Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 71
10-23-2010, 05:36 PM
The way management of this game is going down the drain they would be better off switching to a Free 2 Play model and give subscribers say 500 free C-Points a month.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 72
10-23-2010, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
The way management of this game is going down the drain they would be better off switching to a Free 2 Play model and give subscribers say 500 free C-Points a month.
Why? Will that generate enough money to keep developing the game?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 73
10-23-2010, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilhippo View Post
Why? Will that generate enough money to keep developing the game?
it might, lotro's player base shot up 400% when they went ftp, i think i read somewhere with all the micro transactions they come out about even vs a subscription fee atm.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 74
10-24-2010, 12:47 AM
If they still see the need to play nickle and dime..they are not about to go free to play
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 75
10-24-2010, 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWRicheson View Post
True, but this is a ship skin not a new ship. The ship, which is little more than an assault cruiser from fed side, now allows Klingons five different ships to choose from at end game. This is more akin to having to buy the options for the Assault Cruiser.



Feds have a larger base of options. No one in this thread has put forth the argument that players of the Klingon faction should never be required to purchase items.



Please, characterizing a different viewpoint as "rage" isn't helpful to the discussion. It characterizes your opposition as being childish and unthinking, yet those making an opposing argument recognize such a tactic for being the inability to actually put forth an argument that it is.

I help fund the Klingon faction every month through my subscription fee and my purchase of C-Store items. If anyone thinks this item goes to a special Klingon fund then I believe they misapprehend the situation. The Klingon faction is meant to be a second viable faction, yet in reality the current state of Klingon gameplay is appropriate for an alpha or early beta of this rushed game. What is at issue here isn't the C Store but the fact that Klingon content is being released in a pay form when the faction remains woefully underdeveloped.



I definitely agree that the future is looking brighter than the present for the faction. I'll reserve praising the company for fleshing out the faction until after that has actually happened. Some new ships, even if it seems they are little more than repackaged Federation ships, are appreciated. However, this future addition in no way changes the fact that the Federation faction has many ship customization options available while the Klingon faction has very few.

Your argument is that if we do not purchase the Vorcha skin included here we will not receive additional Klingon content. I don't think that's at odds with the other arguments presented, however. I agree that if no one purchases it Cryptic may not add more. I do know, however, that if everyone does purchase it (and I suspect they will) then the company will continue to ask Klingon players for more money to update the faction to a status less than what the Federation had at launch. The income stream from game purchase, monthly subscription, and other C Store purchases should already be a reasonable compensation for continuing to develop the other faction.
I think that while any proposed development of the Klingon faction is needed and valued, the actual developed work should of a standard. Design aside, which is poor, this long awaited ship seems lazy... and then to charge for it seems wrong.

As a mainly Fed player, who has recently played through to Admiral, I'd be happy to see just the weekly episodes for Feds (for the time being) and my money contribute to a proper effort to develop the Klingons with free content/ships/missions to bring it on par with the Feds. If anything the Feds run the risk of being overdeveloped....

Its a game divided so almost any increase in the quality of one faction is likely to improve the gaming experience overall. And the KDF is where this effort is needed most.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 76
10-24-2010, 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondaddyd View Post
Design aside, which is poor, this long awaited ship seems lazy... and then to charge for it seems wrong.
I must disagree. I love the look of the new 'Tor'Kaht' and judging from the number I see flying around, so do a lot of people. Certain in my fleet the response has been overwhelmingly positive. Moreover to charge less than the price of a coffee for it does not seem excessive.

Quote:
Its a game divided so almost any increase in the quality of one faction is likely to improve the gaming experience overall. And the KDF is where this effort is needed most.
I certainly agree with that. Fortunately K side does not need the large number of levelling PvE quests the Feds have, we just need the rest filled in and the niggling annoyances removed like, to list just a few...

- Less choice of ships (which will soon change, thank goodness}

- We get 'lite' versions of Fed missions (Ambassador beams over to our ship in one of the Breen missions Fed side.... Klingons get a dialogue box in space. You can use a trick to rescue captives from the Breen ship on Fed side... Klingon side you cannot...)

- Our tricorders look like Fed ones rather than Klingon ones and more importantly, they do not work

- Fed ship scanners locate objectives, Klingon ship scanners do precisely nothing

- The Feds get 200 day outfits the Klingons get nada

- The Feds get male and female TOS outfits, the Klingons get male ones and eventually the females can wear the... male Klingon TOS outfits

- Feds have a wider range of away mission maps (but at least we Klingons get our exclusive triibble hunts and best of all, the glorious Combat Gardening Missions )

- Feds usually get three or more customisation options per ship... Klingons get at most two and often none whatsoever.

- Zero Klingon 'off-duty' outfits and to add insult to injury, the 'off-duty' slot which at least allowed a wider range of combinations than the 'normal' slots are now porked for many people Klingon side and do not work at all.

Mostly small things but in aggregate, very annoying

But...

Things like the Vor'cha, the new Vor'cha skin and the impending Orion, Gorn and Nausicaan ships are a big step in the right direction, and I for one do not give a damn if they charge, as long as we damn well get them.

Clearly Cryptic knows what they need to do.

They just need to actually do it
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 77
10-24-2010, 06:10 AM
I think the problem isnt the ship, at least for me. Its the fact that its just a copy of the T4 ship with a couple tweaks. Someone literally did a copy/paste on the visuals. Id say the word lazy fits. And yeah, many people will have the new skin...with so little choice Klings are lining up for some variety. And Cryptic knows that...so rather than give you a skin choice for free, like they give Feds, they opted to charge for it. You really think they didint know that the side lacking choice and variety would be eager to drop cash for some love? It was a classic Mad Men move.

Thats the real problem. Taking advantage of the situation is low class of them IMO. Now, had they given just 1 skin to customize for free there would be no problem. Had they done that they would have gone a long way to showing that they mean to treat the faction imbalance seriously. But nope...they did the same old thing...and players fell for it and are even saying "thanks" for being treated like second class PAYING players.

I agree that they have started to make things better and thats great. Id have no issues with this ship had they given equal choice to swap at least 1 skin like Feds have...then id be happy to buy a 3rd cool skin. But as it stands now--dont urinate on me and then expect me to pay for the shower.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 78 Seriously?
10-24-2010, 06:11 AM
I bought this design, but only to show support for future designs. I used a few pieces of the design to tweak my Vorcha, but using the whole thing? NOT LIKELY! It looks like a Ferengi ship with up armored attachments. Being the first one out of the gate I am a little disppointed, but I want to see what they do with others in (hopefully) near future.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 79
10-24-2010, 06:19 AM
Fair enough and I agree with you.

The design of the ship is subjective, I don't like the artistic direction Cryptic has taken with Startrek, my major bug bear is the overly bulked up Cruisers (Envoy, Majestic, Imperial and Noble) as I personally feel the Federation would go for a streamline look (with more surface detail - because CGI allowed for this in the TV programme).

But any increase in options for the KDF is a good thing and adds to the game experience, still think skins should be free (for Klingon ships where there aren't 3 skins) and actual ships should be charged.

Also, could be that there is less Klingon content because there is less source material to use.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 80
10-24-2010, 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondaddyd View Post
Also, could be that there is less Klingon content because there is less source material to use.
There is still a vast amount of unused Klingon canon content so I think you are being over-generous to Cryptic

The real reasons, I suspect, were (1) they had/have a finite amount of resources and understandably spent more of it doing Fed... they just over did that more than a tad (2) some very questionable early design decisions based on inconsistent management priorities during the development process
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:16 PM.