Lt. Commander
# 61
10-27-2010, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueheart
You already can choose to do that, they let you have that option.

Next time your ship explodes, warp back to ESD, discharge your ship and then go buy a new one along with all new consoles, weapons, shields, etc. and you can have that great hardcore gameplay that keeps the game interesting for you.

There's no reason to wait for this, you just have to be a bit creative with how you play.

Oh and for even more fun, queue up for some PVP and announce you are playing in "hardcore" mode and if you die you'll have to leave so you can discharge your ship and all it's gear. I'm sure they would all love to know what a hardcore player you are and would completely understand you leaving in the middle of a match to discharge your ship.
This pretty much echos my feelings. If you want "risk", the tools are readily available for you. I argue that the implementation of any sort of "loss" system doesn't offer enough value add to justify the developer resources necessary in drafting out said system. You'll endure much more negativity than praise. No one likes losing their hard earned goods.

Besides, the suggested "loss" system is essentially a change in how the game is played on a fundamental level and we all know how players react to fundamental game play changes by looking at Star Wars Galaxies.

Devs, your time is better spent by doing what you're already doing. Don't add systems that will only serve to add frustration to the game. Instead, improve upon what we already have.
Lt. Commander
# 62
10-27-2010, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueheart
You already can choose to do that, they let you have that option.

Next time your ship explodes, warp back to ESD, discharge your ship and then go buy a new one along with all new consoles, weapons, shields, etc. and you can have that great hardcore gameplay that keeps the game interesting for you.

There's no reason to wait for this, you just have to be a bit creative with how you play.

Oh and for even more fun, queue up for some PVP and announce you are playing in "hardcore" mode and if you die you'll have to leave so you can discharge your ship and all it's gear. I'm sure they would all love to know what a hardcore player you are and would completely understand you leaving in the middle of a match to discharge your ship.
That is pretty lame excuse for an answer, it only show that new things are not welcome if you don't approve it, not willingly to even see how it might turn out. the scary thing can be that you like it, we wont have that now do we.?
end of ranting last rant post ill answer
Lt. Commander
# 63
10-27-2010, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarie
That is pretty lame excuse for an answer, it only show that new things are not welcome if you don't approve it, not willingly to even see how it might turn out. the scary thing can be that you like it, we wont have that now do we.?
end of ranting last rant post ill answer
The thing is; it's not a new concept and never benefits anyone other than hardcore players and griefers. The imposed mechanic ship loss upon destruction is alive and well in EvE and POTBS and has been so for quite awhile and implementing here will not make STO a better game. the only reason in my mind that players would want this kind of thing is so that they can destroy what someone else has earned.

Look, I played Eve for several years. I got my pilot into the 30m skill point range before I quit. He was a very capable Command Ship pilot but never PvP'd in anything more than a newb frigate because he couldn't afford to replace the more expensive ships once he lost them. If you own a nice ship but don't fly it because you're afraid to lose it in combat, how is that any fun at all?

Please, keep this hardcore BS in Eve and POTBS. If I wanted that kind of experience I would just go and play those games.
Lt. Commander
# 64
10-27-2010, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincire View Post
Please, keep this hardcore BS in Eve and POTBS. If I wanted that kind of experience I would just go and play those games.
If you want to play hardcore...play EvE or PoTBS, this is STO. Devs.....please keep it as is, this IS NOT EVE and PoTBS but STO!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 65
10-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Something absolutely needs to be done about the massive inflation and lack of endgame depth/content. Some sort of improved ship and crafting system could really address both problems.

For all those insisting that the Devs should not go down this path with T6 ships, what other proposals do you have to address the above two problems?

I as hardline against a death penalty or difficulty slider. Something like it needed to be put in game, but the proposal was weak at best and did not address the concerns (game is too easy, no risk, supposed zerging). The difficulty system needed to be integrated much more deeply into the game, affecting more than numerical enemy stats.

