Lt. Commander
# 11
10-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Hmm interesting concept....rewritting current adventure
Who knows, cryptic might adopt a few of them.

Why redu something that someone already did for you?
assuming they give you permission and the legal department doesn't have kittens over it. :p

meow
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-28-2010, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherfungus View Post
Hmm interesting concept....rewritting current adventure
Who knows, cryptic might adopt a few of them.

Why redu something that someone already did for you?
assuming they give you permission and the legal department doesn't have kittens over it. :p

meow
Well, for my part, when doing lots of the missions I often find myself thinking "This makes no sense" or "Why can't I?" or "This mission would be so much better if..."

Since P'Jem is one of the first missions, and probably the first one where not being allowed to make a decision bothered me, it's the one I've spent the longest thinking about reworking.

On top of that, if I make something myself, it's likely to be more complex than something I would just re-do, so the re-do makes a good test of what I can and cannot do. If I can't even upgrade one of their missions to how it I think it should be, then it would probably not be worth my time to even try to do something original.
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-28-2010, 04:37 PM
I think I'd have the most fun making space maps in which you work with ally ships. If dialogue options allow you to effectively "command the fleet", even better. Being able to tell ally ships what points to go to would create a whole new level of strategy to the game.

Of course... there needs to be some reason you can't just have all ships go together, one point at a time. And to my knowledge STO doesn't have any sort of "mission time limit" mechanic that could help there.
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikaelus View Post
IOf course... there needs to be some reason you can't just have all ships go together, one point at a time. And to my knowledge STO doesn't have any sort of "mission time limit" mechanic that could help there.
There are a few missions with timers in them (at least a couple early Fed ones vs Klingons), where you have to defend a point for 45 seconds and then the mission moves to the next objective.

( Not that in those missions it seems you can actually fail the timed part. In fact, I know that you used to be able to turn on the Pause in the mission and it would continue to count down and the mission would actually advance objectives and complete itself while paused, not sure if they ever fixed that bug as I didn't think to check it when my most recent alt went through those missions. )

It might be possible to have a timer like that run down and put the mission in a fail state if other objectives haven't been completed before the timer counted itself out. Will depend on how complex we are allowed to script mission objectives.
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-28-2010, 04:52 PM
I'm enjoying reading other people's ideas. @OP: Thanks for starting this thead.

I think I share some of the interest of other posters. I wrote a mission outline a little while back that involved the androids from Exo II from the original series (although they were all Ferengi). That needs a lot of work and includes a bunch of stuff that I'm sure won't be possible in the actual UGC system when it's finally up and running, but I would like to try and make it work. In fact, I'd like to return to a number of the classic TOS episdoes and work on "what's happened since." I've got some ideas about the Iotians (from "A Piece of the Action") for instance.

The second sort of mission I'm looking forward to working on would be diplomatic/mystery missions. There was another thread a little while back that dstahl started--basically began like an old joke: a Breen and a Ferengi walk into a mining colony run by aliens interested in balance... Lots of people came up with cool ideas about what happened next. I had fun spinning a couple of my own that involved uncovering hidden secrets.

Third, I'd want to generate some stuff with some moral dilemmas. That can be tricky, but would like to take a stab at it.

Overall, I'm not big on combat-oriented missions, so I'll leave that to people with more talent in that direction.

I think the biggest challenge for me is going to be that I'll want to do a bunch of stuff that simply won't be possible with the necessarily limited tools we have (at least at first). But I think it's going to be a blast to see what develops.
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-28-2010, 04:57 PM
What i think is really interesting is that the dev's according to Dan Stahl are going to allow in that of the ability to add on or somehow utilize that of existing missions to be attached to that of new content, in what way that is unsure but it is in the FAQ for the UGC.
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-28-2010, 05:45 PM
I'm going to start with some simple standalone missions, but when they add the functionality to link missions I've got a Jem 'Hadar multi-part mission (short of like the Featured Series in length) that is going to be so much fun to do I ... can't ... wait!!! If it looks like linking won't be added for a long time I might do it in pieces and have the contact at the end tell players to return to the Foundry tab and search for "Title of Next Mission".

I'd like to make some ground missions that don't involve running down the same 7 corridors in a too bright underground lab that has skylights above said corridors. I'd like to give people options between battle and brains, but it depends on the options we can put in with the UGC tools. If we can do decision trees like in the Rescue the Deferi mission I'll be using that quite a bit.

I just hope I have time to make missions between playing everybody else's!
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hklbry View Post
I'm going to start with some simple standalone missions, but when they add the functionality to link missions I've got a Jem 'Hadar multi-part mission (short of like the Featured Series in length) that is going to be so much fun to do I ... can't ... wait!!! If it looks like linking won't be added for a long time I might do it in pieces and have the contact at the end tell players to return to the Foundry tab and search for "Title of Next Mission".
Yeah, I wouldn't invest too much time in anything until we have linking, either. What I'd really like is the capacity to make our own sectors for our mission chains to take place within and across. Then I'd really sit down and start hammering out some in-depth stories.
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-28-2010, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikaelus View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't invest too much time in anything until we have linking, either. What I'd really like is the capacity to make our own sectors for our mission chains to take place within and across. Then I'd really sit down and start hammering out some in-depth stories.
I think before we can even get to that stuff, we have to see what kinds of stuff we can do with any individual mission. My main thing is that I want branching. For example, the P'Jem redo in my head starts with the BO reporting Klingons in the system. The first choice is to Hail or to go to Red Alert. Hailing obviously puts you into dialog, and Red Alert allows you to just fight the Klingons if you like.
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-28-2010, 08:47 PM
The dreaded timer.......eckk

Well I would use one that clicks away IF AND ONLY IF you had to defuse a bomb and
could reasonably see the timer

if, instead you had to open a door in 5 minutes, I would have your science officer say..
Sir, we only have 5 minutes, then use a non-visable timer.

But that is me