Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
Gentlemen (Devs),

I first like to say I appreciate the work you developers have done to improve the quality of the game. I have patiently awaited each & every new concept you have brought to the game, but with that said ( & I mean it), I do have to bring an issue to your attention that I feel is a grave error on your part.
Bringing the Excelior class ship to the game was a truely necessary addition that needs to be done, but with its addition, you have knocked the teeth out of the Sovereign class battleship. Yes, I know you have the Sovereign classified as an Assault Cruiser, but the Sovereign class is a battleship, and should carry more bite than the Excelior (including the T5 Excelior). I feel it's time for a refit of the Sovereign back to the Command Battleship status that it should be. Remember, the Sovereign class is the flagship of the Federation, it should be more tactical than the Excelior, if by no other argument than its launch was many years AFTER the Excelior. My suggestion for the refit is to at least give it equal consoles & bridge officer stations that the T5 Excelior has. Give it an additional front weapon slot that can equip a single Dual Heavy Cannon that can give it more of its bite back. It should have a stronger hull than the T5 Excelior & what would be really cool is to actually have the DHC in the graphics of the ship skin. It should have the same customization features as the current Sovereign, but also, not be available until higher rank levels (maybe Fleet Admiral rank if you have plans for this rank). I wouldn't mind if you decided to add it as a C-store item myself, as long as it had the HDC 5th weapon slot. The Sovereign has many fans, probabily as many if not more than the Galaxy class & you have really catered to the Galaxy fan base. So please, give us fans of the Sovereign something to be proud to fly & fight in. Due to the release of the T5 Excelior, I have been forced to park my Sovereign for the additional tactical features in the T5, and though the Excelior class is a very nice ship to fly at Commander & Captain levels ( since I refuse to fly the Galaxy due to its turn rate), with the current structure of the cruiser class, I end up flying the Excelior for all the ranks from Commander up to Vice Admiral.

Thank you for your time in reading this.
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Actually, the Sovereign-class is canonically a "Type 2 Explorer".

Which is why she was put on diplomatic missions instead of fighting in the Dominion War.

This is Starfleet. Not the Terran Empire.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-22-2010, 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias

Which is why she was put on diplomatic missions instead of fighting in the Dominion War.

This is Starfleet. Not the Terran Empire.
You know, for a "type 2 Explorer" she manages quite well as the federations flag ship and a brutal advisory in combat. If I'm not mistaken, she is also one of the only classes to have a Quantum torpedo tube, some of the most sophisticated weapon systems, and a design that is far more suited to engagements and combat then even the more luxurious galaxy class.

I guess the federation loves to negotiate like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oKwg6W05MU

I am surprised that they didn't field more sovereigns to the battle field, as they were far more powerful then a standard Galaxy class. Thought both had the same number of phaser arrays at first the Sovereign was later given an extra four. However the Galaxies only had two photon tubes, while the Sovereign had 1 Quantum, and 3 photon fore and 6 photon aft tubes to fire from.

I have the feeling that the reason they never showed up in fleet battles was becasue they didn't have the access to the models. DS9 did have a transition from physical models to CGI. also of note it was Santa Barbra Studios who did the CGI for the Sovereign and ILM who did the CGI work DS9.

That is what I found though.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-23-2010, 02:06 AM
My suggestion: Add one new Ensign level Tactical Power, or reduce the level of two Lt. level tactical powers (Cannon Rapid Fire for the Defiant-R, Attack Pattern Delta for the Sovereign). Done.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-23-2010, 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota2063 View Post
You know, for a "type 2 Explorer" she manages quite well as the federations flag ship and a brutal advisory in combat.
Very true - though most Starfleet ships are equally well equipped for exploration and defense, I suppose the Sovereign might pack an extra punch for being even more independent, thus able to hold her own even when out of range of any fleet support (such as in deep space exploration).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota2063 View Post
I am surprised that they didn't field more sovereigns to the battle field, as they were far more powerful then a standard Galaxy class.
That had surprised me as well. I mean, sure, keeping the Sovereign away because she's meant for exploration is a good excuse - but didn't the Galaxy fulfill the same role? Weird.
Or it was because the Galaxy was deemed "replacable" as Starfleet may have planned to have a new line of Sovereigns succeed them, mhmm. But a mere 25 years would surely be too short for this.

