Lt. Commander
# 21
10-25-2010, 04:44 PM
I SHALL PREDICT THE FUTURE..........drum roll

the review system will not work....well

but over time with some head scratching they will come up with something that will.

.....all new concept stuff is like that....you put it out, doesn't work
tweek it, still no workie....adjust more..ect........then after much growing pains...it works.

So I would not be too concerned

give it a fair shot....it won't work..they will start the adjust process...its all good
Lt. Commander
# 22
10-25-2010, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direphoenix View Post
Any chance we can write some missions to be only available to specific people we share them with? Like an "Authorized User List" or something like that?
That is not something we are planning on implementing at this time.
Lt. Commander
# 23
10-25-2010, 11:07 PM
Considering that there will be thousands of UGC missions, there is no need to have an Authorized User List. Most missions will have a few people play it and thats it. Most people don't make missions that are Dev's Choice, Hall of Fame, or whatever ranking there is for the best and/or most popular missions out there.
Lt. Commander
# 24
10-26-2010, 12:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Considering that there will be thousands of UGC missions, there is no need to have an Authorized User List. Most missions will have a few people play it and thats it. Most people don't make missions that are Dev's Choice, Hall of Fame, or whatever ranking there is for the best and/or most popular missions out there.
I wasn't concerned with actual "mission" missions, but more in the means of works in progress. For example, if I or my fleeties are working on something where I (or we) publish something for some select others to see and critique and tweak until we're ready to actually publish it, I wouldn't want someone doing a search of my creations and see my "unready" stuff that I wanted only a few others to see.

Also, it seems apparent that the workaround in players and fleets creating their own ship interiors and fleet starbases would be to create one of these maps as a "mission" and share it amongst their fleet members. It may not be an actual social instance because you'd have to be grouped up on the same team to be in the same instance (and even then, only 5 on an instance map) but it seems the closest we'll be able to get for a while. And in that case, we may not actually want to share our designs with absolutely everyone in the game that can do a player search for authored maps.
Lt. Commander
# 25
10-26-2010, 12:46 AM
Yea......Im naturally put off by UGC to begin with not for the good aspects of it, but the abuse factor involved.

And considering those factors we may just have to wait and see how Cryptic approaches this in both testing (if there is any) and the final product.

Considering also that this game is played by more adults then children, the oversight thingy doesn't bug me this much. last thing i want to do is fight a bunch of tellerites with afros dressed as orion women.

And with the afore mentioned dynamic that is planned with teaming and sharing of the like, I think you may find people having to wait in line for the really good missions that are created just to play them.

Guarentee'd if I create anything and take it to publish.......it will be a real mind bender.

Again we'll just have to wait and see. I'm sure Cryptic wouldn't make the same mistakes as other games have when it comes to handing the players the keys to creativity. We'll just have to trust them on that.

hate it or love it......I am very curious on how it will work and can't wait to see it in action.
Lt. Commander
# 26
10-26-2010, 02:56 AM
I was kind of hoping this tool would allow players to distribute missions to other players at their decision. It would have been a great tool to give focus to roleplayers and get them out of "tavern RP." Seeing as it now has to go through a review board I'm not sure how this will turn out.
Lt. Commander
# 27
10-26-2010, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennan View Post
I was kind of hoping this tool would allow players to distribute missions to other players at their decision. It would have been a great tool to give focus to roleplayers and get them out of "tavern RP." Seeing as it now has to go through a review board I'm not sure how this will turn out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TauNeutrino
In answer to the question about reviews, we intend to always allow you as the author to share your published content with friends, regardless of whether it's been reviewed. I believe that searching for the mission specifically by author or by name will return the complete list, indicating which ones have not been reviewed.

We aim to make the publishing and sharing process as easy as possible between friends; our main concern with this system is to keep inappropriate and broken content from being advertised to players unless they actively opt in to review.
You will be able to share your missions with your friends. Whether they mean the actual people on your friends list or just random people you're soliciting your mission to, I'm not sure (although I think limiting it to your friends list may be the better option). In addition, apparently people can just do a search for the author and see everything they've done, whether it's been reviewed or not.

EDIT: Just in case you missed in in the quote above, you can also do a search for the mission by name to find it. The "review board" can be totally bypassed. The only thing reviewed missions get is the ability to show up first without being searched for.
Lt. Commander
# 28
10-26-2010, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
The panel is composed of any and every player who wants to join and it's essential that UGC get rated/playtested, among other things to determine the reward.
Yes, correct me if I'm wrong here (because I admit I'm a bit hazy on the details) but there are essentially two groups of players in this regard: those who volunteer to play through a UGC mission the moment the author says it's ready, and those who choose to wait until said mission has been officially flagged as ready by the first group. We could also say the latter group is a group that has asked not to participate in beta-testing UGC missions.

If that's correct, I don't see the problem. Am I missing something?
Lt. Commander
# 29
10-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direphoenix View Post
You will be able to share your missions with your friends. Whether they mean the actual people on your friends list or just random people you're soliciting your mission to, I'm not sure (although I think limiting it to your friends list may be the better option). In addition, apparently people can just do a search for the author and see everything they've done, whether it's been reviewed or not.

EDIT: Just in case you missed in in the quote above, you can also do a search for the mission by name to find it. The "review board" can be totally bypassed. The only thing reviewed missions get is the ability to show up first without being searched for.
Ahhh okay, I see now. Thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 30
10-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennan View Post
You will be able to share your missions with anyone, you just won't be able to stop some people from playing it, that would be exclusion, which would be bad. That's where you get into so-called elite subgroups and entitlement. ("Only the *cool* people get to play *my* missions." as an example.)

Anyway, what you're talking about seem to be more like private RP instances and not missions anyway.