Lt. Commander
Ok, so I did some ground combat today (was bored) and my tactical officer informed me that my ship was taking heavy fire from Reman forces but they had everything under control (he said while buckets of wires fell from the ceilings and red shirts flew through the air).

At the point it dawned on me. My crew, who I never had any faith in, was taking out a reman armada and a 2 lynch pins to my tank were standing next to me mining for lint in their ears whilst staring blankly off into space. In a rather out of character (for me) in character (for my captain) moment I feared for my ship's safety. I wouldn't trust my first officer with a toaster, let along an entire star ship and yet like a teen out for his first drive he assured me everything was fine just before he put my car into 3rd gear and backed into the garage door.

At that point it hit me, wouldn't it be cool if, at some points during a ground mission you had the option to beam up to your ship to help fend off attackers or while on a space mission you could beam down to a station, perhaps to rescue surviver or activate a defense grid or something.

Basically, you have the option to turn a ground mission into a space mission and vice versa. This could add an extra level of depth but would also make missions more episodic.

Thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-22-2010, 05:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raso
At the point it dawned on me. My crew, who I never had any faith in, was taking out a reman armada and a 2 lynch pins to my tank were standing next to me mining for lint in their ears whilst staring blankly off into space. In a rather out of character (for me) in character (for my captain) moment I feared for my ship's safety. I wouldn't trust my first officer with a toaster, let along an entire star ship and yet like a teen out for his first drive he assured me everything was fine just before he put my car into 3rd gear and backed into the garage door.
Thoughts?

ROFL.. Having experience in the field of captains and them leaving people in charge of their ship, you're absolutely right. It would be a very rare instance indeed where the captain of the ship. (who is ultimately responsible no matter what happens to the ship) would end up just leaving his 2nd or 3rd in charge of the ship while he's off playing on an away team.

I like this idea, would be nice to be able to incorporate it somehow.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-22-2010, 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soko_99
ROFL.. Having experience in the field of captains and them leaving people in charge of their ship, you're absolutely right. It would be a very rare instance indeed where the captain of the ship. (who is ultimately responsible no matter what happens to the ship) would end up just leaving his 2nd or 3rd in charge of the ship while he's off playing on an away team.

I like this idea, would be nice to be able to incorporate it somehow.
What if we could control our BO's just like we control our captain now. Maybe we could leave our captain on the ship and take all BO's down instead of the captain everytime. I think it would be cool if we could jumo from character to character like that.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-22-2010, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislove View Post
What if we could control our BO's just like we control our captain now. Maybe we could leave our captain on the ship and take all BO's down instead of the captain everytime. I think it would be cool if we could jumo from character to character like that.
This I like. I really have a hard time believing the Captain (or an Admiral for that matter) would beam to a planet to look for carnivorous plants while the ship is being attacked by Starling raiders...

I would love to see a new mechanic introduced that allowed you to send all BOs on a ground mission while your Admiral or Captain stays with the ship. Then a hot key to toggle between the Officer leading the ground mission and the Admiral or Caption on the ship. Obviously there would be a loading screen while transitioning between the two, but that I could live with.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-22-2010, 07:28 AM
I'd like to see some combat on our ships, fending off a boarding party, during space combat....also would like to have a little interaction with my crew....right now they just ignore me when i try and strike up a conversation ....this includes MY first officer.....I am an admiral and demand the at least 1 crew member acknowledge me when i ask the how thier day is going!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-22-2010, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800lbGorilla
This I like. I really have a hard time believing the Captain (or an Admiral for that matter) would beam to a planet to look for carnivorous plants while the ship is being attacked by Starling raiders...

I would love to see a new mechanic introduced that allowed you to send all BOs on a ground mission while your Admiral or Captain stays with the ship. Then a hot key to toggle between the Officer leading the ground mission and the Admiral or Caption on the ship. Obviously there would be a loading screen while transitioning between the two, but that I could live with.

I've always subscribed to the old school concept that if you're gonna be in charge of a ship that you can not only kick the a$$es of everyone else on board but you must use your superior skills to lead the charge into combat and protect your crew by being the resident bad a$$ on the battle field. That's not to say you shouldn't know when to sacrifice your chief engineer to keep the ship's warp core from exploding when it's due, but you should be able and willing to make the same sacrifice if its more feasible.

And admiral who leads from the rear takes it in the.... well you get the idea.

Anyway, I've not problem leading away teams, but if I feel that my skills are needed on the ship more so than on the ground then I want to be where I'm needed most.