Lt. Commander
# 11
10-25-2010, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelGarrett View Post
Hopefully they won't. You could use this for a serious economy exploit.

Regards,
Rachel
How can a merchant that pays 10% more lead to a "serious economy exploit"? I'm assuming, of course, that you don't consider buying something off the exchange and selling it for a profit an exploit (since it isn't).
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-25-2010, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
It may have missed the patch notes but I show the following change was slated for the patch notes:

"Now that the Breen crisis has been averted, stores in the Defera Sector no longer buy items at prices above Federation standard exchange rates."
You would think the vendors at Droxana Station would start buying at an increased rate then, wouldn't you?

But they don't.

Lt. Commander
# 13
10-25-2010, 03:27 PM
Despite what the patch note says - this was a serious bug and the prices being offered on Outpost 3 were not intended. The store is now fixed and set to the standard price structure.
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-25-2010, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Despite what the patch note says - this was a serious bug and the prices being offered on Outpost 3 were not intended. The store is now fixed and set to the standard price structure.
I guess my point is this: If there really was an actual exploit tied into this bug - you might want to skim back over this thread to pick out the names of people who may be openly admitting they abused it into the ground.

Just throwing ideas out there.
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-25-2010, 04:15 PM
Quote:
I'd just like to say... standard is boring.

Yes, you could have bought from one merchant and sold to another and made a profit with how it was before, but is that really a bad thing? If people want to haul cargo for money... well, heck why not let them? It may not be thoroughly exciting but it adds a dimension to the game and gives people more non-combat content.

Of course, maybe it would be best if the items you could make money hauling weren't able to be stored in large stacks...
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-25-2010, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
I'd just like to say... standard is boring.

Yes, you could have bought from one merchant and sold to another and made a profit with how it was before, but is that really a bad thing?D
Yes it is. The ability to make currency hand over fist in an economy with limited resources leads to runaway inflation at the exchange. In order to combat inflation the devs can do a few things. Add influence sinks like a fee for using the exchange, standardize the prices at which things get bought by NPC stores, add currency sinks like mini games, tailor fees, etc that takes some of the currency out of the economy.
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-25-2010, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combadge
I guess my point is this: If there really was an actual exploit tied into this bug - you might want to skim back over this thread to pick out the names of people who may be openly admitting they abused it into the ground.

Really? I mean, really? Dude, why is it every single post of yours I read boils down to one major thing, you wanting the devs to punish someone for doing something in the game you don't agree with.

It's one thing to ask for fixes to bugs or exploits that you feel hurt the game experience, that's commendable no matter what our differing opinion, but you keep asking that people get punished. People that are only trying to have fun. It's really really mean spirited man. That's some bad karma and juju.
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-25-2010, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Aha! It was a bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combadge

Selling things at the store that gives the best resell price could be considered an exploit, I guess. But really, if they are going to discipline anyone for using it then they would have to discipline everyone, not just those that posted about it. Because it wasn't just a few players that used it. It was everyone. The Outpost 3 system has been one of the busiest locations in the game since that series was released and it can't just be because of the dailies.

Lt. Commander
# 19
10-25-2010, 06:16 PM
If you are buying from a merchant and then selling to another for 60% value rather than 50% value....how are you making a profit.

Buy Item A from Merchant A for 100 EC
Sell Item A to Merchant B (that buys at 60%) for 60 EC
Equals at 40 EC loss for you!!!

Now if you want to buy items in one place and then take them to Defari and sell them for 60% value...then that is on you and you are dumb cause you are lossing EC.

For you to make a profit:
Buy Item A From Merchant A for 100 EC
Sell Item A to Merchant B for 160 EC
That is a profit of 60 EC and means that Merchant B bought item for 160% of value.

I personnally have not seen anywhere (execpt Exchange) where you can sell an item for 160% value.

Now if the item was a drop..then it really wouldn't matter if you sold it for 60% or 50% cause either way you are making a profit.
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-25-2010, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopwith_Snipe
Yes it is. The ability to make currency hand over fist in an economy with limited resources leads to runaway inflation at the exchange. In order to combat inflation the devs can do a few things. Add influence sinks like a fee for using the exchange, standardize the prices at which things get bought by NPC stores, add currency sinks like mini games, tailor fees, etc that takes some of the currency out of the economy.
The only problem was that the items which could be sold were stackable, thus allowing for massive quantities to be shipped in a single cargo run.

If we were looking at items where only a reasonable amount could be shipped at any one time then there's no problem. It's not "instant free money" because you'd be looking at only a moderate amount of cargo that could be moved, for a reasonable profit, at the cost of the initial purchase of said cargo and invested travel time.

In a ship-based space game the inability to do any kind of cargo run is actually a hilariously obvious oversight.

Actually, if there were anything of worth that could be purchased with latinum I'd suggest that cargo missions should be latinum-based, since it would seem to make the most sense. And on that note... it'd be nice if there were something worthwhile that could be purchased with latinum. Limited vanity items alone don't quite cut it...
Closed Thread