Lt. Commander
Could an option be added for the game sound FX to be where the actual character or ship is located instead of where the camera is located?
Lt. Commander
# 2
10-26-2010, 03:36 AM
It already is.
Lt. Commander
# 3
10-26-2010, 04:34 AM
Hmm, I will take another look in the Sound Options then...don't recall seeing it
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-26-2010, 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaNine
It already is.
Ok, I just logged in to the game and checked all the options pages ... I do not see anything that allows me to tell it to have sounds play from the Character/Ship location instead of the camera location. Could you explain where I might find this setting please? Thanks!

I just find it annoying when I move the camera around to have certain sounds suddenly get louder when my character/ship is no where near that location.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-26-2010, 01:56 PM
The sounds will get louder when you zoom in. They fade as you zoom out. There is no setting besides volume.

I'm not sure why you are perceiving this differently than myself. Try setting the camera to Follow Target.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-26-2010, 02:54 PM
Quote:
The sounds will get louder when you zoom in. They fade as you zoom out. There is no setting besides volume.

I'm not sure why you are perceiving this differently than myself. Try setting the camera to Follow Target.
He's asking for the opposite effect. The sound being on the ship or avatar, rather than in relation to the camera. ie : Zooming out, the engine and impacts sound the same as when you're zoomed in, or something hitting to the right always comes through the right speaker, regardless of where your camera is currently positioned.

I would like such an option myself.
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-26-2010, 03:48 PM
The sound is on the ship or captain; that is why the noise gets louder when you get close to it, and it fades as you go away from it. It's Doppler Shift.

What you want is constant volume regardless of distance. And now I understand. Thank you.

I think the Doppler effect makes sense on the ground. It's realistic. In space however, it might be more fitting to have a constant volume. Sound can't travel through a vacuum anyways so there's no need to try and simulate the shift as it couldn't exist to begin with
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-27-2010, 04:21 AM
Quote:
The sound is on the ship or captain; that is why the noise gets louder when you get close to it, and it fades as you go away from it. It's Doppler Shift.

What you want is constant volume regardless of distance. And now I understand. Thank you.

I think the Doppler effect makes sense on the ground. It's realistic. In space however, it might be more fitting to have a constant volume. Sound can't travel through a vacuum anyways so there's no need to try and simulate the shift as it couldn't exist to begin with
What I want is to hear the sound at the location of the Ship or Character ... not at the location of the camera. For example, in a Space Mission with a Derelict Ship. Fly your ship to about 4K from the Derelict Ship and stop. With your camera in Free mode and zoomed all the way out, swing the point of view around to the derelict ship...you will notice the ambient sounds are based on where your camera view is positioned, not where your ship is positioned...otherwise, there would have been no change in the sound's location or volume.

Try it on the ground. For example, Zoom your camera out to max. Walk your toon up to something that makes sound and then keep going past. As your CAMERA gets closer to the object, the sound increases where it should have increased as your toon got closer.

So yes, it is a Doppler Shift...but again, I would like an option based on the location of your character or ship avatar, not on the location of your camera's point of view.