Lt. Commander
# 11
10-25-2010, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis View Post
Can you explain the reasoning behind us getting to build our own starships when it's currently impossible to lose one except by scrapping it?
Nothing certain yet - but we've been taking a close look at PotBS's ship crafting/loss mechanics as a possibility for top tier ships in the future. It certainly comes up frequently in discussions.
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-25-2010, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Nothing certain yet - but we've been taking a close look at PotBS's ship crafting/loss mechanics as a possibility for top tier ships in the future. It certainly comes up frequently in discussions.
This could be problematic, more often than not I've had my ship destroyed due to the actions of others and/or those I team with getting into or causing trouble. Space Fleet Actions are very much open to griefing, especially since enemy ships don't seem to lose aggro anymore.
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-25-2010, 06:39 PM
I would be greatly unhappy with any system that could cause me to randomly lose either a ship *OR* an officer, for any reason. And such a system would be an option I would not use, ever. Even if my only option is to stop playing. Ships and officers are part of *MY* character. I picked them, I paid for them, and I'll be the only one to decide when it's time to write them out of the script.
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-25-2010, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowself
I would be greatly unhappy with any system that could cause me to randomly lose either a ship *OR* an officer, for any reason. And such a system would be an option I would not use, ever. Even if my only option is to stop playing. Ships and officers are part of *MY* character. I picked them, I paid for them, and I'll be the only one to decide when it's time to write them out of the script.

i second that sentiment.

do not make me quit this game please. If i want those mechanics i will go play PotBS's or eve. Both games that do this kind of gameplay to perfection.
I REALLY do not need a third game that tries doing it.

I need more storys to experience with my dudes. not new ways to lose them.
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-25-2010, 06:50 PM
Jezz people, don't have a heart attack...it's going to be a part of the difficulty slider no doubt.
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-25-2010, 06:55 PM
here's a quick thought for use with rare player built ships, if you have to include losing a ship don't make it permanent, just make it unusable while it's repaired at a shipyard for a few hours/days of time logged in to fix it and if your fleet has a player owned Starbase and shipyard shave time off of the repair eta, gives a reason for fleets to build the shipyard and then encourages them to maintain it after everyone in the fleets already done with it.

Zekren
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-25-2010, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekren
here's a quick thought for use with rare player built ships, if you have to include losing a ship don't make it permanent, just make it unusable while it's repaired at a shipyard for a few hours/days of time logged in to fix it and if your fleet has a player owned Starbase and shipyard shave time off of the repair eta, gives a reason for fleets to build the shipyard and then encourages them to maintain it after everyone in the fleets already done with it.

Zekren
also gives people a reason to use older ships!
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-25-2010, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekren
Interesting idea, I kinda like it. I also like the OP's ideas and think a blending of the two would be sweet.
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-25-2010, 08:29 PM
This has the makings of a great idea.

The very top tier of ships could present a more "realistic" Star Trek feel. When they take damage, it is not trivial. They may need extensive repairs, materials, time, etc. Maybe damage translates to the interior as well.

This could open up new game play mechanics for repairing. There could be a new economic element for materials. Think of how much more time you could spend in the game (potentially having fun) as you work around your ship trying to repair issues. All this would be made even better if there were room for cooperation with other players.

Don't think that this needs to be as painful as Eve or PotBS. Maybe STO could leverage the interiors, BOs, and other unique mechanics combined with some mini-games. Just keep it from being tedious or repetetive.

I look forward to new gameplay elements in the future!

Edit: Naturally it's important to have the previous ships as a viable option in combat. They just might not participate in all the risk/reward scenarios of the top ships.
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-25-2010, 08:40 PM
Quote:
This is some of the best news I've heard in regards to the game.

As a huge fan of PotBS, I would love to see a system similar to those mechanics implemented in STO.