Lt. Commander
OK, so I got an efficient Saurian last night on one of my characters (who is an alien with efficient captain). I already had the Borg bridge officer. Both BO's are now in assigned stations. I understand the difference between "efficient" and "efficient captian" passive traits.

Maybe someone can explain something to me.

When I first added the borg, I saw no increase in my ship power settings. And again, now that I added the Saurian I see no increase (in either base or cap power) on any power bar.

So is it broken? Or are we to simply belive that the passives are there but we can't see them? And if so, how do we know that the efficient crew members must be in assigned stations to produce the bonuses?
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-24-2010, 08:37 PM
First keep in mind that Efficient traits function much like the efficient skill: they only effect power levels of less then 75, and they only show up when in a combat zone (so if you want to see the bonus zone into sol but don't go on to the base. just fly around in Sol space). The lower your power setting per category the more bonus points you are granted. A 25 in engines will get a bigger bonus then a 60 in shield will. As I said above, if you have a 75 or higher in any category, such as weapons, you won't see any bump at all.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-24-2010, 11:46 PM
Thanks for clearing that up. I tested it with a fleetmate and his Saurians as well.

At the lower powers, I see about one point per efficient crewman. Meaning you could squeeze in maybe five points for acouple unspec'ed power(s) if you had a FULL crew (sure makes the Efficient Engine seem like a great deal).

I never really put much thought into it, but it fits what you described. Nothing game-changing (no more than a tribble buff would be). Much overly-hyped and a bit disappointing, actually. At least it didn't cost me anything but some time. Sure wouldn't pay 20-45 million for a point of power. LOL @ 100-200 million for five points.

Thanks again
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-25-2010, 03:34 AM
Keep in mind they only raise power levels when you have skill points in the efficiency skills of the tree.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-25-2010, 05:44 AM
My Star Cruiser has an efficient Captain and a Liberated Borg. My combat power levels are 104/80/71/54. He has 9 ranks in efficient Aux, Shields, and Engines. Removing the Liberated subtracts 1 engine and 1 aux pt. Nothing else is changed. That's why in the last 2 weeks I've sold both of the efficient Saurian BOs that dropped on me. The 20 million from each was more useful then the BO.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-25-2010, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
My Star Cruiser has an efficient Captain and a Liberated Borg. My combat power levels are 104/80/71/54. He has 9 ranks in efficient Aux, Shields, and Engines. Removing the Liberated subtracts 1 engine and 1 aux pt. Nothing else is changed. That's why in the last 2 weeks I've sold both of the efficient Saurian BOs that dropped on me. The 20 million from each was more useful then the BO.

Efficiency is more efficient if you use 4-5 BOs with efficient engines
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-25-2010, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf-Three-Five-Nine
...Nothing game-changing (no more than a tribble buff would be). Much overly-hyped and a bit disappointing, actually. At least it didn't cost me anything but some time. Sure wouldn't pay 20-45 million for a point of power. LOL @ 100-200 million for five points...
The buff is small, as you say, on par with a Tribble Buff. It's a bit overrated, but when you're trying to squeeze out every little edge you can, it's another little thing to add. And when you get to End Game, you eventually run out of things to spend Energy Credits on anyway. Heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon_Picard
Keep in mind they only raise power levels when you have skill points in the efficiency skills of the tree.
Sorry, but this is 100% Not True. The buffs from Efficient Captain and Efficient BOs will add to your ship's power levels regardless of your rank or if you put 0 or 2700 XP into an Efficient skill. But the bonus is so small you won't see it on your power level since it only shows the rounded down amount. You will see it in your skill effects though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Data
Efficiency is more efficient if you use 4-5 BOs with efficient engines
True, but misleading. If you had 3-4 singles and a ten dollar bill you still have $13-14 dollars. It's not like your singles suddenly become $15 because you added the ten. The sum is not greater than the parts. Sure, the more Efficient BOs you have the better, and Efficient Engines do provide a flat +5 to Weapon, Shield, and Aux powers, but their buffs are independent and do not get "more efficient" if used together other than you you get More because you have More.

If you'd like to see/know more about Efficient BOs, Power Levels, etc. try out my Ship's Power Calculator and Guide linked in my signature.

In case you're curious, I have an Efficient Amazon Borg BO and two Efficient Saurians with my main Tac Captain (who is not Efficient). They give a +15 buff to Efficiency skills, and I like it very much. Every one of my eight characters (with or with out the Eff Captain Trait) happily use the Efficient Amazon Borg BO to good affect.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-25-2010, 11:32 AM
This power calculator is one of the most useful tools currently around - never ever respec without it

Great job, it's appreciated -

regards
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-25-2010, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
This power calculator is one of the most useful tools currently around - never ever respec without it

Great job, it's appreciated -

regards
Thanks FD, that's kind of you to say. I'd appreciate such thoughts posted in my thread to give it a bump, if you would