the existing white circles and place them around a console on the map. No need for even more ambient sounds.

The players should use the map more often (because I often see stupid questions in zone chat, which could be solved immediately by using the map) and this would help.

I concur. I find the current map system (use those words loosely) seriously lacking. Nonetheless having interactive items on it would be a nice step in the right direction to be sure.