Lt. Commander
# 11
10-29-2010, 02:27 AM
Like I said earlier, an accolade might be nice. Anything else sets things up for potential abuse, but an accolade for creating a highly rated scenario might be pretty cool.
Lt. Commander
# 12
10-29-2010, 02:50 AM
They could add some in-game benefits for that (bonus XP, accolades, emblems), but I think that should be about it.

Creating UGC is something you do because you want to create content and find this fun. That's your reward. Your mere peresence in this game is also "content" that Cryptic uses to sell it! You are "content" for the other players I interact with. If there weren't a lot of us, there probably wouldn't be any of us, because space would be empty, Fleet Actions unsolvable, PvP Queues wouldn't pop, STFs wouldn't be completed.

Creating the UGC system isn't "free" to Cryptic, either. It takes dev time and thus resources.
Lt. Commander
# 13
10-29-2010, 03:40 AM
I heard Cryptic have promised cake to the most promising UGC...
Lt. Commander
# 14
10-29-2010, 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by saint100 View Post
I heard Cryptic have promised cake to the most promising UGC...
Cake? CAKE? We don't want no stinking CAKE! (lol sorry, couldn't resist).
Lt. Commander
# 15
10-29-2010, 03:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hravik
Not even candy? Or perhaps pie?
Ok... you sold me on Pie.
Lt. Commander
# 16
10-29-2010, 05:14 AM
IF...someone created something so epic it got into the full game then maybe there should be something

perhaps a UGC of the month competition
..winning prize=1 month free or 1000 cryptic points
Lt. Commander
# 17
10-29-2010, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xceptionzero View Post
IF...someone created something so epic it got into the full game then maybe there should be something

perhaps a UGC of the month competition
..winning prize=1 month free or 1000 cryptic points
It's doubtful that they'd offer anything that big of a prize. Though a much smaller monthly prize might not be too far out of the question.
Lt. Commander
# 18
10-29-2010, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blyn
mmk, so i was reading one of the MMO news sites covering UGC in STO and there was concern over whether it was FAIR for devs to implement a feature that was essentially charging people a monthly sub to develop content for them.

yeeeea, i don't think that's happening, the devs won't head to the beach once UGC comes out...
(they can't... dev skin vaporizes on contact with sunlight)
some guy in Texas with a $139 tricorder replica won't be crafting our weekly episodes on a Mountain Dew fueled fanfic spree
(he'll be in the Cryptic office)
BUT i think there will always be the possibility that someone will create something so kick-ass that the devs will integrate it into the game
(like a sticky... in the forum of our hearts...)
Sooo if this situation comes to pass would the creators get a lil sum'n sum'n? like C-Moneys?
Am I the only one who thinks this sounds like a joke?
Lt. Commander
# 19
10-29-2010, 10:05 AM
I think what's more likely is that if someone is consistently churning out well-received content then they MAY be lucky enough to get a job offer. This UGC screams of them looking for more content ideas outside of the current dev team.
Lt. Commander
# 20
10-29-2010, 10:52 AM
Seems to be some confusion here about how Player Authored MIssions end up in game.

Cryptic doesn't "select" missions to show up in game - all authored missions can show up in game if they are playtested enough times by the community.

A portion of the Terms of Use for the Foundry stipulates that the missions you are authoring in the toolset can show up in game and become the property of Cryptic and CBS. If you don't want to give up your ideas, then don't submit them.

This is very similar to how an employee agreement works in game design. If several Cryptic employees get together at work and come up with a new game idea - it becomes the properly of Cryptic due to our employee agreement.