The proposal on the table for T6 type ships and crafting is much closer to what we should have seen from a difficulty system. A bit of risk/reward combined with new gameplay elements that add to the game, not subtract. The only thing we should be loosing with the new system is EC.
Lt. Commander
# 66
10-27-2010, 02:11 PM
I completely endorse the crafting/mining shindig. If someone wants to spend 24hrs out on a rock so they can build their own retrofit ship than so be it. As far as losing your ship is concerned I almost think it is necessary, I mean really. If you are going to fly your nice shiny tier-million ship out then be prepared to lose it, otherwise keep it in the dock. I do think that if the ship was purchased VIA Earth space dock ship yard than Starfleet should at least issue you a new ship of the same type, but if the ship was crafted on your own than you are SOL. Should the consoles and such be issued as well, no. Starfleet issue ships should be stock like when you got it. The beauty of crafting your own ship should be the customization along with it. If I want an assault cruiser with more tac slots then i should be able to sacrifice a science slot when i build it, but since it isnt "standard issue" at the shipyard then there is no obligation to reimburse me if i lose it. PvP and STF missions should focus more on the ship damage aspect. that would move more players to assist others during game play, would also give you a good reason to make a trip to the fleet drydock to get fixed.
Lt. Commander
# 67
10-27-2010, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houyoku
If you want to play hardcore...play EvE or PoTBS, this is STO. Devs.....please keep it as is, this IS NOT EVE and PoTBS but STO!!!!
isn't that exactly what I just said?
Lt. Commander
# 68
10-27-2010, 02:39 PM
Quote:
isn't that exactly what I just said?
Oops..was typing that up and didn't see you posting.
Lt. Commander
# 69
10-28-2010, 07:20 AM
Quote:
I don't think this person is being selfish, just realistic. Introducing the concept of "loss" to this game will do far more harm than good and for what? What is the benefit in adding this type of risk to the game? What are the risks in such a system? This isn't the game to introduce EvE style losses..especially this far into release.
dont know about u but in every game there is loss. Wake up and smell the data chips. IN STAR TREK CANON, there is extreme lost. Our mouths juiced over when we saw major wars or ship to ship battles, where ship where actually damage and went back to a starbase damaged. The purpose is so that you will learn to be a better player.

sorry to say but you really dont know what your talking about. Eve style play. you really mean star trek style play as in every star trek game there is loss. Star trek came before eve. eve concepts are from star trek. STO is missing alot from its own canon and genre games as well as its mmo purpose. actually eve got it right after some time. you learned attributes. it taugh you simple ideas as well as complex ones. If you wish to stay small minded and not think then i can understand why you dont want loss. although this isnt the game for you really as it deals with space. you do all remember that space is a cold dead place, Right?

hard core players loose just like beginners. while alot of you arent real gamers and never intend to be. lets get real hear. Many of you are not star trek players but rather people who want an easy mmo. you are in itself button mashers. You dont wish to learn anything and feel no need to elevate your brain function in complex gaming matters. To be honest eve online players came over to star trek because STO promised alot of attributes eve online had. Many of them have left due to the lies that came to light. I see nothing wrong with loss. It makes the game balanced. it gives you something to think about. It created end game content def and crafting abilities as well as a more social enviorment. To be honest STO has become less of a social area in the past few months then before.

The point of loss is not to make your life harder but be inclusive. think before you do. measure yourself and be social witha fleet. MMO have always been about people. The only reason one doesnt want loss is so that they can go in it alone. In str8 talk you want to mash buttons and play an rpg, thats fine but you gain risk with that.

STO will be changing to a real concept of space and its many hazards. I realize while most of you like star trek as a distant idea. many of you dont learn from star trek. Yes i said learn. Believe it or not alot of the tech from star trek we do use and interact with in our daily life. Besides that STO was made to bring the star trek experince to life in the MMO world. if you signed up for that then yes you signed up for loss of ship and life because believe it or not people it is dangerous out there and if you arent careful you can loose yourself. I like MMO that teach us something. An MMO that isnt just about mashing buttons and racking up kills. An MMO that will enhance my learning and show me things i can not see for my own eyes at this present time.

finally loss of life is apart of life and so it should be in an MMO. besides. its just a ship and equipment you are losing not your life. Get to you escap pods people. if Picard was willing to destroy his ship in every movie for the greater good, why not You. are you a coward?
Lt. Commander
# 70
10-28-2010, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Nothing certain yet - but we've been taking a close look at PotBS's ship crafting/loss mechanics as a possibility for top tier ships in the future. It certainly comes up frequently in discussions.
Good call, i loved that game!
(until those idiots at FLS removed the top Tier ships of the game, don't you ever dare do that Cryptic)

But while your at it you should have a close look at PotBS world PvP and RvR