Lt. Commander
# 31
10-18-2010, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoa-jin View Post
Naw, Im saying each tube mounted in place of an energy weapon. 4 fore tubes means one can have a HYT III similar disharge of torps, but because of the reduction(even removal of energy weapons all together), you could have the HYT III like attack, but without the typical addition of energy weapon discharges that can be fired with it.

So you get to release 4 torps in rapid order, but unlike the single tube firing HYT III, you dont have additional energy weapons firing with it to increase your DPS.
Ah, i see. That'd be cool. maybe the torp skill could be used to decrese recharge time, and be moved somewhere else in the skill tree. I think they said they're looking into a skill tree revamp.
Lt. Commander
# 32
10-18-2010, 09:58 PM
indeed if the game was set up accurately, beams would be great vs shields, and would reflect off the hull half the time do to the special armor.

cannons would be great vs shields, and would bite into the armor a little better then beams but still wouldnt be the hull killer

torps would get stopped or slowed down by the shields, doing little damage, but when theres no shield in the way they slam into the hull and blow holes in it, sometimes maybe even penetrating low armor areas and detonating inside the ship doing devastating damage.
Lt. Commander
# 33
10-18-2010, 09:59 PM
on a tangent thought

tacticle captain power, torpedo: shield negetaion, allows all torpedoes fired for the next 30 seconds to bypass shields and fully damage the hull, does not effect high yield or spread shots.
Lt. Commander
# 34
10-19-2010, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redheadguy
I'm not saying who is right or wrong on this... However I thought that the way the game works right now, energy weapons are used to remove a facing shield, THEN torpedos are used on a bar hull.

The two weapon types are not supposed to be equal in all things, but usefull for different things.

I'm not trying to flame anyone. I just thought that's the way the game was supposed to work is all.
Yes, but the point everyone /else/ is making is that torps /don't/ excel against bare hull. Energy weapons still provide greater DPS, which means the only advantage torpedos have is that the damage is done in a big, instant spike (and this might crit for even higher damage).

In order for torpedos to be made worthwhile, they either need to do /more/ damage versus bare hull, or energy weapons need to take a damage hit versus the same (even if this were as little as a 20% reduction in damage).
Lt. Commander
# 35
10-19-2010, 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhansWrath
on a tangent thought

tacticle captain power, torpedo: shield negation, allows all torpedoes fired for the next 30 seconds to bypass shields and fully damage the hull, does not effect high yield or spread shots.
thats a bit over kill, if it was a power that could be used, it would have to negate the ability to use any high yield torpedo power.

science ships do not have high hull HP, 30 seconds of shield negation would pretty much mean the end of science ships in PvP ( what few stupid players like myself still attempt it :p )
Lt. Commander
# 36
10-19-2010, 07:58 PM
well high yield still would have a point... I"ve never ever ever seen a plasma or quantum (the two big boys) hit for more than 10k on a natural hit to hull.

It takes high yield to get the big numbers.

I think it needs to be a boff power myself. And maybe just raise the bleed through. (and for Transphasics they well phase right on through when the power is on)
Lt. Commander
# 37
10-20-2010, 02:24 PM
Torpedoes should do more damage...but we need to see a significant increase in the cool downs. Torpedoes need to be set up so that we save them for the Knock Out blow...tremendous damage that does in one hit on the hull what a full salvo of energy weapons coul dnever achieve in one cycle. But the cool downs need to be so high that firing the torp before getting exposed hull will likly prevent you from getting another chance to use them for sometime once you do get the shield arc down.

Ideally, the cool down would be such one could fire the single torp against a fresh target to provide increased Burst for the alpha strike, but the torps reduced effectivness against the shields would ideally keep the torp from showing its full potential. Perhaps only a HYT II or III would really give the torps themselves some viable significance/contribution to dropping a shield arc...but now the long cool down for torps enters in...it'll be awhile before you can use the torps again and now the opportunity to put a torp against bare hull is lost for sometime.

Lastly, I still believe that each ship should have a standard load out of torpedo tubes as an innate module,, with only extra tubes taking up weapon slots.