Lt. Commander
Hello All,

I'm a bit confused about what gives the best boost to photonic shockwave 3.

I'll list what the skill states and other stats that look like they can effect it has well.

I just want to make sure that I'm getting the best boost for the skill that I can.

I gained access to Photonic Shockwave 3 early because someone was nice enough to train the skill to my BO when I was only a commander and now that I'm a Captain I can use it.

Photonic Shockwave 3:
Attributes that affect this skill
Starship Operations Training [7] in this skill
Starship Emitters [7] in this skill
Starship Deflector Dish [9] in this skill

Photonic Theory [No Points in the skill yet, I'm still only Captain 2] [Should I max this?]
This skill Improves Starship Photonic Abilities
Examples Include
Photonic Shockwave
Photonic Fleet

So far this is the best Deflector that I could find

Positron Deflectro Array Mk X [DefD] [ST]
+28 Starship Emitters
+10 Starship Deflector Dish
+22 Starship Tractor Beam [I do use the skill but would love a +10 Hazard Emitter instead]
+10 Photonic Theory

I'll be using the Voyager Refit and I'm building for the VA level.

I have 4 each of the following:
Collimator XI +18 Defelector Dish [Very pricey now for some reason, Lucky I got mine cheap]
Holomatrix Diode Mk XI +18 Photonic Theory [I think these should be the best for me since I use PF ]

The whole reason for this post is because up in till last Weeks patch Photonic Theory stated nothing about boosting Photonic Shockwave; however, now it's clearly listed on the skill and I want to make sure that it's correct.

Thanks for your time
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-08-2010, 08:43 AM
I know Emitters did before, but Photonic Theory did NOT. But, if they changed the tooltip in the last patch, then it's likely that Photonic Theory now does boost it.

However. Photonic Shockwave III really isn't worth it, IMO. It has a slightly higher damage than PSW I, and the stun is hardly changed, if at all. Last I checked, my PSW I and III stunned for the same duration.
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Acutally, the skill list has been wrong since Open Beta, and that Photonic Shockwave has Never been affected by Photonic Theory, seems a little screwy too that you have to train up a skill that has nothing to do with Photonic Shockwave to get the #3 of that skill.
Even the Consoles Photonic Theory says it increases Photonic Shockwave, but that too is wrong. Only thing photonic shockwave is affected by is Operations, Emitters and Deflector Dish. (And is also not affected by Aux Level ither.
Lt. Commander
# 4
10-27-2010, 11:20 PM
Then they REALLY need to fix either the ability or the skill that affects it, as I just sunk way too much cash and points trying to boost it with Photonic Theory. Thats just seriously messed up, and I can't believe this has been wrong since beta and STILL not fixed. Does Cryptic have anyone working on the game at ALL? Or do they just not give a crap about bugs? Fix the damn skill text already! It specifically says it affects Photonic Shockwave and does nothing for it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
10-28-2010, 02:26 AM
Quote:
Then they REALLY need to fix either the ability or the skill that affects it, as I just sunk way too much cash and points trying to boost it with Photonic Theory. Thats just seriously messed up, and I can't believe this has been wrong since beta and STILL not fixed. Does Cryptic have anyone working on the game at ALL? Or do they just not give a crap about bugs? Fix the damn skill text already! It specifically says it affects Photonic Shockwave and does nothing for it.
It's unintuitive that the skill you need to be able to train Photonic Shockwave doesn'T affect it, but I don't think it's a bug.
Lt. Commander
# 6
10-28-2010, 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
It's unintuitive that the skill you need to be able to train Photonic Shockwave doesn'T affect it, but I don't think it's a bug.
I think it is. PSW III is the only T5 skill in the game that isn't boosted what grants the ability to train it. In fact, beyond the Engineering/Science/Tactical Teams, it's the only skill in the game that's like that (the III version of the Team skills are granted by training Ground abilities).
Lt. Commander
# 7
10-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Not only that, but if you actually LOOK at the skill, it SPECIFICALLY SAYS that it boosts Photonic Shock Wave!

Directly from the in-game skill text for Photonic Theory:

"Starfleet Admiral

Photonic Theory
Holographic projection skill.

This skill improves starship photonic abilities.

Examples include:
Photonic Shock Wave

Photonic Fleet

Sciences Captains who learn all 9 ranks unlock the skill to train officers Photonic Shockwave III"

Photonic Shock Wave is even the first example the skill itself gives as an ability it improves. Can't get much clearer than that. If they want Deflector Dish to improve it fine, fix the text! Otherwise, fix the bug that has PSW assigned to Deflector Dish! One or the other, doesn't really matter to me.
Lt. Commander
# 8
10-28-2010, 07:23 PM
Unless it was changed in a recent patch, PSW is improved by starship operations, emitters, and deflector dish.

And its super easy to check, go buy yourself a colimator, and holomatrix diode press P, note the damage on PSW, then put one console in, then the other, and see which one changes the value. That gives you the answer with certainty.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-29-2010, 01:50 AM
I know the answer, it is deflector dish. I'm just saying that the answer is wrong in one way or another and needs to be fixed. Either by fixing the text on Photonic Theory or by fixing PSW to actually use the skill that you have to train to unlock it.
Lt. Commander
# 10
10-29-2010, 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iueras View Post
Not only that, but if you actually LOOK at the skill, it SPECIFICALLY SAYS that it boosts Photonic Shock Wave!

Directly from the in-game skill text for Photonic Theory:

"Starfleet Admiral

Photonic Theory
Holographic projection skill.

This skill improves starship photonic abilities.

Examples include:
Photonic Shock Wave

Photonic Fleet

Sciences Captains who learn all 9 ranks unlock the skill to train officers Photonic Shockwave III"

Photonic Shock Wave is even the first example the skill itself gives as an ability it improves. Can't get much clearer than that. If they want Deflector Dish to improve it fine, fix the text! Otherwise, fix the bug that has PSW assigned to Deflector Dish! One or the other, doesn't really matter to me.
I want to retract my previous statement and agree. Either the description is wrong or the wrong skill affects Photonic Shockwave.

I don't necessary say that the skill that boosts the BO ability must be the same that you use to train it, but it certainly makes the most sense if it did.
Also it seems to make the most sense from the way other skills are setup that a Lt.Cmdr skill requires a Tier 5 skill to be trained and improve it. That at least seems to be the general idea for skills.