Lt. Commander
# 251
10-28-2010, 10:24 AM
I'm thinking subscriber only content as well. Its not like UGC is some essential aspect of gameplay that people would be "forced" to buy, however it would be a pretty awesome incentive.
Lt. Commander
# 252
10-28-2010, 10:50 AM
I envision a F2P hybrid STO looking something like this:

1 Federation character.
* choose from Human, Vulcan, or Trill. If you want another standard race you buy it from the c-store. If you want a second character you buy it from the c-store.
* assigned a single ship. If you want to have the 3-ship choice and customize each tier you need to buy it from the c-store. Special ships must also be purchased.
* BOs are limited to only a few choices. C-store if you want more, or if you want special choices like Liberated Borg.

You buy access to a single Klingon character.
* Like above, that opens Klink, Gorn, or Orion. If you want another standard race you buy it from teh c-store. If you want a second character you buy it from the c-store.
* assigned a single ship. If you want to have the 3-ship choice and customize each tier you need to buy it from the c-store (assuming Klinks will eventually get more ship choices per tier). Special ships must also be purchased.
* BOs are limited to only a few choices. C-store if you want more, or if you want special choices like Liberated Borg.

You have access to episodes and patrols, but nothing else. If you want exploration you buy it from the c-store.

If you want Crafting, Difficulty Slider, Replay, or Diplomacy you buy those options from the c-store.

Foundry, weeklies, zone additions, and special events are all subscription content.
Lt. Commander
# 253
10-28-2010, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
I envision a F2P hybrid STO looking something like this:

[stuff]
I like this idea. It keeps current subs and LTS at pretty much what they are now, and, most importantly, it doesn't force Cryptic to sell things like hyposprays and "reward boosts" in the C Store.

Limited gameplay, subscribe for more gameplay. Limited BOs/ships, buy them if you want more without subscribing. Nice work.
Lt. Commander
# 254
10-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felderburg View Post
I like this idea. It keeps current subs and LTS at pretty much what they are now, and, most importantly, it doesn't force Cryptic to sell things like hyposprays and "reward boosts" in the C Store.

Limited gameplay, subscribe for more gameplay. Limited BOs/ships, buy them if you want more without subscribing. Nice work.
Doesn't force, but they would anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 255
10-28-2010, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
Doesn't force, but they would anyway.
Makes sense. They all have to pay for their houses and food monthly.
Lt. Commander
# 256
10-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Don't like f2p models. The game I used to play which has run that model from its beginning (won't name it) has been stagnating for quite some time now. Keep STO subscription based.
Lt. Commander
# 257
10-28-2010, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureAlliance View Post
Don't like f2p models. The game I used to play which has run that model from its beginning (won't name it) has been stagnating for quite some time now. Keep STO subscription based.
Good thing the CO model isnt just F2P but still includes a sub option!
Lt. Commander
# 258
10-28-2010, 03:30 PM
First I must say that I am COMPLETELY against the idea of STO going Free-2-Play. I do have to say that if it ever does go that way, then I agree with the idea of a mixed model. Several people have made extremely good suggestions. I think the idea of limited content accessibility would probably be the best solution. There's a certain wizard game out there that works that way, seems to be pretty successful for them.
Lt. Commander
# 259
10-28-2010, 03:59 PM
Am in favour of STO going free-to-play and would adopt a "Gold" Membership assuming Champions-style model. However I am also happy to have to continue as subscription-based for now.
Lt. Commander
# 260
10-28-2010, 04:15 PM
Just a thought:

If it does go F2P, why not just restrict free account's level cap as they do in Lotro? Restrict all free accounts to say, a maximum rank of Lt. Cmdr. THEN, people have to pay if they want to be a "real" Captain and get all the rewards/benefits that come with it.
Closed Thread