Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
10-26-2010, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heralo
The way I understand it anyone can sign the UGC eula and become a reviewer. The separation is probably just a way for Cryptic to protect themselves from any lawsuits, etc.
Basically, yeah. Everyone can play a new mission if they acknowledge that the mission could contain offensive stuff, so don't hold Cryptic responsible for what this or that pervert or racist did with the tools. Clicking that agreement is the only thing that separates reviewers from the entire playerbase.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
10-26-2010, 10:29 AM
i want to see it in action but i like the sound of it

If i log on and want to do a UGC mission that i know works or if someone who is perhaps a child, or is easily offended they should be able to cycle through a list of mission that have been approved as safe, so they know nothing too bad is going to jump out at them, and that its completable.

if you want to go find any mission, sign the EAUL and then go play any mission you choose, so yes all missions should be approved.

There is nothing with this process from stopping you from finding any UG mission in the game, if that is what you want to do.
The review process is just to make sure if you only want to see missions that work as you would expect them then you can. How is this a bad thing?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
10-26-2010, 10:31 AM
There should be a review and a meta-review system. Meaning that the players review both the mission and evaluate the review of players. Bad reviews would be weeded out because of the meta review system. And if the meta review score is actually attached to the player then their reviews would count less.

Thus you get a weighed review system.


There will need to be incentives for people to review missions though. I m thinking that you cant get the mission reward / XP without evaluating the mission. And then there would be a daily mission where you would meta review the score of other players on missions you already did.

Thus, you could nt game the system by badly reviewing a mission because your review score would be effected, making your reviews count less.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
10-26-2010, 12:39 PM
For the most part it sounds like the way it will work is the best way to do it.

It's not as I understand it like a mission has to get a 3/5 star rating to be pushed to 'live' just played X times from start to finish and not get any reports for inappropriate content.

Since anyone who uses the Foundry can review missions I don't think there will be a problem with too few people to try the new missions.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
10-26-2010, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueheart
So the question is, does everyone who sign up automatically become a reviewer or do you have to be selected as a reviewer by someone on the dev team? If everyone can be a reviewer, then why bother to separate between "reviewers" and "non-reviewers".

I think it'd be better to allow all content to be available and given an "unreviewed" status. Basically you trade signing up to be a reviewer with a checkbox that says "unreviewed" when choosing UCG content. The end result is the same except I think it would cause a lot fewer waves within the community.
Any player can sign up to review newly published community authored missions.

The reason we require a sign up, and have a separate EULA for this is because we believe that since STO is a family game, and inevitably someone will create content which is inappropriate, we need to provide a filter of sorts to be able to catch this sort of material.

By asking for people who are not concerned about coming across this content, but whom understand why someone's episode about [Insert your worst case scenario here] isn't healthy for the game, we can catch a large amount of this content before it is seen by those who would rather not be subjected to unvetted material.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
10-26-2010, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
Any player can sign up to review newly published community authored missions.
I don't understand why you didn't just make this required for everyone. "In order to play UGC, you must sign a new EULA, and report any offensive material." Instead, due to a poorly worded announcement, you've split the community into "reviewers" and "non-reviewers."

I mean, I can see the desire to keep stuff away from the kiddies, and it's a good thing to do, but I don't see what's to prevent them from scrolling through the new EULA, clicking the "Yes I read the whole thing I swear, no really I did" button, and playing stuff anyways.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
10-26-2010, 01:54 PM
I think it would be sufficient to be able to report a mission as inappropriate, requiring a threshold number of reports to be investigated and otherwise star-rate it and the crap will sink to the bottom by itself.

You risk entering an Apple App Store-esque doo-doo storm if you get into limiting user content based on a pre-set series of conditions. Whatever you do and however fair you think the rules are you will offend someone, and one person's fair is the next one's harsh and unnecessary.

Let us self-moderate. If it doesn't work out, then maybe you could look at a compromise measure, but to start with at least lets us give it a shot?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
10-26-2010, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
Any player can sign up to review newly published community authored missions.
I may have missed this somewhere, but where/how exactly does someone sign up?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
10-26-2010, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
I don't understand why you didn't just make this required for everyone. "In order to play UGC, you must sign a new EULA, and report any offensive material." Instead, due to a poorly worded announcement, you've split the community into "reviewers" and "non-reviewers."

I mean, I can see the desire to keep stuff away from the kiddies, and it's a good thing to do, but I don't see what's to prevent them from scrolling through the new EULA, clicking the "Yes I read the whole thing I swear, no really I did" button, and playing stuff anyways.
How is the community split into "reviewers" and "non-reviewers" if anyone can sign up to be a reviewer?

I'm not trolling, I'm just asking for some clarification of your point of view.

thanks in advance.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
10-26-2010, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combadge
I may have missed this somewhere, but where/how exactly does someone sign up?
We'll have more information regarding that once The Foundry for Star Trek Online (Beta) goes to Tribble. However, it will be done in-game, and should be very easy to sign up for.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:06 PM.