And I totally knew it was that video even before clicking it. Had to be.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-23-2010, 06:29 AM
The reasons for the Sovereign not being used extensively in the Dominion War are simple. It was a new class of ship, few were around, and the few that were around were too valuable to put on the front line in mass engagements. That isn't to say that none were used; I'm sure some were, because they are powerful ships. From a production standpoint it was most likely for the simple fact that the older models were easier to incorporate into scenes and less "necessary", so blowing a few up wasn't a bad thing.

Another reason is not as obvious. The Breen were able to penetrate deep into Federation space. Dominion forces as well, the Borg still presented a threat, etc. The defense of Earth seen in First Contact showed predominately new vessels, top of the line and heavily armed. Do you think that is a coincidence? You want your weaker, smaller ships with less punch together, and a lone vessel needed to be tough and have enough punch to at least put up a respectable fight. The Sovereign fulfilled both of these requirements. The Enterprise in particular was captained by Picard, one of the more valuable line officers around for more than simply his command and combat experience but his diplomatic prowess.

That's why the Enterprise was assigned to diplomatic duty during the war. It was a combination of factors. The cost of the vessel in resources (during a time of intense conflict), the capabilities of said vessel, and the expertise and training of the crew.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-23-2010, 07:11 AM
The reason that the sovereign was not used during the dominon war was because in reality the producers only wanted it to appear in the movies. They did not want it to be shown anywhere else.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-23-2010, 07:54 AM
Not required, the Assault Cruiser is already a great ship, and still superior to the Excelsior-R. Anybody who thinks it's inferior desperately needs to L2P.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-23-2010, 07:55 AM
Quote:
I wonder where that information is from.

Quote:
That had surprised me as well. I mean, sure, keeping the Sovereign away because she's meant for exploration is a good excuse - but didn't the Galaxy fulfill the same role? Weird.
I never heard that the Sovereign was more capable to do exploration missions than a Galaxy.
As far as we know the Sovereign is more a Battleship with exploration capabilities, while a Galaxy is more a Explorer with Battle Capabilities... i hope you get my point.
What i wanted to say is, that there was place for both ships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevanIRL View Post
The reason that the sovereign was not used during the dominon war was because in reality the producers only wanted it to appear in the movies. They did not want it to be shown anywhere else.
Thats exactly what i thought.

On topic: Yes i think too, that the Sovereign should get some kind of improvement to make it superior to the T5 Excelsior.
Maybe one more Tactical Console and the tactical Ensign Station should be replaced with a Lieutenant Station.
But lets not forget that the Sovereign is nearly 40 Years old. (which is still 80 years newer than the Excel.)

By the Way, i think that the Star Cruiser, should get at least one more tactical Console and a Ensign Tactical Station more too.
I know the Sovereign is supposed to be more offensive, but i think that the Star Cruiser Classes should get more Offensive Capabilities too. Because it looks damn Cool.
(I think it is one of the very few Designs Cryptic did rudimental in the right way.)

I hope erverybody can read my english.

Thank you for reading.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-23-2010, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yreodred
I wonder where that information is from.
According to Memory Alpha, it's from the official ship poster that was released with the start of First Contact.

Makes sense, anyways, seeing that all Enterprises so far had a similar role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yreodred
As far as we know the Sovereign is more a Battleship with exploration capabilities, while a Galaxy is more a Explorer with Battle Capabilities... i hope you get my point.
What i wanted to say is, that there was place for both ships.
I get your meaning, but I don't see why the Federation should give Picard a ship that is geared for a different mission than his old one, and then send him on the same missions. And making the flagship of the Federation a "battleship" would surely be a PR disaster for diplomatic relations.

I think the idea that the Sovereign was built for war simply stems from the way she was used in some soft canon computer games such as SFC, Armada or STO - and of course because her armaments were appropriately impressive for such a large and modern ship.
And lastly, of course it's probably also a bit of wishful thinking. I maintain that Starfleet's primary purpose is exploration (emphasized by its political issues with the Defiant), hence my general stance regarding Starfleet battleships or carriers - but naturally there'll always be people who just think this stuff is "cool", and so we end up with vastly different interpretations of canon. Matter of taste/opinion.

The Sovereign is certainly stronger than its predecessors - but no more than the 1701-D was to its predecessors. It's an ongoing upgrade without a change of focus, at least imo.

And your English is perfect, don't worry.

PS: I also agree that the Sovereign should feel stronger than the Excel, simply because the latter is an older design. I dislike the idea of having old ships perform as good as new ones (and so I dread the idea of a T5-Connie or even NX).