Lt. Commander
# 11
08-06-2010, 10:58 PM
Can't we all just get along? lol. It's a video game...
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miiru
The servers are in Boston somewhere, or near to it, IIRC. Not that I've been to the US, but my atlas says that's on the east coast.

Anyway, people tend to misunderstand the performance of their internet connection. You do not have a "1.5Mb connection", that's just the maximum speed your modem can do. Your connection is actually something slower than this, depending on a lot of complex factors, most notably how congested your ISP's network currently is. You also do not have the same kind of bandwidth to all parts of the world. Your ISPs peering arrangements are different and have different performance capabilities depending on where you are connecting to.

Also, the Cryptic patcher is far more sensitive to latency than maximum bandwidth, and Cryptic's network pipe reportedly never goes over about 2/3 of its capacity, at peak. It's not overloaded, except for a few days just after the season 2 release when they had issues with the new patching technology (which was something else entirely).
Perhaps, but when I just paused a download with steam maxing out my connection speed to 554 kb/sec... to then start the patch process and get a non constant speed of just 50-202 kb/sec, then it is ridiculus.

I just opened the port 7255 of my router, I am going to start all over: two hours and the thing is at 30% with just 253 mb received... are you kidding me? And if the Q9550 @ 3.4 ghz is having trouble uncompressing the files, I am Mickey Mouse and all are invited to join my club!

Seriously, I hope restarting solves the problem with the new router firewall settings
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrento View Post

I just opened the port 7255 of my router, I am going to start all over: two hours and the thing is at 30% with just 253 mb received... are you kidding me? And if the Q9550 @ 3.4 ghz is having trouble uncompressing the files, I am Mickey Mouse and all are invited to join my club!

Adjusting the router/firewally port forwarding did as much as praying to "god"... and I am not saying I don't believe, just that he or she doesn't respond or help...

I restarted the two Steam downloads and once again the whole bandwith is maxed out. Perhaps tomorrow morning the game will be patched. Problem is not only I am logging unused game hours, but this system use a ton of watts... not green, not one bit.

Ohh well.
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-07-2010, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrento View Post
two hours and the thing is at 30% with just 253 mb received... are you kidding me? And if the Q9550 @ 3.4 ghz is having trouble uncompressing the files, I am Mickey Mouse and all are invited to join my club!
Yeah, that'll be bad latency. It could be made somewhat less sensitive, but it's one of those things that only affects a small number of users, and it would require coderanger to not be doing something more important.
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-21-2010, 01:56 PM
i'm having like the extreme version of this problem... i only get around 10kB/s, wich would leave me at a patching time of around 2 days. Tried to activate proxy, but it will only show a error message that it can't connect to the proxy server. Tried ping and tracert on patchserver.crypticstudios.com and i'm only getting timeouts. Tried to completely deactivate all firewalls (dont really like that :-/), but did not help even slightly.
Just to say its not my general connection bandwidth: i downloaded the client from steam with an average rate of 6MB/s just before. Also i play lots of other MMOs and do not have the slightest problem with any of these.

Any more suggestions what i might try?

PS. as the launcher wouldn't even save previous downloaded parts of the patch i also cant load a little bit of it everyday... and i certainly cant let my PC run several days without a break since its kind of noisy and i'm sleeping in the same room...
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-21-2010, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokran
i'm having like the extreme version of this problem... i only get around 10kB/s, wich would leave me at a patching time of around 2 days. Tried to activate proxy, but it will only show a error message that it can't connect to the proxy server. Tried ping and tracert on patchserver.crypticstudios.com and i'm only getting timeouts. Tried to completely deactivate all firewalls (dont really like that :-/), but did not help even slightly.
Just to say its not my general connection bandwidth: i downloaded the client from steam with an average rate of 6MB/s just before. Also i play lots of other MMOs and do not have the slightest problem with any of these.

Any more suggestions what i might try?

PS. as the launcher wouldn't even save previous downloaded parts of the patch i also cant load a little bit of it everyday... and i certainly cant let my PC run several days without a break since its kind of noisy and i'm sleeping in the same room...
if your patching right now, they are having some trouble which is causing slow downloads. so best to to later. if you mean in general before today then im not sure what the problem is.
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-24-2010, 03:38 PM
Seriously. im on a 16 mb down connection and it's downloading like a snail. i just bought the game today but seriously......... is there a patch torrent out there?
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-24-2010, 07:33 PM
It took 3 hours to get to 55% then it restarted. At this rate I will burn a month of subscription pretty fast without playing at all.

Now I'm trying it via proxy.

I think I could walk to Boston (I'm in Oregon) get a disk & walk home before it's done downloading. What's wrong with the old "Download patch here" link on the start screen then we would have more control of it.

What's weird is when I was playing the demo it patched pretty fast.
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Di-Mar View Post
Im in the UK, and you are ruddy lucky! It's like... 70-100kbps here. :/ Are you sure? The UK lacks high-speed internet such as 50mb connection. May I ask where you live? South East.etc?
I've tried switching from proxy to proxy. Not much difference.

At my current speed, I'm getting about 10% per hour. To anybody else, try speeding up your internet by cancelling any un-necessary internet windows and downloads (apart from the patch obviously lol). Try not to cramp the bandwith.
Yes 50mb connection with virgin media not a lot of users near by and regualary patch in a few mins
aprox 4 Mb a sec in real terms I was watching the patch but I have yet to have a slow patch so I must be lucky :-)
Sorry i cant really help much other then that but i dont use a proxy and all my ports are open for STO.