Lt. Commander
# 41
10-20-2010, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanharn View Post
Once more ClingingMars makes a comment that makes no sense and no one agrees with him.
right...nobody has posted in the Engineering Reports...they don't exist...keep living in that fantasy world buddy.
Lt. Commander
# 42
10-20-2010, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
I'm still working on it, but to be honest, you're the only one who even responded to what I wrote, and judging by the response I got at home when I ran the basics of my idea with my wife, I don't know if it's at all worth it anyway.

I'll be coming back to this idea, perhaps in this thread or I'll make a new dedicated thread.
To be fair my questions were aimed at discouraging the idea and others who think it's as easy as the OP and your variation make it look. Don't get me wrong if you can actually solve all the problems inherent in the concept I think you should definately sugest it (or possibly start your own MMO as a truly good implomentation of a multi-player ship system would be a rather signifigant acomplishment), but my experience with game design has led me to conclude that player cooperation is one of the trickiest areas in MMO design, and frankly the best solution for STO given today's genra expectations and technology is to take the one-player-one-ship approach that cryptioc has.
Lt. Commander
# 43
10-20-2010, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlewing View Post
To be fair my questions were aimed at discouraging the idea and others who think it's as easy as the OP and your variation make it look. Don't get me wrong if you can actually solve all the problems inherent in the concept I think you should definately sugest it (or possibly start your own MMO as a truly good implomentation of a multi-player ship system would be a rather signifigant acomplishment), but my experience with game design has led me to conclude that player cooperation is one of the trickiest areas in MMO design, and frankly the best solution for STO given today's genra expectations and technology is to take the one-player-one-ship approach that cryptioc has.
The design got Perpetual in a state of "perpetual" game purgatory for STO...I really do want this feature, but at the same time I don't think it could be done right unless the game was designed around it...Jump to Lightspeed introduced a whole NEW place to play in SWG...it wasn't a revamp of a system where everyone got their own ship.
Lt. Commander
# 44
10-20-2010, 09:39 AM
Quote:
To be fair my questions were aimed at discouraging the idea and others who think it's as easy as the OP and your variation make it look.
As a software professional, I know these questions need to be asked and resolved and I didn't view them as discouragements.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong if you can actually solve all the problems inherent in the concept I think you should definitely suggest it (or possibly start your own MMO as a truly good implementation of a multi-player ship system would be a rather significant accomplishment), but my experience with game design has led me to conclude that player cooperation is one of the trickiest areas in MMO design, and frankly the best solution for STO given today's genre expectations and technology is to take the one-player-one-ship approach that Cryptic has.
I've been long enough in the software business to see what happens when clients are allowed to dictate development...

Anyway, about the concept of a multi-player ship system, I think we'd better dedicate another thread for its detailed design.
Lt. Commander
# 45
10-20-2010, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
I've been long enough in the software business to see what happens when clients are allowed to dictate development...
and sometimes, when developers THINK they are catering to clients...looking at you SOE
Lt. Commander
# 46
10-20-2010, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClingingMars View Post
and sometimes, when developers THINK they are catering to clients...looking at you SOE
Which is why we have business analysts, pre and post sale engineers and other people who are supposed to help, guide and direct the customer experience with the software the company is developing. In other words, developing software is an effort to be shared by both developer and consumer, and I think dStahl and the dev team are definitely doing their part in this regard, especially considering how fragmented the client-base is in its wants and needs.

Lt. Commander
# 47
10-20-2010, 11:36 AM
I'm sure theres an even larger audiance that's glad player crews weren't implemented.

Using vague terms to push an arguement isn't a great way to get your way. I'm glad there aren't player crews, and i hope to god there never will be.
Lt. Commander
# 48
10-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilier210 View Post
I'm glad there aren't player crews, and i hope to god there never will be.
I too wasn't pleased with the rumored designs of player crews (Perpetual). My wife however isn't in love with the idea of being a Captain and player-crews could give her a gameplay experience she'd like more, so I've been contemplating this concept for several days already. I can't even say that I'd ever want to be anything but a ship's Captain, but I definitely can't dismiss the idea entirely.
Lt. Commander
# 49
10-20-2010, 12:17 PM
I have seen gameplay appropriate and indeed functional multi-crew positions in Planetside, a ground based ( shooter ) MMO. It's not an impossible concept, but you need functionality and ease of access above all. And a motivation to work as a team, preferably rooted in the external framework, if at all possible. It is not a hopeless dream, by all means, just a bit of a bumpy ride getting there.

---
Lt. Commander
# 50
10-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClingingMars View Post
He seems to imply that dstahl is doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to make the game better. Guess that engineering report I just read doesn't really exist, eh?
Exactly where did I imply that? Answer: I didnt. Sorry, but putting words in other people's mouth doesnt help your argument, just makes it nonsense.